• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Air Filter Upgrades - Performance vs Sound?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have tried various air filter mods in my two yammies. The most recent one - I thought - was the hands down winner:

The good:
  1. Those are Stainless Steel pods that replace the whole factory boxes
  2. Perfect fit! (I posted on that somewhere else)
  3. I have inserted a piece of CC foam between the top of the pod and the bilge bulkhead - sit PERFECT.
  4. Re-used all OEM connectors, which is even nicer
  5. And those are also flame arrestors, which is fine - after ribbon delete one technically needs flame arrestors, FWIW

The ugly:
  • Well, noise.

I have a lot of soundproofing in the boat already, don't want to take a step back...
...unless the performance gains warrant reevaluation!

I'll use this post to update my testing results.

I will be testing factory boxes vs SS pods under various loads and will swap the boxes with pods on the water, so the conditions should not be a factor which is can be a big issue. Boxes will go back in with and w/o snorkels. I may consider additional cut-outs, like @gmtech16450yz did.

I will be tracking RPM gains/loses and noise (as perceived by my ears).

Well, the boat is in the back yard, ready top roll.

And then... I woke up to this - ARGHHH! - so no testing today...
upload_2018-3-11_15-18-19.png

--

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I feel your pain... it went from 80% chance of rain and 20mph winds to beautiful and 80 degrees today.

Joking aside, has there been any gain with any filters? Today's motors are so darn efficient not much does anything to improve it (despite what manufactures say). For example, the only intake on my truck that shows real world gains is one that forces air in through the front grille, everything else is just for looks pretty much.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey Swatski ! Are those K&N assemblies ? If so , can you post the part number ?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel your pain... it went from 80% chance of rain and 20mph winds to beautiful and 80 degrees today.

Joking aside, has there been any gain with any filters? Today's motors are so darn efficient not much does anything to improve it (despite what manufactures say). For example, the only intake on my truck that shows real world gains is one that forces air in through the front grille, everything else is just for looks pretty much.
Oh there are certainly gains to be achieved, easily, on the air intakes in 1.8 N/As. Most of it is with the ribbon delete - which is a must do mod, IMO, gains of about 150-200RPM on top typically assuming properly pitched impellers to start with (the engines not hitting e-limiters before ribbon/snorkel delete).

With the new filter pods - I really need to test it, I would think in normal WOT runs probably 50 RPM gain or so - not much and may not be worth the extra noise. But the key is to test under loads as with the heavy ballast wake surfing those engines can really work hard. I showed some of the limitations of the intakes with extra ballast on the swim platform - in the other thread.

I've been out just once with the new filters - and while I was VERY happy with the performance, it occurred to me the motors run LOUDER - and that is a serious consideration!
If my side-by-side testing shows filter upgrade gains to be significant - I will need to focus on extra sound deadening.
If the testing shows marginal gains, the factory box filters will go back on, with or without snorkels - TBD.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Swatski ! Are those K&N assemblies ? If so , can you post the part number ?
Sorry!
This is the best part of the deal - I found those at a really great price.

From TunersDepot.com

ITEM QTY. PRICE
CPT Universal Stainless Steel Air Filter (Black) - 3" Inches 2 $19.95

Sub: $39.90
Shipping: $0.00
Insurance: $0.00
Tax(CA 7.75%): $0.00
Total Amount: $39.90

BTW - if I decide to go back to OEM filters (if RPM gains are not great in my boat in direct tests) - those will be up for grabs - free to whoever wants to try them next .

--

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@swatski , will these be a direct swap on the supercharged 1.8's? If so, @haknslash, want to get both of them with me and give them a try...assuming swatski does what we know he's gonna do?

Obviously, I'm willing to pay. It's great to have you willing to do all the r&d, the least we can do is help finance your curiosity. ;)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski , will these be a direct swap on the supercharged 1.8's? If so, @haknslash, want to get both of them with me and give them a try...assuming swatski does what we know he's gonna do?

Obviously, I'm willing to pay. It's great to have you willing to do all the r&d, the least we can do is help finance your curiosity. ;)
The OEM connectors fit so - it is a direct replacement for the OEM boxes, perfect fit. I have the tops pegged up against the bulkhead - with enough room to place a closed cell foam pad.

If those are not giving me what I need, I'll certainly pass them along, if you guys want to pay shipping that's fine, will let you know, will need a shipping address. But wait! It could still work...

