• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another stuck cleanout plug topic - pressure?

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hey folks; appreciate the intelligence. I've read all the posts about this topic but wanted/needed to add my issue for context. We have a 2008 212X - since we've had the boat I've religiously removed the plugs when they're not in use, keep in the locked position, and apply silicone spray every week during the season. Thanks to this group I think I've been taking the proper precautions.

Last night after use I went to pull the plugs in our wet slip, as normal. I use Cobra Locks - Starboard plug comes right out as it should. Port unlocks, but won't budge up the tube. I can re-engage and lock the plug. The mechanism seems to be functioning correctly. But when unlocked the plug won't budge. There is some water on top of the plug, which isn't unusual - but I'm wondering if the action of the impeller combined with the water on top as created a suction/pressure issue. I've read advice on how to remove the plug (the jack, chain & 2x4s, the ice, the hammer and pipe tapping, etc.

Just curious on the board's feedback. We left the boat in the slip with the one plug removed and the other still in the tube in the unlocked/disengaged position - hoping that if there was a pressure issue it might dissipate over 24 hours. I plan to head back to the lake later tonight to see what I can do. Thanks guys/gals.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My thought i that you may have sand in there binding it up. Did it go in nice & loose when you installed it last?

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
My thought i that you may have sand in there binding it up. Did it go in nice & loose when you installed it last?
Yes, they've both installed easily in the past. They slide right in and they I have to apply some moderate pretty to engage/lock them in. I didn't notice anything different or unusual before we launched and I installed the plugs.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Every time I pull the plugs on my 2008, I push down HARD on the installation handle before I attempt to release the catch dogs. Before I added this step there were times that I would have issues getting the dogs to release and it would appear "stuck". Not sure of your procedure to release them?

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I would think a 2x4 & rope
Would pop it out then
How would I brace the 2x4 on the deck? Use another piece of scrap wood on top of the deck to protect it?

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Every time I pull the plugs on my 2008, I push down HARD on the installation handle before I attempt to release the catch dogs. Before I added this step there were times that I would have issues getting the dogs to release and it would appear "stuck". Not sure of your procedure to release them?
Interesting - I haven't done that - instead I've removed the Cobra Locks and then pressed the release button on the plug. Normally they both release and pull right out.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
See if the clean out tube’s bottom hose clamp has adjusted up. If so, it can manipulate the shape of the tube and not allow the plug to slide up.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Why do you lock the plug after removing it?
After getting it removed disassemble the plug. You will find it is filled with water. Clean everything and apply lubrication to the operating parts. I have been using Vaseline without any issue. I suspect that the dogs are not releasing due to internal issues. Try tapping on the top of the plug while pushing on the gray button.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always leave the plug in when the boat is in the water. Do they get stuck sometimes? Sure. Stuff happens. Dirt, lack of lube or lube being washed off, general neglect, chopped up plants between the o ring and the plug, etc. Removing the water on top of the plug, then squirting Lubegard Zer0 between the plug and the o ring from the top shrinks the o ring and slightly cleans it setting the plug free. I have a feeling that this is the technique the dealers use.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
always tap down and pull up if a plug is released but stuck in the tube use a piece of wood and a hammer go around the edges of the plug surface tapping down and then pull up it will come loose.

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
OK guys, here's the update.

Before heading to the lake I grabbed a couple of smaller 2x6 pieces of scrap wood, a sturdy rope, a hammer, a 4 ft pole, and a bag of ice from the local gas station.

Making a long story short - getting to the lake the plug is still stuck. Tapping along the edges with the pole and hammer was unsuccessful. There was still water on top of the plug in the channel, so I filled it up completely with ice and waited 20 minutes.

Came back - looped the rope around the handle. Placed one 2x6 on the deck of the swim platform so the long edge was nearly above the plug. Placed the other 2x6 on top of that bottom piece and aligned the short edge right above the plug. Pull the rope tight and ran it across the narrow side of the 2x6 and then over the top of it. Pulled it back towards me - after about 4 pulls it released!

Once I cleared the ice off and was able to get the plug out of the channel - the only thing I noticed was some dirt/scum that had built up on the underside of the seal. Cleaned that out real good - applied additional silicone and left it for our next use this weekend.

