• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amateur Hour Here!

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First off hello and thank-you. A quick background about me, I grew up in FL my entire life and never had a family boat or knew anyone with a boat (shocker I know)!

Now that I am a 30 something with a wife and two kids (8 and 6), I would love to get into boating and share in the experience and lifelong memories with them. We live in the Tampa Bay Area and can be on the water pretty much year round.

I’ve always been fond of waverunners and the excitement they bring, however, not the best choice for a day out on the water with the family. I feel like I been obsessing over making the correct choice best suited for us and our situation, and I feel like I have zeroed in on a Yamaha jet boat. We are looking at a new boat, although I know its highly recommended to buy used for the first go around, but I feel like for a few thousand more I can buy new with peace of mind. Plus when I look it seems to be slim pickin’s out there for my criteria. Which leads me to my question.

I feel the SX190 is the right fit for my family and I, although I have a few reservations about size and power. The 190 fits the right price point and seems like it would be the most cost effective (obviously!). We would mostly cruise in the boat, island hop, swim, and do some tubing, however, I would like to leave room for some potential wakeboarding down the road and occasionally bring friends on the boat. Would the SX210 be better suited to fit those needs in salt water or is the SX190 plenty of boat for my first go at it? Would the twin engines and larger size of the 210 be more of a challenge for a first time boater?

Thanks all in advance and there will be more questions to come. Also I’m not looking to pull the trigger on the purchase until later this year, maybe after Labor Day in hopes of finding a great deal and saving just a little longer. Again thank you and this forum has already been a huge help.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can't comment on the twins vs single. I've always had a single, and it's worked for me. I don't go offshore so the added security isn't a big deal for me.

One thing I will recommend.......Get a tower. The AR's aren't that much more expensive than the SX boats, and the tower adds SOOO many benefits to the boat. I have this list in another thread, but I can't find it currently so here it is again off the cuff so to speak.

1. better resale value (won't add to the price, but will sell faster when you upgrade)
2. Somewhere to hold that ISN'T the windshield at the dock
3. You can hang a hammock from it, best place to nap IMO.
4. Great place to mount speakers for sound behind the boat at anchor
5. You can hang a baby swing from it (You don't have babies, but others might). Keeps the little tike secure and in the shade while at anchor
6. The anchor light is integrated into the tower (no pole to lose/drop/break)
7. It just looks cool. All your non-boating friends will think you bought a wakeboat :D
8. Helps when tieing up with other boats. Gives them something to grab onto to hold you in place
8a. Helps with locations to tie bumpers to when docking or tieing up with others
9. Gets the bimini top mounts up off the gunwales and provides a clearer view of your surroundings
9a. The bimini stows away while still attached to the tower. Nothing to step over/move around when not in use
10. It's good for watersports (this one feels obvious, so I put it towards the bottom). The higher tow point helps folks come out of the water easier when learning
11. Great place to hang towels to dry
12. The 8 and 6yr old WILL use them as monkey bars. It won't hurt anything and they'll get a kick out of it

We'll never have another boat without a tower on it. It's seriously worth the money and effort to get one IMO.

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can't comment on the twins vs single. I've always had a single, and it's worked for me. I don't go offshore so the added security isn't a big deal for me.

One thing I will recommend.......Get a tower. The AR's aren't that much more expensive than the SX boats, and the tower adds SOOO many benefits to the boat. I have this list in another thread, but I can't find it currently so here it is again off the cuff so to speak.

1. better resale value (won't add to the price, but will sell faster when you upgrade)
5. You can hang a baby swing from it (You don't have babies, but others might). Keeps the little tike secure and in the shade while at anchor
7. It just looks cool. All your non-boating friends will think you bought a wakeboat :D
8. Helps when tieing up with other boats. Gives them something to grab onto to hold you in place
8a. Helps with locations to tie bumpers to when docking or tieing up with others
9. Gets the bimini top mounts up off the gunwales and provides a clearer view of your surroundings
9a. The bimini stows away while still attached to the tower. Nothing to step over/move around when not in use
10. It's good for watersports (this one feels obvious, so I put it towards the bottom). The higher tow point helps folks come out of the water easier when learning
12. The 8 and 6yr old WILL use them as monkey bars. It won't hurt anything and they'll get a kick out of it

We'll never have another boat without a tower on it. It's seriously worth the money and effort to get one IMO.
Wow, all great points and thank you for taking the time to break it down. I love the look of a tower and didn’t realize they were capable of holding that much weight in a hammock, that’s awesome.

