• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor locker leaks in models with current hull

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I saw this somewhere on the site
:oops::oops::oops: WHOA!!! I would have never thought (based on the advertised dimensions) that it would have fit. Then again, do you think that might be the 8 pounder and not the 13 pound one? I'll be really happy if it does fit. I would have to put a small piece of rubber right there where that half moon arc touches the fiberglass to prevent chafing. Interesting, thanks for sharing that.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:oops::oops::oops: WHOA!!! I would have never thought (based on the advertised dimensions) that it would have fit. Then again, do you think that might be the 8 pounder and not the 13 pound one? I'll be really happy if it does fit. I would have to put a small piece of rubber right there where that half moon arc touches the fiberglass to prevent chafing. Interesting, thanks for sharing that.
I don’t remember who posted this but he did say it was a 13. I have the same one but havent tried it yet.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I was considering that as well. Truthfully I'm not commited to any one location yet. I may start with one location and not like it and try another. I just know that Mantus won't fit up front, but have seen enough about it to convince me to get it over the other one.
I keep the rope in a small pale so it never gets tangled. I just pull the pale and the anchor out and toss the anchor, the line unravels right out of the pale. I pull it in at the rear of the boat dropping the line right into the pale and plop the anchor up and down to get the mud off.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Probably in the storage cabinet in front of the cockpit/helm, secured well of course (whatever, still learning proper boat lingo)
I've also gone with a Mantus aboard as well. Suggest keeping it stored as far astern as possible, to avoid the bow bouncing that could cause it to drill a hole in the fiberglass.

I've kept the Danforth in the anchor locker as it is perfectly fine for most lake purposes (and convenient) and keep the Mantus for when I need it's digging in or resetting strengths, when in Bimini and need it's penetration benefits in coral, or just need dual anchors. [edit addition]

I have considered cutting the anchor locker open a bit and hanging the Mantus from the Danforth. I am a bit pressed for storage with having an X.

Last edited:

Daron

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've also gone with a Mantus aboard as well. Suggest keeping it stored as far astern as possible, to avoid the bow bouncing that could cause it to drill a hole in the fiberglass.

I've kept the Danforth in the anchor locker as it is perfectly fine for most lake purposes (and convenient) and keep the Mantus for when I need it's digging in or resetting strengths, or when in Bimini and need it's penetration benefits in coral.

I have considered cutting the anchor locker open a bit and hanging the Mantus from the Danforth. I am a bit pressed for storage with having an X.
If you look on page 6 of this thread (post 120 by Marvin Willis) he posted a pic of someone with a 13lb Mantus in the front locker. Either way this weekends big project is the anchor locker and I'll post any ideas I come up with. My Mantus comes in tomorrow, I also got the new drain valve for the anchor locker. I was in Tractor Supply today and they had some really good quality 3'x4' sheets of 3/4" rubber floor mats for only $20. I'm going to trim up some pieces and line the anchor locker with it and possibly fabricate some kind of bracket to physically secure the anchor in there.....if it will fit. Regardless of where I end up putting it, like you said, it can cause some damage, so I will secure it well.

Bernd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had taken my boat out two times to try and get used to steering and break in engines. Each time I had wet carpet in the rear starboard storage where I put a medium sized soft cooler. I figured the cooler was leaking. Last week I had four extra teenagers sitting in bow as I cruised at no wake speed along shore line of the reservoir we were at. The weight up front, small wakes , and no wake speed coupled couple with what I know know is a leaking anchor storage flooded the heck out of my boat. Everything I had in storage was soaked. The boat is now at the dealer to get fixed. I am bitter about the whole thing.
Got home from a 3 day vacation just to find both front sections completely flooded (standing water 1") WTF I had 7 boats including 4, 36 and up and never had a drop of water in the bilge or anywhere. After this I will check the anchor locker if its an easy fix OK otherwise the boats for sale. This is ridiculous.

Bernd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had my SX210 out again this weekend and and before going out I installed a 1/2" plug in In the drain fitting in the anchor locker. I had passnagers in bow and ran at slow speeds for hours throughout the day and everything stayed dry.
So that made me ask myself why not keep it plugged. I didn't find any water in locker, not that we were taking waves over the bow or anything, but in my brief experience, I am thinking I am leaving it plugged, for now anyway. I would almost have to sink for it to be any worse than the standard design. Stupidest thing I have ever seen!

It is important to note: If you are going to plug this from the inside the plug needs to be long enough to reach and seal in the flanged drain fitting or you will still get water infiltration to the hull interior.

Someone from Yamaha should revisit this one. This looks like a design flaw that has been known about for years and it still exists today! I have worked very closely with many Japanese companies for over 40 years and this is not the way they do business. I have found them to have pride in their products and reputation and cannot believe their senior management is aware this exists. I have seen engineers moved back to Japan overnight for far less. It would just be so much better to take a drain hose from the locker to the bilge. Again, this looks like a design flaw that has been known about for years and it still exists today!

Thanks again for all the information, this is truly a great resource! I hope Yamaha is tuned in.
This should be a recall on all affected models. If I cant find the leak this weakened it'll be the last Yamaha I ever buy.

cxr133

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This should be a recall on all affected models. If I cant find the leak this weakened it'll be the last Yamaha I ever buy.
LOl we are still waiting for recalls for Broken Scupper and blown out wash out plugs from 2005 :) :(

Bernd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, I was considering that as well. Truthfully I'm not commited to any one location yet. I may start with one location and not like it and try another. I just know that Mantus won't fit up front, but have seen enough about it to convince me to get it over the other one.
Guys you know how ridiculous this sounds? you paid premium dollars for a defective product. Yamaha should be dealing with this not us DIYers.