• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adventures in boat ownership - continues!

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the tip @Noko . I have not gotten the boat in the garage yet. I think another week.

Yamaha had the wrong tower height measurements in the 2013 catalog for 212x. I went with info from @JetBoatPilot for the measurements.

Just to clarify I went with 8' door height based on the information in the video.

Last edited:

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@David D LOL! I've been thinking about if I should buy that LED bulb for $25/each last couple days. I told my wife about the idea and she said I'm crazy! :confused:

It's $296.16 after 10% off + shipping for 12 bulbs. :eek:
On a serious note I have 20 LED can lights I bought for our showroom but our team didn't like the color temperature (too white; they wanted warm white). If you want them, I'll sell 'em for $10 each. There actually may be 23 or 24. I'd have to check.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@David D Yeah, I'm definitely interested. What's the kelvin and what size are they? I was looking for R40 5000k LEDs.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 212x and mine fits under my 8' header with a couple of inches to spare. I have to lower the trailer pretty low to get in, so low that it would not be possible to do with my truck. I use a trailer valet for the final positioning.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got CREE LEDs from Home depot. They were 50% off so they came to $2.50 a bulb for the 60Watt equivalents. I put them everywhere! Your choice between warm white or bright white.

I just saw that Either Lowes or HD is offering 25% off garage organizer cabinets until supplies run out. Might be worth checking them out. Ill post a link if i can find it.

Here it is.
http://www.lowes.com/25-off-Gladiator-Garage-Cabinets-and-Accessories/_/N-1z0uw68/pl?selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean@35da35da]&storeNumber=2627&URL=http://www.lowes.com/25-off-Gladiator-Garage-Cabinets-and-Accessories/_/N-1z0uw68/pl#!#!

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here are some more pictures of the update. I finally have the boat in the garage. :winkingthumbsup" I was able to just fold down the tower and back right in using our MDX with about 3" to spare. I have about 2.5 feet in the front and 2 feet in the back. I wasn't able to paint the walls or do the epoxy on the floor yet due to temperature. I'll have to wait for spring to take care of those. Still trying to figure out work station setup and some storage setup options.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am so envious.
Congratulations

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@buckbuck It was a lot of hassle and stress to try and manage this project on the side of my normal job but after seeing the boat in there and thinking about possible uses I'll have in the future for the new space, I'm so happy and relieved that I went on this journey and got it completed. I think I've learned great deal from this and even have few things I wish I could have done differently like bumping out even the existing back wall to maximize the space but overall I'm satisfied.

@Bruce Just wanted to "Thank You" again for all your insights and knowledge on construction you shared with me. I'm so glad I did extend the garage 2' more. Right now I feel I have ample space to walk around the boat but without that 2' I think it would have been tight squeeze. Now I kind of wish I would have bumped out additional 10' section of existing garage back wall too to get same depth on the entire double stall.

Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement during this process! Hopefully I can return the favor and help a member with this experience in the future.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Awesome setup. Jealous also.... to have a total of 4 car spaces! :)

Two things off topic:
1) How do you like towing with the MDX? I may consider one of those when my 2014 Explorer Sport lease is up
2) Careful with LED Bulbs: they are awesome, but some of the cheaper made ones cause a lot of RF noise and actually interfered with my garage door openers. It took me a month to figure out the correlation.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Howdy new neighbor! ;) New home for both of my babies and MDX gets the other stall by itself.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@ncnmra So far no issues with towing 212x with MDX but I'm usually going short distances. Im not sure if there would be any issues with longer trips. I would think not. You have to get the towing kit and tranny cooler if you need to tow up to 5000lbs.

I did the install of tow kit and the tranny cooler. Tow kit was installed pretty easily but tranny install was bit of pain, mainly because there is hardly any room to work in unless you have a lift.

Last edited:

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I have to ask...what do the can lights in the garage do to the fire protection from the extra thick drywall?

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I used 5/8" fire resistant drywall for my walls and ceiling. I'm not sure if there is any special requirement due to recessed lights in my area.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used 5/8" fire resistant drywall for my walls and ceiling. I'm not sure if there is any special requirement due to recessed lights in my area.
No idea in my area either. Was just wondering. Might make sense to box them in from above if you have access.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When I did my basement several years ago, I put in ~ 30 recess lights. I had no issues with inspection at the time or any issues from usage since it's been installed. I think the recess light kit provides level of protection under normal usage/application from it causing fire.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I did my basement several years ago, I put in ~ 30 recess lights. I had no issues with inspection at the time or any issues from usage since it's been installed. I think the recess light kit provides level of protection under normal usage/application from it causing fire.
Basements are different though. At least where I live, you need a fireproof door between the garage and the house but not the basement and house.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice work!

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@davel501 Now I see what you mean. You are talking about fire protection by the recess lights incase of fire in the garage and it spreading through that. I guess I wasn't considering that at all. I'll have to check that and at the minimum put smoke detector and co2 detector in there.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would leave the CO2 detector out because it will get triggered constantly and you'll end up beating it off of the ceiling with a broom.