• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another quality control thread

wishnyouwerehere

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
So I ended up with a 2021 212xe. I was on a list for a '22 and this one showed up unexpected at the dealer. Picked it up late last week. The marine mat inside was all crooked, so I moved the snaps and fixed that. A few minor imperfections in the gel coat, nothing to major. A rear transom speaker wasn't working, so I removed it to investigate. It wasn't plugged in, and I was very surprised when I attempted to plug it in! I can't believe it made it out like this!! Tough to plug 2 females together. Speakers must have been installed on a Friday...20210809_200054.jpg

See, this is where we need a :facepalm: reaction...

wow. that is so frustrating.

Frustrating but an easy fix.

Gender equality at it's best.

Sorry, I had to throw that in there.

One would think there would be an overall inspection of the vessel both at the manufacturer and at the dealer?

Jim

Oh, wait. Was that not supposed to be funny? <sigh>

One would think there would be an overall inspection of the vessel both at the manufacturer and at the dealer?

Jim
you really giving them some responsibility now lol

i guess not enough to have the "tech" check each speaker for function
That's crazy. I wonder... for those that have purchased new and got the dealer prep, I wonder what their checklist / success criteria are to call it done? I bought used from out of state and the dealer replaced the hubs and redid all the brakes so I could tow it home. I wonder if its more the big ticket things...

I wonder how Yamaha does their process? Presumably the speakers are pre-pigtailed / soldered to the installer drills and screws it in. He just moves to the next and probably is incentivized to keep the line moving.

Anyone have any Yamaha build process video links?

How much did you pay for dealer prep?
This is a very valid point. I would be throwing that "dealer prep" line item back at them pretty quick if these things passed their prep area. Not much to argue about there.

The QC on these boats is really not great. I have the dreaded loose starboard stern cleat to tighten this weekend. I've had to tighten down various nuts/bolts/screws since i took ownership last year. Plus the weird things I live with like port engine throttle doesn't want to stay in place when underway. I know there's a fix for this but it looks like a pain.

None of this would matter if i hadn't already owned 2 bayliners that were better built than this one.

shouldn't someone from Yamaha Boats be on this forum and reading up on all the owner complaints?! Jeep does. It helps.

Its gotten worse by the year... their quality check is non-existent.

The QC on these boats is really not great. I have the dreaded loose starboard stern cleat to tighten this weekend. I've had to tighten down various nuts/bolts/screws since i took ownership last year. Plus the weird things I live with like port engine throttle doesn't want to stay in place when underway. I know there's a fix for this but it looks like a pain.

None of this would matter if i hadn't already owned 2 bayliners that were better built than this one.

Unless this was loose from the factory, this is not a QC issue. I think we have all had a cleat come loose at one point or another. That's pretty normal vibration.

And as far as the throttle drop, that one is a QC issue with the throttle MFG. And a known issue for many years that nobody knows why it was not addressed. Those of us that did the throttle drop fix love it, but wonder why the OEM didn't change their MFG process.

shouldn't someone from Yamaha Boats be on this forum and reading up on all the owner complaints?! Jeep does. It helps.

Its gotten worse by the year... their quality check is non-existent.

And yet again, nobody has the real numbers of issues in comparison to the amount of boats built. Until that number is shared, it will never be a QC issue, let alone a Technical Service Bulletin, or even get close to a recall. And until then, it is just a handful of folks crying on the internet. Rightfully so, of course, as they have a big investment. But we really do not know how widespread it truly is without data. One person with a ding in their gelcote can make it sound like every boat coming out the door is a POS, when in actuality, some trucker may have bumped a loading dock pilon. But everyone may feel the sky is falling.

Without numbers, you will never get the attention of the MFG. It's between you and your dealer to make it right, and no amount of internet crying will make that happen any quicker. Point #1 of Warranty and YES contracts, the relationship you have with your dealer is GOLD, if you don't have one, you will be SOL.

they don't hear about it because its a freaking hassle to take the boat to the dealer for something minor. its a hassle to set up an appointment and possibly have downtime. For most people, the dealer is hour+ away.

they need to be on platforms like this to get people's feedback VOLUNTARILY.

Unless this was loose from the factory, this is not a QC issue. I think we have all had a cleat come loose at one point or another. That's pretty normal vibration.

Can't say i agree with this. To me a boat cleat shouldn't come loose, ever. Engineers have studied vibrational loosening of bolts and nuts for decades in aircraft & other applications and there is a plethora of solutions out there. It would not be hard at all to fix this problem in the factory

Can't say i agree with this. To me a boat cleat shouldn't come loose, ever. Engineers have studied vibrational loosening of bolts and nuts for decades in aircraft & other applications and there is a plethora of solutions out there. It would not be hard at all to fix this problem in the factory

loctite(or equivalent), locking nuts, proper torque value...

Back