• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor locker leaks in models with current hull

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before sealing the inner surface, it would be helpful if folks could pop the existing drain out and report what they see.
1. A void between outer and inner shells.
2. Solid fill between outer and inner shells.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm about to take my boat to the dealer for them to take my tower down. I think that's a warranty job they need to take care off before I get my boat back ;)

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2017 SX210 is still at the dealer....Im going to have them check it out before I pick it up in the spring, id want that fixed before getting on the water

OUT ON THE REEF

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Anytime
And i hope your dont have the same issue.
Take care

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is so crazy! I actually had the same issue and a DIY fix this summer on my 2016 AR240. I noticed some leaking and water in the hull after taking on some 3 footers on Lake Michigan one trip. I looked down and noticed that water can get in. I took the drain fitting from the outside of the hill and inserted through the locker with a snipped off piece of the braided drain hose that is used throughout the boat. I sealed it all with silicone on the locker side and exterior. Now just a 1/4" of tubing protrudes out the hull up front. Super easy and quick fix and didn't need additional parts. Glad to see that I was correct in diagnosing this little leak like many of you. I'd post a pic but boats put away

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is so crazy! I actually had the same issue and a DIY fix this summer on my 2016 AR240. I noticed some leaking and water in the hull after taking on some 3 footers on Lake Michigan one trip. I looked down and noticed that water can get in. I took the drain fitting from the outside of the hill and inserted through the locker with a snipped off piece of the braided drain hose that is used throughout the boat. I sealed it all with silicone on the locker side and exterior. Now just a 1/4" of tubing protrudes out the hull up front. Super easy and quick fix and didn't need additional parts. Glad to see that I was correct in diagnosing this little leak like many of you. I'd post a pic but boats put away
@MicahH, was there a void in between the inner and outer shell, or was it solid like mine (see pics at start of thread)

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It just gets better with Yamaha, maybe they should start introducing a new style of boat, self build :rolleyes::D.
I've really tried to be positive with my boat and I think I've been one of the lucky ones but quality of this kind is not acceptable. I'll put this job down as "another!" Self fix and move on.
Just for reference, people need to check the clean out compartment tray too, as mine had no sealant and with one clean out port leaking water I had a perpetual leak filling my boat on every journey :(:mad:.
IMG_1559.JPG

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Britboater, while you're in the area, seal around the access hatch flange between the clean-out ports, and make sure that your clean-out tubes have clamps installed on the bottom and have sealant on the top. I saw a 190FSH in the showroom that was missing the clamp on the bottom of the clean-out tube, so I expect that others will have the same problem.

SeanPC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It just gets better with Yamaha, maybe they should start introducing a new style of boat, self build :rolleyes::D.
I've really tried to be positive with my boat and I think I've been one of the lucky ones but quality of this kind is not acceptable. I'll put this job down as "another!" Self fix and move on.
Just for reference, people need to check the clean out compartment tray too, as mine had no sealant and with one clean out port leaking water I had a perpetual leak filling my boat on every journey :(:mad:.
View attachment 50858
Was taking on a lot of water after each trip out. After sealing the cleanout tray and access hatch flange, I'm now getting about 8oz of water coming out after pulling the plug on the ramp (pretty steep ramp). Going to check the anchor locker this afternoon to see what it looks like.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks Fellas! I'll check this out next time I'm up North and report back.

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys were getting water coming into the boat from the back swim deck between the two jet clean out ports, is that correct? Hey MrMoose, yes there was a small void between the locker and fitting...not a sealed design.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys were getting water coming into the boat from the back swim deck between the two jet clean out ports, is that correct? Hey MrMoose, yes there was a small void between the locker and fitting...not a sealed design.
@MicahH, I'm not referring to a void between the fitting and the shell(s); I'm referring to a void between the shells, made visible when the drain fitting is removed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but @OUT ON THE REEF, didn't you have a gap between the outer and inner shells that you had to seal up when you fixed your leak?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MicahH, yes I had water coming in from two spots on the back clean-out apron. One spot was the interface between the apron and the hull. The other was the access hatch flange interface with the apron (in between the clean-out ports)

SeanPC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For me, yep!