I will consider the mid range where ribbon delete gains are great, not just WOT /max RPM.

I'm really bummed this turned out pretty loud...

--

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski , I have been on Turner Depot website doing some research. It almost looks to me like the CPTs are designed for a louder . more performance type sound due to the wire mesh filtration. They describe them that way. K&N makes a part number RU-3580 that dimensions look comparable to the CPT. Yes , they are pricey and your paying for the brand name. They are rubber flange and cap and may be quieter ? Washable cotton gauze filter media . Probable not flame arrestors but as you mentioned earlier , who cares ? What are your thoughts as to that being an alternative ?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski , I have been on Turner Depot website doing some research. It almost looks to me like the CPTs are designed for a louder . more performance type sound due to the wire mesh filtration. They describe them that way. K&N makes a part number RU-3580 that dimensions look comparable to the CPT. Yes , they are pricey and your paying for the brand name. They are rubber flange and cap and may be quieter ? Washable cotton gauze filter media . Probable not flame arrestors but as you mentioned earlier , who cares ? What are your thoughts as to that being an alternative ?
Great tip!!!
I couldn't quite figure it out on the K&N site they had me so confused. My thinking was - the Tuner Depot SS pods represent the most extreme version as far as free-flowing air - those are about as close to not having any filters at all as it gets.

If I see improvements with the SS pods that would justify a switch to pods if testing shows promise (looking at WOT max RPM numbers and my seat-of-the-pants mid range) - I will get the RU-3580 for sure. But I don't know how much quieter the RU-3580 would be - I realized that the OEM filters are probably designed to be enclosed in those awkward boxes with snorkels - for sound suppression!

--

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Since I am employed by a K&N distributor , I'm not risking quite as much $$ to give them a shot !! Going to get two tomorrow and will report back once installed.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since I am employed by a K&N distributor , I'm not risking quite as much $$ to give them a shot !! Going to get two tomorrow and will report back once installed.
Awesome! Very curious about any change in sound/noise aspect of those.

With the Tuner Depot SS filters - the difference in sound/noise level is quite noticeable. Not only louder but also changed sound, more harsh and "metallic". Not pleasant.

By comparison, I would describe a change in sound after ribbon delete as more "throaty", definitely not unpleasant. This was different - and more "shrill".

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did yu delete the ribbon on your 240 now? what was the top speed change? I always figured it was about 3 mph.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I too deleted the ribbon in my 240 within the first season of operation. My wife is not going to allow much more noise in the passenger compartment and will be the first to notice IF the air filter mod creates undesirable results !! I had not yet removed the "snorkels" from the OE filter housing. I'm not expecting a noice decrease. Easier access to the intake area , oil filters and less clutter in the bulkhead area would be a big enough reward for my time , effort , and expense ? A foot of snow last night however may delay my project a few days ?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

If there is a sound increase then I won't bother with it. The ribbon delete as mentioned gave an increase in noise but it's more throatier and easier on the ears. Mine is loud enough as it is don't need any more sound :D and I'm content with the performance I have now since the heat soak has been resolved. I would actually be content with putting the ribbon back in but that's too much of a PITA that I can't be bothered again with it :D. Doing that test demo in the vdrive really let me know just how nice it is to be able to have a conversation while underway :cool:

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Alright guys, someone needs to brave the cold go test these filters.

I need to know which one I should buy.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Easy for a guy from Alabama to tell a guy from Kentucky to "brave the cold" !! lol. I did pick up the K&N filters a couple days ago and it will be the first mod I test after getting the boat on the water (hopefully first week of April) . Will keep you posted.

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anybody seen the Riva filter . They are also made by k&n and include a sock for water intrusion; i will be ordering a pair with my ribbon delete and kanaflex to do the air mods. The filter i talk about comes with every aif filter for their pwc kits, maybe something to look at

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anybody seen the Riva filter . They are also made by k&n and include a sock for water intrusion; i will be ordering a pair with my ribbon delete and kanaflex to do the air mods. The filter i talk about comes with every aif filter for their pwc kits, maybe something to look at
Good question! Not sure how they would fit in the boat, but if they do - could be nice with the rigid and angled tube blocking sound.
here is mine with the pods:
upload_2018-3-17_23-40-41.png

--