• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Aftermarket drive shaft?

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Does anyone have any idea who or where I could find an aftermarket drive shaft? Or maybe a used one out of a junk boat? After an elective choice to install new impellers over the winter, I am now looking at a boat-less season. I was changing simply because they are 10 years old and they had some wear, but definitely usable. After I failed at removing one of the impellers from the driveshaft, I went to the dealer to see if they could remove it, also with no success. long story short, I now need a driveshaft, which was originally no big deal, we will just order a new one......which has been on backorder for some time now and shows no ship date from across the pond.

ok here is what you do, using a thin cut off wheel cut almost all the way through the impeller housing base , you may need to remove 1 fin to have a good access then when you are nearly through use a thick chisel or an air chisel and go down the cut not toward the shaft but parallel to it to split the housing and remove the impeller then you can install a new one.

Or take it to a competent machine shop and ask them for help?

Also you must be cautious of trying too many times to remove the impeller or this could happen https://jetboaters.net/threads/2014-ar-192-drive-shaft-broken-wont-come-out.28922/ once the shaft gets a tiny fracture from all the torque put on it to remove the impeller if it is really stuck the shaft can fail later on. I have had to cut the impellers off of 2 of them in the past. here is a post from about 7 years ago when I cut off the first one. https://jetboaters.net/threads/finally-performance-mods-for-yamaha-1-8-motors.6592/#post-113401 now once you get the impeller off you can replace it and be back on the water.

how mangled is it ??

I wonder if a shaft out of a ski is the same ??

depending on how messed up it is I think I'd visit a local ski shop or as mentioned above, machine shop,

reading in the other thread about the guy waiting on a transducer for over a year, I think i'd pay the price to have one made to save the season,

depending on your boating habits you could also just clamp that engine's cooling line and go one engine, it won't be fast but you'll be on the water,

shafts.. hmmmmm... get busy with the parts catalogue.. also SBT lists shaft lengths. For the 155mm pumps Ive had 20mm OEM shafts fail and SBT stainless ones fail...... Ive twisted the splines off and sheared shafts... right now i have 20mm SBT shafts in from the 135 HP 1200's with solas 12/18's however i am not expecting them to hold up to the new 160 HP MR1's so I have a couple of OEM 22mm shafts on deck with oem 11/20's these are out of a 2006 FX cruiser HO and I think they crossover to an 2006 AR230 HO... i forget the shaft lengths but I think there are less than 0.125 different... search a little... also some of the later OEM stator castings have been horribly misaligned and took a bit of die grinder work to get them to behave...

note to self while its fun to go fast in the heavy chop and jump wakes with a boat.. impeller shafts do not like shock loading from the jet intakes being unported... throttle back LOL

Last edited:
Check skat trak if they can either source one for you or custom make one. I think it was them who made me a custom driveshaft 8 years ago for a carbon stand up jet ski that I had.

@Trm1765, How was the drive shaft damaged? Can you not put it back in?

Did you try heating the impeller with a torch?

Call around some junk yards.
Also Watch ebay.
Just saw this, looks like what you need.
Edit: But then you still will need new bearings and impeller.

Last edited:
Back