I was getting a lot of water in the bilge after each trip out. I timed it once by pulling the plug on a relatively steep ramp and it drained for 61 seconds at full capacity. I looked into the bilge access port (between clean-out ports) and check all hose clamps (including cleanout tube clamps) and they were tight. One of the obvious places water could enter the bilge was from the cleanout port area. There are unsealed gaps (at least on my boat) between the fiberglass decking and top of the plastic cleanout port lid and another between the bilge access and clean-out port lid (see Britboater's pic above). I sealed those and the next several times I went out there was a lot less water. Drained for maybe 15 second after being out for several hours. Next, I sealed around the scupper value from outside the hull. Went out for 5 hours did some cruising, fishing and grilling. Pulled the plug on the same ramp and got 8 - 12oz of water out of the drain plug. So still have a small leak somewhere but seems I was getting a lot of water through those two areas. Think most of the water was coming from a leaky clean-out plug.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another thing to check... Fill the swim platform cup holders with water and double-check that the water drains out of the fixtures located below the cup holders, and not into the bilge.

Roadapple

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just took delivery of my 2017 FSH Sport. The anchor drain was easily removed, as there was little caulk applied to the opening. I replaced it with a 1/2" thru hull fitting & nut, and sealed with 3M caulk. Also found a large gap below the fish locker drain, which I also sealed. I'm waiting for 24 hours before launching and beginning break-in process.

I did not see a gap between the outer & inner hull at the anchor drain hole, but the fitting had little or no sealant around the fitting. The fitting was too short to extend thru the hull to the inner hull surface.

Attachments

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Seriously Yamaha, we know you are reading. Are you fixing this stuff?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Admin needs to rename @MrMoose to MrLeakFix. All the things I need to now go check on my boat...

@buckbuck , I agree, of course. When I bought mine the prices were a little cheaper and it was the most boat for the least money by a good bit. When I had to tighten a screw after delivery, I would remember that. When I read about these issues (and more severe things like the oil cooler and timing chain issues), I tend to forget that. Still a lot of money to be having these types of things happen.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought that it would be helpful to toss this out in it's own thread. The subject has been addressed in other model-specific threads, but I feel that it's big enough that anybody with a current hull design (not previous gens) has this problem.
My anchor locker drain is allowing water to leak in between my inner and outer hull.
I initially thought that the problem was that the "drain assembly" was missing a part, the inner flange. The drain assembly part number is F2D-U2290-00-00. My local dealer ordered me one and I went to pick it up today. I expected it to be two pieces (outer flange and inner flange). It was just one piece, the outer flange, which is exactly what my '15 AR240 came with. While at the dealership, I checked a new AR210, 190FSH, and 242XE, all brand new, just received. Their anchor locker drains were all like mine.
The fitting does not seal to the inner hull in the anchor locker. It's a little on the short side. It's a minor leak, and it's an easy fix.
I'm going to seal mine up with 3M 5200, on the inner and outer surfaces.
Here's a pic of what my anchor locker drain looks like:
View attachment 50556

Here's a pic from the brand new 242EX that I looked at today:
View attachment 50557
@MrMoose my hat goes off to you.
Finally remembered to check on this - and (f@ck me!!!) - look what I found:
upload_2017-2-20_23-14-16.png

Needless to say, I am pi$$ed off.

Thank you for making us look!

--

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Admin needs to rename @MrMoose to MrLeakFix. All the things I need to now go check on my boat...

@buckbuck , I agree, of course. When I bought mine the prices were a little cheaper and it was the most boat for the least money by a good bit. When I had to tighten a screw after delivery, I would remember that. When I read about these issues (and more severe things like the oil cooler and timing chain issues), I tend to forget that. Still a lot of money to be having these types of things happen.
No quality control, I remember when I bought my 2015 Waverrunner, when I got home and inspected inside the engine compartment it had 2 motor mounts completely loose. Looks like Yamaha lacks good quality control across the board not only jetboats and I hate to say that because I love Yamaha.