Really the only down side I see from the AR is the the lack of a second captain’s chair. I love the idea of having two chairs that swivel. It’s a tough decision and you made a great argument. I may have been persuaded. Thanks for the info.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow, all great points and thank you for taking the time to break it down. I love the look of a tower and didn’t realize they were capable of holding that much weight in a hammock, that’s awesome
Numbers 9 and 11 I really like.
Really the only down side I see from the AR is the the lack of a second captain’s chair. I love the idea of having two chairs that swivel. It’s a tough decision and you made a great argument. I may have been persuaded. Thanks for the info.
Same here for the two bucket seats - that's why they made the 195s model which we ordered and hope it comes in soon after this craziness dies down.
:D

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Question about the Bimini tops, with or without a tower. I’ve noticed on some of the larger, higher end boats the bimini tops tilt! Love that feature! I am a taller guy and love anything that makes the ceiling height taller. Do the 19 and 21 foot Yamaha boats have tops that tilt?

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Question about the Bimini tops, with or without a tower. I’ve noticed on some of the larger, higher end boats the bimini tops tilt! Love that feature! I am a taller guy and love anything that makes the ceiling height taller. Do the 19 and 21 foot Yamaha boats have tops that tilt?
I don't think so - the back of the bimini toward the stern can be adjusted slightly up/down with length adjustments for tow rope clearance, but I think that's it.

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

@2kwik4u can you do the same on an SX with an aftermarket tower? I'm looking at pulling the trigger on either an AR230 or an SX230, just curious if you've got experience with the aftermarket side and if the strength can hold up the same as the factory towers on the AR? Should qualify I'm shopping the used market so not as simple as just, "get the AR."

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u can you do the same on an SX with an aftermarket tower? I'm looking at pulling the trigger on either an AR230 or an SX230, just curious if you've got experience with the aftermarket side and if the strength can hold up the same as the factory towers on the AR? Should qualify I'm shopping the used market so not as simple as just, "get the AR."
A tower from a reputable builder (Like Monster) that is properly installed with backing plates onto a strong hull should be able to handle a hammock.

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
I am 6'3 and own a ar190 and I don't have problems walking under the Bimini when it's deployed.

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Just wanted to tell you @Patman941 I would highly recommend going out or at least sitting in a ar190 and 195s. In my personal opinion the ar190 feels a little bigger and has more seating than a 195s. But I will say if I had to do it again I would have gotten a ar210. They do have more room but I wanted to make sure I would really like the Yamaha boats. I can tell you that I feel they are the easiest ones ever to maintain. I've owned a regal 2200, regal 2450, rinker 19 bowrider, and a Triton 19 fish and ski addition. I will never turn back from a Yamaha now!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everything that @2kwik4u said. If you can afford the bigger boat and twin engines I think that would be the way to go. It will handle those coastal waters so much better. I'm of the mindset that I knew if I bought a 21' I would have regretted not going for the 24'. I ended up buying a new AR240 for my first boat, and I'm so glad I did.

Have you seen the current promotion for Yamaha? $2000 off OR 5 year warranty. 0% intrest and no payment for 90 days. 1.99% financing for 5 years and 3.99% for the remainder... that's a pretty incredible offer! Best I've seen. In the last 5 years...

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First off hello and thank-you. A quick background about me, I grew up in FL my entire life and never had a family boat or knew anyone with a boat (shocker I know)!

Now that I am a 30 something with a wife and two kids (8 and 6), I would love to get into boating and share in the experience and lifelong memories with them. We live in the Tampa Bay Area and can be on the water pretty much year round.

I’ve always been fond of waverunners and the excitement they bring, however, not the best choice for a day out on the water with the family. I feel like I been obsessing over making the correct choice best suited for us and our situation, and I feel like I have zeroed in on a Yamaha jet boat. We are looking at a new boat, although I know its highly recommended to buy used for the first go around, but I feel like for a few thousand more I can buy new with peace of mind. Plus when I look it seems to be slim pickin’s out there for my criteria. Which leads me to my question.

I feel the SX190 is the right fit for my family and I, although I have a few reservations about size and power. The 190 fits the right price point and seems like it would be the most cost effective (obviously!). We would mostly cruise in the boat, island hop, swim, and do some tubing, however, I would like to leave room for some potential wakeboarding down the road and occasionally bring friends on the boat. Would the SX210 be better suited to fit those needs in salt water or is the SX190 plenty of boat for my first go at it? Would the twin engines and larger size of the 210 be more of a challenge for a first time boater?

Thanks all in advance and there will be more questions to come. Also I’m not looking to pull the trigger on the purchase until later this year, maybe after Labor Day in hopes of finding a great deal and saving just a little longer. Again thank you and this forum has already been a huge help.
Welcome to the forum. Keep this in mind: my only offshore Yamaha knowledge is from reading this site. That being said, offshore island hopping in a 19’ Yamaha would be my biggest concern in with your choice. Reading some of the past Bimini excursions where 21’ers sunk would concern me. I’d imagine that a 19’ boat would make for a rough ride.

Search out those posts and have a good read.

