• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8L Ribbon Delete, part numbers and information listed.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't want to hear how easy it is lol. It is not so simple on supercharged lol. Putting mine back together now.

Amazing the engine can even breathe with this in there !!

I know. I am dreading it on my FZR

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know. I am dreading it on my FZR
Let me know what day you plan to do it and I'll do a special dance to send good vibes your way haha. My arms and legs look like I got in a fight with a box of razor blades.....and I lost!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nothing about the ribbon delete was really hard or anything. It was just time consuming and for a bigger guy it's tight to squeeze my body in the hatch and around the bottom of the engine. Wasn't all that pleasant still being a little tender post surgery either lol. It's much easier and faster for the NA guys so that's all I meant by it.

That's a nice looking engine!

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ok, dumb shit award question, Why do you need anything behind the throttle body?, cant you take the ribbon out and run it like that.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok, dumb shit award question, Why do you need anything behind the throttle body?, cant you take the ribbon out and run it like that.
Yes you can just remove the ribbon and gasket and that would be it. However looking inside the throttle body there is a flat bore section where the ribbon would sit. Imagine a little wall the air would hit and become disrupted. The sleeve basically fills in that area so that it's a smooth path to the intake manifold.

Last edited:

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I took a look at the throttle intake and noticed 2 sets of bolts. 4 of them where hex with a textured round head, the others were actual bolts with red loctite. From the Riva install pic, the arrestor is behind the 4 hex tool bolts? I could not even get any of those to budge. Should I use a set of vice grips to get them started? Didn't have those with me. Is it best to take the cover off the air filter and then take off the 2 screw type clamps and then take those 4 bolts off?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never use vise grips unless its a last resort.
Unclip the air box half and the screw clamp to the throttle boot and move aside
Then it is easy to get the four 10mm(i believe) bolts out, then its a straight shot to the four 12mm(i believe)

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What made it easier for me was using an extension to reach those bolts. That way they ratchet out easier.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
But the 10mm bolts are the ones that take a hex head bit, not a box wrench, correct?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry that I can't remember. Been a while now. But I do remember getting an extension the socket helped me tremendously.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine used regular 6 point sockets

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Nick Hughes
upload_2017-4-24_13-57-38.png
upload_2017-4-24_13-58-18.png

Don't loose this gasket:
upload_2017-4-24_13-59-4.png

There is white locktite stuff on the threads. ALso - use the wood screw trick if the ribbon is stuck:
upload_2017-4-24_14-0-34.png

Hope this helps! You will love it - running without those stupid chokers! Unleashes about 200-300 RPM on top.
And while on it, delete the "snorkels" in the filter boxes as well.
upload_2017-4-24_14-1-42.png

--

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Now I know why no one was understanding me. The bolts you removed, are actually nuts on mine engines and the bolts that connect to the engine, require hex stud bits, not another set of bolts. Odd that they are that different, but maybe not.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now I know why no one was understanding me. The bolts you removed, are actually nuts on mine engines and the bolts that connect to the engine, require hex stud bits, not another set of bolts. Odd that they are that different, but maybe not.
Ha...! That is interesting.
Well, Yamaha did go through some changes - back and forth - on the 1.8 intake manifolds over the last few years, like they couldn't make up their minds, lol. Glad you figured that out. It will be worth it at the end!

--

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So , after the ribbon is out and the Aqua Ring has been installed , is it still OK to use fogging oil spray in the intake ? I know , that is months away for most of us BUT not sure what the ring is made of and what effect , if any , the oil would have on it ?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The most i have ever seen with cold temps and just me on board with 50 to 75% fuel was 52

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what else you have done? I'm only at 45 at best
Check to see which emission model you have? I've heard those have lower speeds than the normal emission engines. So many factors in why you are only getting 45 mph at best. Is your Bimini top up while on the move? Windy conditions? More details would help.