• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another oil cooler bolt sheared

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Livi0411 that was me chiming in on capnkev's thread. I don't know if he is a member here but I haven't seen a post from him in a long time. I thought he did eventually go with an after market bolt made of a better grade material but I could be wrong. I will try and review the thread again to be sure. One thing I do remember is that some will replace the third bolt with a stock one but won't torque it down as tight. I think the torque specs are in the shop manual.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Livi0411 that was me chiming in on capnkev's thread. I don't know if he is a member here but I haven't seen a post from him in a long time. I thought he did eventually go with an after market bolt made of a better grade material but I could be wrong. I will try and review the thread again to be sure. One thing I do remember is that some will replace the third bolt with a stock one but won't torque it down as tight. I think the torque specs are in the shop manual.
@Livi0411 I have a shop manual for your boat if you need to borrow it.

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just got done extracting the broken bolt and replacing it. Had to take the oil cooler off. Hardest part: disconnecting and reconnecting the hoses! Everything else was pretty easy. Hard to believe the shop wanted close to $800 to fix this little piece of metal.

Things I learned:

1. Remove the oil cooler by taking out the three larger bolts. Don't worry about the small bolts yet.
2. Disconnecting the hoses is a challenge due to accessibility. There are three hoses, one of which is hard to see. The hose clamps are tough if you don't have the proper tool (as I didn't).
3. After you remove the oil cooler it's easier to separate the pieces. There are four small bolts on the back of the cooler that are very hard if not impossible to get to unless you remove the cooler.
4. The Drill-Out Micro Power Extractor is a great tool! It made removing the sheared off bolt super easy.
5. Putting the oil cooler back on was easy except reconnecting the hoses because of the hose clamps.

IMG_1205.JPG

Last edited:

Livi0411

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jfkraus - was this the third bolt down (#9)? Do you remember the part no.? I ordered a few bolts after talking to several Yamaha Parts Dept and they all seem to be unsure as I've received 3 different bolts. Going to get my boat out of storage here shortly just hoping I have the right bolt. I have bolts ranging from 1" to 4" long with the threads having diff diameters.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Every time I read about another 2010 240 with a broken bolt or oil cooler problem I can't help but think that Yamaha really screwed those customers by not issuing a recall or at the very least extending the warranties on the coolers.

By th way or as a reminder. On the new coolers the third bolt down has a different head and I'm told that it has a thicker diameter and/or a different thread pitch than the bolt it replaced.

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jfkraus - was this the third bolt down (#9)? Do you remember the part no.? I ordered a few bolts after talking to several Yamaha Parts Dept and they all seem to be unsure as I've received 3 different bolts. Going to get my boat out of storage here shortly just hoping I have the right bolt. I have bolts ranging from 1" to 4" long with the threads having diff diameters.
Yes it was the third bolt down. #7 in the picture here: http://www.portlandsportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003a1a5f870021f60a120fc/oil-cooler

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I understand the new bolt is stronger but is it the same size? I don't have a problem and I hate to "fix" something that is working but if I just change this bolt out now it shouldn't hurt anything either. Just thinking ahead.

Livi0411

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dropped my boat off yesterday at Lodders Marine in Cincinnati, OH at 10am w/ the #9 bolt sheered off in my oil cooler (2010 Sx240) and picked it up this afternoon. $330 bill - labor, quart of oil, and oil filter.

Fix - they removed the oil cooler and put into a hot water bath so the aluminum oil cooler would expand (metal bolt so it's unaffected) and they took a screwdriver and were able to get it out easily. Replaced bolt with loctite and torqued to spec. They guarantee it will not have any future issues or its on them. They ran it in the shop for 10mins w no leaking. I plan to put it on the lake tomorrow.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dropped my boat off yesterday at Lodders Marine in Cincinnati, OH at 10am w/ the #9 bolt sheered off in my oil cooler (2010 Sx240) and picked it up this afternoon. $330 bill - labor, quart of oil, and oil filter.

Fix - they removed the oil cooler and put into a hot water bath so the aluminum oil cooler would expand (metal bolt so it's unaffected) and they took a screwdriver and were able to get it out easily. Replaced bolt with loctite and torqued to spec. They guarantee it will not have any future issues or its on them. They ran it in the shop for 10mins w no leaking. I plan to put it on the lake tomorrow.
Did they replace the bolt with the same one that was originally spec'd for the model year or did they go to another bolt that is stronger?Not a bad price for the repair....especially with them willing to stand behind it.

Livi0411

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They used the Yamaha bolt that was spec'd for it. I tired like hell to find a stronger bolt and read and read threads but didn't have any luck finding a stronger one. The replacement coolers I understand have a stronger bolt but the actual hole is larger on them as well.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They used the Yamaha bolt that was spec'd for it. I tired like hell to find a stronger bolt and read and read threads but didn't have any luck finding a stronger one. The replacement coolers I understand have a stronger bolt but the actual hole is larger on them as well.
Thanks for the response. I find it interesting that they are willing to stand behind it when in theory there is no reason to think it won't happen again. I think my dealer would have charged double what you paid and not stood behind it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$330 is not bad at all. Mine was covered but I still had to pay for oil and filters plus my deductible the total for two engines was $250.

I remember thinking I only had one cooler leaking and wondering / hoping the other one would start while it was still under warranty. After I got the news the second cooler was warped and leaking I was happy to hear it. I'm sure I would have felt differently of this wasn't covered.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the boat I just bought , the bolt was missing on one motor , but it wasn't leaking on the test drive , so tonight , I removed the oil cooler and got the remainder bolt out replaced with new bolt and reinstalled , and I swapped out the bolt on the other oil cooler as preventive maintenance , I will tell you when I pulled the third bolt out on the good cooler it was crazy loose !!!! So loose I thought it was broke or stripped out !!! But it wasn't , installed the new one and tightens it up real nice !!! It really is a easy fix if you have good mechanical skills :)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you torque the bolts to spec or just wing it?

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went to spec and on the bolt that I pulled out you can actually see the bolt stretch !!!! My mechanical back ground is a hobbiest hot rod'r / drag racer built a couple cars , so when it comes to things like this it is fun for me :)

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Both my coolers were fixed. The dealer asked me not to pay yet since they are trying to get Yamaha to pay for the whole thing. They simple swapped out the bolts as well (had to remove the cooler. The cost was about $350 including all oil (full drain and filters). Should know before long of it was covered or not.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you "replaced" the bolts, what new bolt did you use? Is it a newer OEM bolt or something you bought at a specialty fastener shop? Neither of mine are leaking or showing any visible issues. Can you simply swap the bolts without removing the oil cooler?