• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another Magma Grill post

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have never even heard of a grill mat. I looked at the ad, googled them, watched the "as seen on tv" video, and read the documentation. Ok, now I want to know how this works. Seems a little like one of those "too good to be true" products. Grease can't get through it, but flame can, still get grill marks, even cooking, etc. I see a number of them for sale under various names and wonder if this is one product marketed by a number of sources? I kind of think I might want to try this too. My only concern is the size of the magma is not very large. Can you cut this mat to fit? What happens to grease that forms on the mat, does it form a lake, then river, and drain off one edge? I am waiting for the report back on this one!

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
What happens to grease that forms on the mat, does it form a lake, then river, and drain off one edge? I am waiting for the report back on this one!
I used one a year or two ago when visiting at my dad's place. Can't comment on brand/quality of grill mat it was, but I was not a fan in my one time use. All the grease from cooking the burgers just pooled on the mat. I was using a smaller Weber grill so when I went to cook the second round I had to place the patties in all that grease. Can't remember if some grease did run off or not. My dad was a fan because he usually just grills for himself, minimizes the mess on the grill, and he would just wash the mat off in the sink.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@txav8r ... The amazon web site says you can cut them to fit your specific needs/size... I was wondering if you can also add a few drip holes to help with the grease but still provide the flame up protection...
Honestly they aren't that expensive to give it a try couldn't hurt to bad considering the $3oo investment in the magma set up...

But, hell...I don't even own a grill yet so don't let my rambling influence you LOL

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
ok, So I'm resurrecting my old thread and hopefully this will help someone save some cash.

Black Friday/Weekend deal on Magma Cabo Grills.. $130 vs normally $220 with free shipping as well. Sale ends 11/27

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma--cabo-gas-grill--10977742

Mount on Ebay is much cheaper as well:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magma-T10-375-PowrGrip-LeveLock-Rod-Holder-Single-Mount-Heavy-Duty-Boat-Grill-/391707744221

Sorry for the late post. I've got mine ordered and the mount (pain in the ass to figure out) coming as we'll for the 2018 boating season.

Hope this helps anyone out

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok, So I'm resurrecting my old thread and hopefully this will help someone save some cash.

Black Friday/Weekend deal on Magma Cabo Grills.. $130 vs normally $220 with free shipping as well. Sale ends 11/27

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma--cabo-gas-grill--10977742

Mount on Ebay is much cheaper as well:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magma-T10-375-PowrGrip-LeveLock-Rod-Holder-Single-Mount-Heavy-Duty-Boat-Grill-/391707744221

Sorry for the late post. I've got mine ordered and the mount (pain in the ass to figure out) coming as we'll for the 2018 boating season.

Hope this helps anyone out
Got them both! Finally pulled the trigger - it only took about 3 years... LOL
Thanks a bunch for the links, much appreciated.

--

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have the cabo, added a temp gauge, have the storage bag, the griddle, fish grill, and more. I don't use it anymore and it had been used no more than 5 times. Anyone interested? Only thing, it's in the motorhome and it is not at home and in a shop out of town. Not sure when u could get it back.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's the plan!!!

--
Are you planning on using this in the table leg? That's where I use mine and I feel like it takes up too much swim deck real estate. With people using the ladder I'm scared someone's going to get burned or cut on one of the corners. I'd like to get it out over the side of the boat somehow

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you planning on using this in the table leg? That's where I use mine and I feel like it takes up too much swim deck real estate. With people using the ladder I'm scared someone's going to get burned or cut on one of the corners. I'd like to get it out over the side of the boat somehow
Good point @ThatJeepGuy, although my (since installation) 11 and 14 year olds haven't had a problem with the location while climbing up the ladder over the past 3 years, I've given them the "watch-out" a few times... just cuz I'm careful like that.
If there was a better spot, I'd go with it. The only thing that someone might consider is to make a custom stansion that is closer to the starboard side of the boat and leaves a little more room for the less aware to safely climb in.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's part of the plan - start there in the back, probably throw a large towel over the part of swim deck to protect SeaDek from any drips, and see how it goes.

My kids are nuts (as you know - because you met them...) but I tend to have them jump off the front - I have SeaDek all over the top of bow cap for traction, and then they can use the bow ladder to climb back. It's a little higher than the stern, so they don't complain.

I just have to see how this grilling thing works for us, before I start moving things around. It should be possible to install the table leg mount on the outside, too, or install a fishing rod holder inside the hull cap - somewhere. Keep us posted if you find a perfect spot!

I know @Bruce likes to do it in the bow... :cool:

--

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MrMoose is that an extra canopy on your boat? If so where did you get it.
Thanks.
Hi Paulie44, my bimini extension is something that I custom made using 2 bomb wake flag holders, some spring clamps, a couple of aluminum rods and my favorite Yamaha flags.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Where you guys storing your grills? Any clever storage ideas?
I have the Magma grill bag but it's to big and takes up to much room in my head storage area.

Paulie44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Benny,

I bought mine out of season and haven’t used it yet on boat. I plan to store it in one of the stern compartments.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Where you guys storing your grills? Any clever storage ideas?
I have the Magma grill bag but it's to big and takes up to much room in my head storage area.
I have the MAGMA Newport 2 Infrared grill with the MAGMA bag. I mount the grill on the swim platform (extra table let for the purpose). I store the grill and table leg under the port bow seat, fits perfectly. If your grill is larger, I don't think it will fit...

MAGMA Newport 2 Infrared Gourmet Series Gas Grill | West Marine