• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adventures in boat ownership - continues!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My opinion is that not having access to the wall from the outside may make it more difficult but it should be possible to build the header from the inside regardless of what brick is in place. There should be a gap between the brick and the framing. So you should be able to frame inside without disturbing the brick.

Here are some pictures of my garage door headers. They are way more than what you would need. I have two stories of brick (22 feet) over the garage doors. My headers are three 12" LVLs with a 2x12 added to the inside to fill the gap. Then I lag bolted a piece of 4"x6" angle to the outside for a brick lentil. The 6" side is up for greater strength. I believe there are four 2x8s vertically supporting each end of each header. The 2x8s are tucked inside the 8.25" SIP panels that make up my walls. When looking at these remember that there is an air gap of several inches between the framing and the brick.

2011-05-30_15-42-41_112-me.jpg 2011-05-30_16-04-33_927-me.jpg 2011-05-31_16-02-43_344-me.jpg

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce Thanks for the pictures. I love your views from the lot! Is that in the mountains some where?

I believe code here is 1" of air space between brick and sheathing to allow for expansion and contraction.

If I don't have to remove all the bricks above the half way mark then I think issue with my brick guy wanting $1500 more will go away. I should have access to above the door from inside the garage. My dad is coming by again tonight so I'll see what he thinks.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BruceI love your views from the lot! Is that in the mountains some where?
Our basement slab is 92' above a 1/2 mile wide and 1 mile long bay of Lake Hamilton in Royal, Arkansas. On a clear day we can see seven rows of the Ozark mountains in the distance. @Rana wanted a mountain view and I wanted lake access. This is our compromise. And once I get my ski lift finished we will both have what we wanted.

image.jpg

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce That is gorgeous view! Very jealous...

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here are some more pictures of my progress. It's been slow moving but making progress and I think I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.....or is it a train! Hopefully few more weeks and it should be completed!!!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking good @dansshin keep the updates coming.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here are few more pictures on the progress. We are very close to the finish line and getting anxious to get my boat in there before the snow starts coming. Framing & Electrical inspection passed, Roof is on, Floor is in. My new brick guy came out today and started on the brick work on the front and said he should be done tomorrow and my new garage door is scheduled for install on Tuesday. Hopefully in couple weeks it will be all done and my boat will be sitting in it's new home! :winkingthumbsup"

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@dansshin, This is boat modding at its BEST! Who knew how these things add up? Ill be looking to add a new garage over the new year myself. Glad things are almost done for you.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looking forward to seeing your garage project. Having gone through this once I think I can do a better garage next time. :)

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The inside of that garage looks like the inside of the house. I see you spending a lot of time out there.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@SCSTWG It'll look better when the taping, mudding, painting & epoxy is complete. I have 12 recessed lights to help light up any projects I may be working on in there. Looking at possibly getting some LED bulbs for these. I still need to get some cabinets, workstation & tools to make it useful. Also need heater for winter to make it useful all year around.

If anyone has good suggestion for cabinets and workstation setup let me know. My floor has 7° slope so need to some how compensate for that.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
They finished the brick yesterday. It was like 90 degrees yesterday here in MN and today it's like 50 degrees. LOL!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Costco had real nice black wrinkle finish base and wall cabinets along with a work bench for $999.00 Definitely worth the money. Have not seen them locally since they changed over for Christmas stuff by us. But if they have 1 left by you they'll usually let it go at up to 50% off.

Last edited:

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No doubt it will be an awesome workshop. Regarding cabinets, you can easily spend thousands. For the money, I like the Gladiator line. They are on sale often and you can get 30" upper cabinets for $100.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at possibly getting some LED bulbs for these
If it were me, I'd go ahead and get LED bulbs, My local Lowes has had LED bulbs on sale recently, I get some everytime I go, I almost have my whole house switched to LED. The previous owners had CFL bulbs everywhere that takes forever to warm up and get to their full brightness, I didn't like those at all. Especially in areas that you turn lights on just for a quick look, like the pantry.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Costco has had some great prices on LED floods too - replaced all of the ones in our house with them.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Last edited:

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@dansshin, you just ruined my life. I have a "light bulb fetish" and just spent the last hour looking at 1000bulbs.com. I'm in love. Don't tell my wife.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@David D LOL! I've been thinking about if I should buy that LED bulb for $25/each last couple days. I told my wife about the idea and she said I'm crazy! :confused:

It's $296.16 after 10% off + shipping for 12 bulbs. :eek:

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you gotten the boat near the garage door? You said you went off Yamaha specs for the boat height. I'm still wondering if the boat will fit under the garage header. Anyone else here know what clearance you need for his boat? I'm not trying to be a pain but the door clearance has always been an issue. Just my opinion, I'd back the boat up to the door and see if it will fit. There are a lot of issues with the boat fitting in the garage, slope and tilt of the trailer.8

My boat is a 2013 AR240. The contractor and I measured the boat on the trailer. I think it came in at 8'5" or somewhere around there. I had a new building built this summer and the door header is at 10'. So I get about a foot and a half clearance.

Last edited: