• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor locker leaks in models with current hull

G.P. On the water

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm curious, are / were you getting a lot of water running out of the plug when you'd pull it? My new 212X drains for a couple minutes like a garden hose when I pull the plug - very alarming! My last 2 Regals didn't have a drop from the plug. Looking at the anchor locker drain, mine looks OK, I suppose. I don't see a big gap between the drain and the shell. My locker fills with water though when at no wake speeds, which is very annoying and unnecessary.
The same here,never a drop from my moomba and my scarab jet boat , lots of water in the ski locker, all the time, every time I pull the boat out I could fill up a 5 gallon bucket easily, very annoying and disappointing. This weekend for the first time I used the ballast and when draining the alarm came in and it said I had a blockage. The Scarab was truly trouble free for 2 years , I am starting to think I made a mistake with Yamaha.

TS4811

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the great info. I have had my 2017 SX210 out three times now and each time out everything in the boats front storage cabinets gets soaked. I talked to the dealer, clueless. After the first outing I told them I had something leaking and they told me it was probably the rain. Made sure it was bone dry next outing and same thing. I was suspecting the anchor locker drain and that brought my search here. I cannot believe I have a brand new boat and need to start making repairs to cure bad design! I am not sure if I should call my dealer or my lawyer!

I like the idea of reaching out to user to advise them the issue exists, but I would think Yamaha would take the roll and bring this info through their dealers and do the repairs/modifications before the boats gets delivered.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I know there is a difference of opinion on plug or no plug but I found a plug at WalMart that fits the anchor locker drain. I measured the hole and it is 1/2".Anchor Locker Plug.JPG

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the great info. I have had my 2017 SX210 out three times now and each time out everything in the boats front storage cabinets gets soaked. I talked to the dealer, clueless. After the first outing I told them I had something leaking and they told me it was probably the rain. Made sure it was bone dry next outing and same thing. I was suspecting the anchor locker drain and that brought my search here. I cannot believe I have a brand new boat and need to start making repairs to cure bad design! I am not sure if I should call my dealer or my lawyer!

I like the idea of reaching out to user to advise them the issue exists, but I would think Yamaha would take the roll and bring this info through their dealers and do the repairs/modifications before the boats gets delivered.
Yes , it would be nice if they passed the information on to the consumer via the dealer or a simple notification!
I bypassed both and got results from Carlisle - tires and Shoreland'r - new trailer fender modification. Thanks Yamaha....for nutin. Now the locker drain and cracking at the rudder bolts just simply wonderful.

TS4811

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know there is a difference of opinion on plug or no plug but I found a plug at WalMart that fits the anchor locker drain. I measured the hole and it is 1/2".View attachment 58785
I had my SX210 out again this weekend and and before going out I installed a 1/2" plug in In the drain fitting in the anchor locker. I had passnagers in bow and ran at slow speeds for hours throughout the day and everything stayed dry.
So that made me ask myself why not keep it plugged. I didn't find any water in locker, not that we were taking waves over the bow or anything, but in my brief experience, I am thinking I am leaving it plugged, for now anyway. I would almost have to sink for it to be any worse than the standard design. Stupidest thing I have ever seen!

It is important to note: If you are going to plug this from the inside the plug needs to be long enough to reach and seal in the flanged drain fitting or you will still get water infiltration to the hull interior.

Someone from Yamaha should revisit this one. This looks like a design flaw that has been known about for years and it still exists today! I have worked very closely with many Japanese companies for over 40 years and this is not the way they do business. I have found them to have pride in their products and reputation and cannot believe their senior management is aware this exists. I have seen engineers moved back to Japan overnight for far less. It would just be so much better to take a drain hose from the locker to the bilge. Again, this looks like a design flaw that has been known about for years and it still exists today!

Thanks again for all the information, this is truly a great resource! I hope Yamaha is tuned in.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I sealed mine last year but did decide I'm going the extra step. I want mine to drain still but want to stop extra water being forced in so bought a clam shell vent hopefully will get it on this week but wanted to measure and make sure it was the right size. This should let water flow right past the hole when moving forward.

clam shell 2.jpg clam shell 3.jpg

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good idea @robert843. I wonder if scupper valves exist in that size?

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For those who haven’t repaired this leak, this is how I repaired mine. I used a short piece of 3/8 inch PEX pipe which fit perfectly in the stock fitting. I applied 3M 5200 to slide the pipe into the fitting to create a perminent seal. Then used more 5200 to seal the bottom and top of the fitting. Finally I cut off the excess PEX pipe. This reduced the size of the drain hole but I am perfectly fine with that. As for longevity, PEX is tough and should last as long as the boat. I forgot to take a photo with the pipe cut off but I hope you get the idea.

D299BF75-883C-4099-8D3D-362E45A8DD24.jpeg39C413E2-92D7-4FD6-B513-1B84088F8045.jpeg4F1D2A54-7321-4756-B60C-F21776619308.jpeg

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well I sealed mine last year but did decide I'm going the extra step. I want mine to drain still but want to stop extra water being forced in so bought a clam shell vent hopefully will get it on this week but wanted to measure and make sure it was the right size. This should let water flow right past the hole when moving forward.

View attachment 69106 View attachment 69107
I like that idea.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Anybody happen to know the thickness of the hull at the anchor locket fitting? I'm not able to go measure mine right now.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Has Yammy fixed this issue with the 2o18 24 foot boats?

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

View attachment 69106 View attachment 69107
I installed my clam shell last week.

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks to this forum and many members. Finally launched my 212 LS for the first time last weekend. After the anchor locker mod and the clean-out port cover mod, my boat was bone dry. As for my reverse maneuvering skills, that's a different story. I need more practice.

Mike Byrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do you have a link to the clean-out port cover mod?