Anyway, again, welcome and good luck with your choice. We are ways here to help you spend your money.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome! In my opinion, I wouldn’t worry as much about the size for a first boat. While it seems like a lot, 5 feet between the smallest and largest common Yamaha model isn’t really that much when approaching a dock too fast. No matter what you get, if you’ve never captained your own boat there will be a learning curve. That being said, it sounds like you may have use for a larger boat if planning to take other families with. I’d also imagine those kids of yours won’t be getting any smaller, they’ll have friends that want to go, etc. It‘s cheaper in the long run to not have to trade in 4-5 years. With that in mind, I’d be willing to bet you can find a 1 or 2 year old boat for a heck of a deal. Let someone else take the big depreciation.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi and :Welcome: to the forum. Tons of great info here with knowledgeable members to keep you safe and on the water. We're also good at helping you spend you money.

I'm in your backyard and started out with a new 2015 SX-192. Kept it for 3 years before getting my 223 Chaparral. There's a saying here to buy your second boat first. You're gonna want a bigger boat especially here where you can boat all year long. With that said, I believe the towers fold down on the 19' and you could possibly store it in your garage. My 2 boys are grown so the tubing and skiing was not a factor although we still did some and had fun doing it. If my boys were younger I would definitely op for the AR.

In different times (pre-COVID-19), I would invite you over to give you first hand knowledge on what to expect and show where we boat. Good luck and let us know if we can help.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Only thing I have to add is something that gets said around her a lot. "Buy your second boat first". If you are waffling at all between boat and the next model/size up, get the next model/size up boat now. In my experience with boat ownership is what is good enough turns out to be not quite good enough in a year or two. That is a personal perspective though, you'll enjoy it either way you go.

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi and :Welcome: to the forum. Tons of great info here with knowledgeable members to keep you safe and on the water. We're also good at helping you spend you money.

I'm in your backyard and started out with a new 2015 SX-192. Kept it for 3 years before getting my 223 Chaparral. There's a saying here to buy your second boat first. You're gonna want a bigger boat especially here where you can boat all year long. With that said, I believe the towers fold down on the 19' and you could possibly store it in your garage. My 2 boys are grown so the tubing and skiing was not a factor although we still did some and had fun doing it. If my boys were younger I would definitely op for the AR.

In different times (pre-COVID-19), I would invite you over to give you first hand knowledge on what to expect and show where we boat. Good luck and let us know if we can help.
Thank you all for the warm welcome and wealth of knowledge. Definitely a lot to consider and I think I have been persuaded to look at the AR version and possibly swap out the bench seat for a Captain’s chair (if it doesn’t break the bank). The tower offers too much not to opt for it and I’m sure I would regret that decision a year or two into ownership.

Dean thanks for the gracious, non-COVID era, invite. Once this all settles down I’d love to take you up on that offer and even just do a walk around with you of your boat. I’m in Bradenton, what part of the Bay Area are you located?

Again thanks to all. I’m getting crazy excited! Keep the comments coming.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Since you would be offshore often in the gulf with its unpredictable weather and you mentioned taking extra friends and families onboard at times, I'd go for the larger 21' boat for the added freeboard and extra engine for redundancy. I had a 192 and it did fine in the gulf with 5 people onboard but it gets tossed a little. A taller boat and more room will be better in the long run IMO. I'm not real big on the TR1 engines and would prefer the 1.8L's if it were me.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thank you all for the warm welcome and wealth of knowledge. Definitely a lot to consider and I think I have been persuaded to look at the AR version and possibly swap out the bench seat for a Captain’s chair (if it doesn’t break the bank). The tower offers too much not to opt for it and I’m sure I would regret that decision a year or two into ownership.

Dean thanks for the gracious, non-COVID era, invite. Once this all settles down I’d love to take you up on that offer and even just do a walk around with you of your boat. I’m in Bradenton, what part of the Bay Area are you located?

Again thanks to all. I’m getting crazy excited! Keep the comments coming.
I live on a canal in St Pete and have access to TampBay. I would love to show you the ropes. If you want to quarantine yourself for 2 weeks in my backyard that's fine and I'll take you out (on the boat!) lol. This COVID thing is getting old fast. Seriously, look me up again and I'll tell/show/teach you everything I can regarding these jet boats. You're gonna love it! I guarantee it. My boys were your kids age when I first got into boating. Best times of our lives. Would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Here's a recent picture I posted the other day. Love where I live! 🙂
1586536285229.png

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I second the buy your second boat first advice. Applies to tractors too....

I know it's hard to be patient once you've made up your mind, but I have to believe there will be a flood of used boats hitting the market due to people having financial troubles as a result of the shutdowns.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My advise. Buy used and bigger.
We originally looked at the 19' foot boats. Found out quickly that for a few grand more we could get into the 21' space.
We also like the benefit of twin engines.
We purchased last year in Aug of 2019, I can tell you this wont be our last boat. Over the last few months I have discovered what I love and dont love about our 212X. But she does a great job for now. If this will be your forever boat, do lots of reading and research and DONT rush it.
Also, plan to have deep pockets as modding is LOTS of fun :)