• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor locker leaks in models with current hull

G.P. On the water

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As I anticipated, here is the finish product of my anchor locker. It looks and feels like it didn't have any open spaces between the inner and outer either.
I applied 3M 5200 all over covering the fitting, all from inside since I have the the boat in a slip. It does n0t look pretty but at least it will seal the exposed fiber. fullsizeoutput_24fe.jpegIMG_0265.JPG

Attachments

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Reefdonkey ... Wow! Hopefully someone else with a current hull 21 footer can check theirs to see if there's filled between the shells or not. If there is no gap, then you might want to get your dealer to look into it.

Reefdonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Reefdonkey ... Wow! Hopefully someone else with a current hull 21 footer can check theirs to see if there's filled between the shells or not. If there is no gap, then you might want to get your dealer to look into it.
They fixed it and didn't say anything other than it needed the hose and all of the salt water cleaned out of everything.

G.P. On the water

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@MrMoose mine is a 2017 and it was filled as you can see in the Picts above. Can't wait to take it around the lake and inspect how it behaves !

G.P. On the water

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wonder how much Yamaha saves with this crappy finish. I posted a comment and a picture in the Yamaha Facebook page, they answered that my comment was sent to engineering department. After about 7 hours of use here in TX my 3M repair is holding up good! For my 10 hour service I will ask the dealer to inspect/repair as needed.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wait a minute! They respond to Facebook comments and don't respond here?

Txjetter17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a new ar210 a few weeks ago. It's at the dealership right now for something else. I'm going to call today and ask them to look at the hole in the anchor locker.

micj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had taken my boat out two times to try and get used to steering and break in engines. Each time I had wet carpet in the rear starboard storage where I put a medium sized soft cooler. I figured the cooler was leaking. Last week I had four extra teenagers sitting in bow as I cruised at no wake speed along shore line of the reservoir we were at. The weight up front, small wakes , and no wake speed coupled couple with what I know know is a leaking anchor storage flooded the heck out of my boat. Everything I had in storage was soaked. The boat is now at the dealer to get fixed. I am bitter about the whole thing.

Txjetter17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I called my dealership and asked them about it. He said he thought he heard a tech talking about that issue with another boat. Sounds like they know about it but don't want to admit it's an issue.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I called my dealership and asked them about it. He said he thought he heard a tech talking about that issue with another boat. Sounds like they know about it but don't want to admit it's an issue.
Just like the timing belts? "No issue here folks, never heard of this problem before"

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had taken my boat out two times to try and get used to steering and break in engines. Each time I had wet carpet in the rear starboard storage where I put a medium sized soft cooler. I figured the cooler was leaking. Last week I had four extra teenagers sitting in bow as I cruised at no wake speed along shore line of the reservoir we were at. The weight up front, small wakes , and no wake speed coupled couple with what I know know is a leaking anchor storage flooded the heck out of my boat. Everything I had in storage was soaked. The boat is now at the dealer to get fixed. I am bitter about the whole thing.
I'm not familiar with the 21 foot boat, but based on my experience with my 24 footer, the only way that I get water in my cockpit bench storage is when I hose-down the cockpit, or when the cup holders drain into those sections. @micj, I doubt that the locker drain is the cause of your problem. Is your engine bay dry? How much water drains out of the boat when you pull the drain plug while on the trailer? What conditions do you store your boat in? Outdoors?

micj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The engine bay is dry and a little water has come out bilge the previous two times. This last time I had about 10 plus seconds of water come out the bilge yet this was my shortest outing yet and the first time having four people in the bow cruising a long period of time in no wake mode.The kids were in and out of the water a lot so that may account for some water drainage. Everything from the bow storage , passenger\captains storage, to the rear storage was soaked. I store outdoor in Southern California and my boat has not had rain fall on it. I can definitely see the gap in the anchor storage drain. The ski locker was dry with plug in place.

I have to wait till I see what the dealer says. They literally had 25 boats waiting for annual service or something of the sort so It may be a few days.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmm @micj, I just think that for water to get into the cockpit storage bench cavities, it would have to come from up above, rather than from the anchor locker... but who knows how the water flows in your boat. Best thing to do is as you are doing, get the dealership to fix the obvious, and go from there. Since your engine compartment is dry, that takes a couple things off the list.
My advice... once the dealer has "fixed" the problem(s), make sure that your boat is completely dry before taking it out for the next phase of your "where's the water coming from" investigation.
Good luck brother.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@micj
I am relatively certain the anchor locker drain is your problem. @Brian eilrich has the same boat and identical issue.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@micj
I am relatively certain the anchor locker drain is your problem. @Brian eilrich has the same boat and identical issue.
I agree.
@MrMoose - in a 240 water can definitely drain/flow from the anchor locker along the hull (if entering through broken/unsealed anchor locker drain into the space between the inner shell and the hull) - thru the bow storage compartments and all the way around - back into the cockpit storage and stern, soaking everything wet along the way. I have not had that happen in my boat, and I've already fixed the anchor locker drain (thank you very much!) but I had a chance to explore it all in detail while running wire and ballast hose etc.

--

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@micj
Just to reiterate, although I don't know the 21 footer, an anchor locker leak on my 24 footer would find its way into the bilge before making its way to the carpet in the bench storage seats located in the cockpit. I think the water source for wet carpet has to come from the deck or above. I have cup holders that drain onto the carpet in my bench storage.
With your engines running, check that your engine flush nozzle is not leaking.

micj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I received a call from my dealer yesterday after noon and the leak was indeed from the anchor locker drain. They told me it was beyond just a basic re-seal and had to fill in the gap between the outer and inner shell. Needless to say I am not pleased as I also had the starboard side door frame replaced because it was cracked where one of the mounting screws are located. I cant blame dealer but rather Yamaha. I would have thought the quality control would be a little better for the price Yamaha charges for their boats. anchorlocker.JPG

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm curious, are / were you getting a lot of water running out of the plug when you'd pull it? My new 212X drains for a couple minutes like a garden hose when I pull the plug - very alarming! My last 2 Regals didn't have a drop from the plug. Looking at the anchor locker drain, mine looks OK, I suppose. I don't see a big gap between the drain and the shell. My locker fills with water though when at no wake speeds, which is very annoying and unnecessary.