• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adventures in boat ownership - continues!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would also recommend against boxing them in above. You will box in the heat (which is high for a can) and probably cause the fire you are trying to protect against... Besides, the firebreak afforded by the can (which is metal) blocking the hole is very likely greater than the firebreak provided by the drywall. So I think you are covered.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seeing as how there's no living space above, there's probably not a requirement for any type of fire resistive barrier anyway.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@itsdgm I do have bonus room above the original double garage. But even so I believe having the recessed lights in garage without boxing it in is still within code. When we did the electrical rough-in inspection they didn't say anything about it. We'll be doing the final electrical inspection in the near future.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Although it might be missed in the inspection or not in your local building code, I would look into it for the sake of my family's safety. My local code mandates 2 layers of drywall or fire rated material and zero penetrations and a fire rated door going into the living space.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you do that, I would ensure that the fixture is rated to be enclosed (and note the clearances spec'd) and use something like a Tenmat enclosure, designed for purpose. That is especially important if you have (or will have) incandescent fixtures.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just about had a heart attack today. When I pulled the boat into the garage last week, I pulled the tower down and lay the tower support piece that has the wake rack on the seats to the sides and today when I picked it up to put the tower backup there was nice imprint of the part from the grease that was there. I tried cleaning it with 303 Aerospace but couldn't take the grease off the seats. Only after about hour of cleaning with Dawn I was able to get the grease off the seats. I really thought I was going to have to live with grease imprint of the tower support on the seats. LOL!

Anyways seats are clean as new now with no trace of grease and I was able to put the tower up in my garage with 1/2" to spare.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Quick question on Battery Tender. I have model 021- 0123. I have not used this and it came with the boat from the original owner. Do I just leave this plugged in during the whole winter storage? Do I need to turn the battery power to the boat to on or can I just leave it off?

I have it plugged in right now with boat battery powered off and Battery Tender is just blinking red and green light.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From what I see about the model of charger, it is smart and fully automatic which means that while left unattended it won't overcharge your battery.

So.... Yes, leave it hooked up with the battery switch off.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf Thanks for the info. I will leave it plugged in with battery set to off.

It was blinking green and red but now it just has red light. I wonder if that means battery is fully charged.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wish I had known this before but I found out the hard way.

If you are taking the tower down on your 212x, DO NOT put the support bracket you removed on the seats. There is bunch of grease on the back side of that bracket!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alternating green and red sounds like it was analyzing the battery's charge state. Red = charging, green = charged/floating

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Alternating red/green used to mean battery failed analysis. My 2002 tender is red while analyzing and charging and green when good.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alternating red/green used to mean battery failed analysis. My 2002 tender is red while analyzing and charging and green when good.
That's correct...just looked at the manual.

@dansshin You may have a bad battery or poor connection.

ALTERNATING RED & GREEN LIGHTS FLASHING --This is abnormal and most likely indicates either that the battery is sulfated or that there is a poor electrical connection between the charger DC output and the battery posts.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf I looked at this couple days ago and it was sitting solid green. Looked at it yesterday and it was blinking green so looks like it fixed itself from doing the red & green blinking. Do I just leave it plugged the whole winter?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, leave it plugged in when not using the boat... Even during the boating season.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just about had a heart attack today. When I pulled the boat into the garage last week, I pulled the tower down and lay the tower support piece that has the wake rack on the seats to the sides and today when I picked it up to put the tower backup there was nice imprint of the part from the grease that was there. I tried cleaning it with 303 Aerospace but couldn't take the grease off the seats. Only after about hour of cleaning with Dawn I was able to get the grease off the seats. I really thought I was going to have to live with grease imprint of the tower support on the seats. LOL!

Anyways seats are clean as new now with no trace of grease and I was able to put the tower up in my garage with 1/2" to spare.
Who is this, "Dawn", that helped you? Dawn Wells from Gilligan's Island?