So the ice method worked in combination with creating a leverage system that gave me more oomph than I could do on my own with just grabbing and pulling.

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The big black rubber gasket on the cleanout plug is most likely swollen up and time to be replaced. Purchase the rebuild kit(s) clean the inside mechanism while its apart (watch the little spring when cleaning... it tends to do what springs do and springs away) and rebuild it - Super easy (I would rebuild both plugs to be safe)

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
The big black rubber gasket on the cleanout plug is most likely swollen up and time to be replaced. Purchase the rebuild kit(s) clean the inside mechanism while its apart (watch the little spring when cleaning... it tends to do what springs do and springs away) and rebuild it - Super easy (I would rebuild both plugs to be safe)
That's definitely my plan; these are the original plugs and I've had the boat for a couple of years. My guess is they weren't taken care of very well before we acquired it.

Commadore

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
2008 212X Plugs stuck. Could not get them out with the 2X4 method despite numerous tries. I assumed the former owner glued them in. One day full throttle in the middle of Lake Mead the port plug pops out instantly flooding the whole boat with a about 6" of water on the deck. Pretty scary when you are a mile from shore in all directions, and 400 ft deep.. Checked out the tube, and found a rope around the impeller. Came right out, and I instantly went from "why to they have these damned plugs?" to "Wow, that's a great idea having those plugs." Checked out the plug and there was no sign of any glue. Put it back in and everything was good until it pooped out again a little while later with no obstruction in the impeller. So now I'm glad my boat has these plugs, but they need to come out when you need them and stay in when you don't, so I ordered the rebuild kits and the EZ Locks. Still couldn't get the starboard one out.. Finally got it out by using a ratchet strap and 2X4s pounding it down and then pulling up, repeating that a couple times and it came out. I think pounding it down first really helped, as I never tried that in the previous attempts..

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
2008 212X Plugs stuck. Could not get them out with the 2X4 method despite numerous tries. I assumed the former owner glued them in. One day full throttle in the middle of Lake Mead the port plug pops out instantly flooding the whole boat with a about 6" of water on the deck. Pretty scary when you are a mile from shore in all directions, and 400 ft deep.. Checked out the tube, and found a rope around the impeller. Came right out, and I instantly went from "why to they have these damned plugs?" to "Wow, that's a great idea having those plugs." Checked out the plug and there was no sign of any glue. Put it back in and everything was good until it pooped out again a little while later with no obstruction in the impeller. So now I'm glad my boat has these plugs, but they need to come out when you need them and stay in when you don't, so I ordered the rebuild kits and the EZ Locks. Still couldn't get the starboard one out.. Finally got it out by using a ratchet strap and 2X4s pounding it down and then pulling up, repeating that a couple times and it came out. I think pounding it down first really helped, as I never tried that in the previous attempts..
Yes that and filling the hole with ice and letting it cool and retract before you try to get it out usually works. they did not call those BLOW OUT PLUGS FOR NO REASON!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trying to figure out how it flooded the whole boat with water. I think you should look into that because it should not happen if everything is installed properly and they do happen to blow out. The black tubes need to be secured with clamps to the cleanout tray and the casting that holds the plug.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Trying to figure out how it flooded the whole boat with water. I think you should look into that because it should not happen if everything is installed properly and they do happen to blow out. The black tubes need to be secured with clamps to the cleanout tray and the casting that holds the plug.
Usually the plug comes loose and that fills the engine compartment , then when it blows out it saves your engines from being filled with water there are 2 different failures and in this case I believe he had the plug come loose first and then it violently blew out shutting off the engines

Commadore

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
When the plug blew out, it broke the latch on the door covering the cleanout tray, and a huge spout of water shot out of the tube about 6 feet high and onto the deck, covering all the passengers like a fire hose for about 1 second. Also the instant loss of thrust rapidly decelerated the boat from 44 MPH to near zero sending a wave over stern . We were all soaked and the boat had probably 50 gallons of water in it in a second. It was really not a problem as the bilge pump, I just installed a few days earlier quickly pumped it out. There were no leaks, just a sudden and impressive flood of water over the stern. It was pretty scary, but quickly just funny as we realized it was not as catastrophic as it seamed at first. Good thing I just changed out the bilge pump, because the previous one was broken.