• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another soundproofing thread... the RAAMat experience

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski - Are you keeping track of how much weight all of this is adding?
Indeed! This was one of the lessons from the past 190 soundproofing project. I was not really paying much attention to weight/effect ratios, LOL. That said, I was going all out, the 190s are crazy loud and the level of (NVH) noise, vibration and harshness was laughable (high). So, I had no regrets, but there are definitely pros and cons to various approaches.

So far - in this thread, I am estimating to have used under 25lbs of various sound absorbing materials (RAAMat Package #1 is 22lbs I think). I may be adding another 10lbs or so max, mostly Ensolite which is feather light.

--

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@swatski if possible, please provide more close up pictures of the seal as it is attached to the fiberglass.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski if possible, please provide more close up pictures of the seal as it is attached to the fiberglass.
Will do. Tomorrow, if it does not rain.
I did all that at night so I kind of curious to see it in daylight myself! :nailbiting:

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
now have you tested yet to see if there is any difference just curious how it turns out.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
now have you tested yet to see if there is any difference just curious how it turns out.
Not yet! Very curious myself, hoping to take her out for a ride tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

I don't expect miracles but hope to see improvement. If that is the case, I will be ordering A LOT of Ensolite as that stuff it is just wonderful to work with.
(relatively speaking that is :D)

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went out today, and am very happy. Big difference from stock! Of course this is all "seat-of-the-pants" type of testing, I'm not even going to bother with decibel meters, it is very palpable to my ear, enough I would recommend it strongly as the best approach I know of. RAAMat rules!

Basically, the results are better than I expected. This boat/drive will never be whisper quiet at WOT, but cruising at 6-7k rpm is now going to be quite pleasant. My plan now is to purchase another Package #1 and a lot of extra Ensolite. That Ensolite stuff is gold: light, easy to install, and great finish if needs to be left exposed.

I feel that I need to focus primarily on the forward compartments next, my work in the stern will just need to address wet storage compartment walls. :)

EDIT: Yes, I'm forgetting the bilge access area, that will need to get some serious attention, too!
But, I am NOT removing water boxes to insulate around them, that is too much work.
--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That seal is not easy to photograph. But here is an attempt. Let me know if there is anything in particular you want to look at.
upload_2016-11-19_22-56-37.pngupload_2016-11-19_22-56-59.png
upload_2016-11-19_22-57-16.pngupload_2016-11-19_22-57-28.png

Some parts show impact impressions after 48hrs w/hatch closed, evidence of good seal.
upload_2016-11-19_23-3-26.png

The most tricky part is getting the thickness of the seal right, and that is what I like here. If you look at the pics below, the first one is looking at the gap in the top/rear of the hatch w/ the hatch 1/4 closed, 1/8 closed and the last one is completely closed/locked. As you can see there is no seal popping up in the gap -- good!
upload_2016-11-19_23-4-54.pngupload_2016-11-19_23-5-4.pngupload_2016-11-19_23-5-11.png

I also beefed up the foam edge w/extra seal (this is just a regular peel and stick foam /weather stripping)
upload_2016-11-19_23-8-40.pngupload_2016-11-19_23-8-50.pngupload_2016-11-19_23-9-5.pngupload_2016-11-19_23-9-16.png

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @swatski i spent about 25-30 hours I guess on 2015 ar240 so if you got it quite down some I bet it's a great improvement as I'm sure stock it was miles quieter then your old boat already. Trying to decide whether to tackle this on my 240 if I keep it next year it will probably be a project I do.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @swatski i spent about 25-30 hours I guess on 2015 ar240 so if you got it quite down some I bet it's a great improvement as I'm sure stock it was miles quieter then your old boat already. Trying to decide whether to tackle this on my 240 if I keep it next year it will probably be a project I do.
Very true.
For comparison, I installed approximately 250 lbs of soundproofing material into the 190. The results were not even close to (as good as) what I have now with the 240 w/ 25 lbs of soundproofing (on top of OEM quiet cruise). FWIW.

--

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did you glue the entire hatch seal to the fiberglass or is half of it floating?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski - Glad you are getting good results. I bet that hatch seal helped a lot if the stock one was not fully sealing. I will have to use a grease pencil to test that next year and that could vary boat to boat. I bet the clean out plug hatch, bilge access panel, and inside bilge could use some of your soundproofing tlc. Those water boxes are bound to make some noise.

We may need you to work with the forum admins to get a group buy discount for this stuff ;)

Keep up the great work.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bet that hatch seal helped a lot if the stock one was not fully sealing.
Well, yes since there is no OEM seal around the engine hatch, just foam padding. :confused:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Perhaps my memory is failing me. I thought there was a seal on the hatch itself.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perhaps my memory is failing me. I thought there was a seal on the hatch itself.
Hey, they don't call them Limited S for nothing, right? LOL.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you glue the entire hatch seal to the fiberglass or is half of it floating?
Installed as in the picture below. And I did do some detective work, LOL -- it came from Walmart at $8, 9ft each. Need two of those to go around.
upload_2016-11-20_11-44-19.png

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't think that would be any different on the LS. Perhaps I am thinking of my old seadoo. Can't wait to unwrap in the spring and check out a few things. Will be like Christmas all over again.

Edit- Checked the parts list for the hatch. All of the soundproofing foam is listed but my phantom seal is not. I belive that would have to be the number one thing to do to reduce direct noise.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What I might/would like to do next is to install Ensolite over the entire accessible hull surface, inside and up the gunnels.
Not sure I'm ready for that, but I think that would be worthwhile.
Weight is not an issue with Ensolite.

--

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks, I will be replacing my hatch seal in the spring.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good info @swatski especially the engine hatch seal find, I was amazed the factory does not fit one but then again, just look at the spray glue they use :rolleyes:.
Careful you don't get addicted, that's some figure you mentioned regarding the weight of material that went into your 190!