• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another Trolling motor/electronics question..

jjwelly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey All! Promise I've been reading up and not wanting to post a question that's been asked a million times, so please forgive me. I'm hoping to be a new owner of a 2022 210 FSH in a few months when they get released. We tried finding a 2021 but none seem to be found in the color choice we were wanting out of the two available, and used prices just doesn't make sense, so we put money down on the 2022. In the meantime, I've been trying to get up to speed. So to my question....It seems there's a lot of people that use/prefer Garmin chartplotters/electronics yet I don't see hardly anyone who's running a force TM. I know I've seen at least one user here who runs one, but not anywhere near the number of people running Minn Kota TM. And from what I can gather, many of the Minn Kota TM users do not run Hummingbird electronics. I feel like I'm missing something as it seems to me that there's alot of advantage to running the same TM/electronics together, the force even though is not marketed as a salt water TM, the warranty does cover salt use. I get that a white TM looks nice with a white boat, I fully agree. I just don't think it's enough for me to go with a Minn Kota over a Force, if I'm wanting to go with Garmin electronics. Currently I'm looking at either the GPSMAP 943xsv or maybe a Echomap ultra 106sv or 93sv. Please help me with the thought process. TIA everyone!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Minn Kota Terrova 24v 80# 60", and a Garmin 93sv, this years model. I thought that the Force would be cool, and great integration, but not for the price they wanted, hell for that price I could add a smaller hummingbird easily at the bow and still have the Garmin in the helm.

I could of went with Hummingbird, but in the end I felt that the Garmin was clearly better..... (Not trying to start a war here :) ). I lamented about it for quite some time and went back and forth. For my use case.

jjwelly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the Minn Kota Terrova 24v 80# 60", and a Garmin 93sv, this years model. I thought that the Force would be cool, and great integration, but not for the price they wanted, hell for that price I could add a smaller hummingbird easily at the bow and still have the Garmin in the helm.

I could of went with Hummingbird, but in the end I felt that the Garmin was clearly better..... (Not trying to start a war here :) ). I lamented about it for quite some time and went back and forth. For my use case.
Thanks. I understand there's quite a price difference between the two. I'm assuming you went with the Riptide version since they are the same price? I'd like to hear some others chime in here for their input. Price always plays a part for sure, and if that's the main reason I see so many garmin/minn kota combos here, then that's good to know. I'm just surprised that integration doesn't win out more times than price. Maybe integration is over rated, I don't know as I've never had a boat with integrated/quality electronics yet, which is why I decided to post this thread. I very much appreciate your reply, thank you!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

dels

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was going to go with the Humminbird and Minn Kota for the integration as you mentioned, but at the end of the day I pictured myself on the water and asked how many times I would actually trace a route on the charplotter that gets me from one point to another and couldn't even think of when I would actually do that for real. We mostly like to get on the flats or at the jetties and use the spot lock, then move after a few mins if there is nothing...

I ended up going with the 36v Riptide Ulterra as I got a 20% discount coupon at Academy Sports from being a volunteer baseball coach and they only had the non-link model available so that settled it. Since the link was no longer an option, I figured Humminbird was no longer necessary so I went with the best bang for the buck I could get on the MFD and got myself a factory reconditioned Simrad GO 12 (You could never tell it is not "brand new") and saved another bucket of money there.

I am very happy with both choices!

jjwelly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks I'm also wondering if I would really use/benefit from the integration. It's still a part of my consideration, but I'm trying to not fixate on that aspect. I'm pretty set on Garmin for my chartplotter, so unless something changes, I'll be going that route. As for the trolling motor, not sure between Garmin and Minn Kota. I love that I can run 24 or 36v with the Garmin, and I love that it (proven I'm not sure...) is more powerful per volt than Minn Kota. I don't really want 3-12v lead acid batteries for my trolling motor, so it's either 24v or lithiums which I'm really interested in, but they sure are pricey. I'd probably be happy with whichever one I go with, so it may end up coming down to which one I can get my hands on.

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I guess I'm a little late to the thread, as the one guy around here who actually has the Force, that's probably unfortunate. :)

If you are going to use a Force TM, you should definitely go all Garmin imo. The Integration works very well and if you want to use routes and things like that with the TM I don't see how you'd do it without a Garmin chartplotter.

The Force uses brushless motors, which nobody else was doing at the time it was released (Lowrance was developing one also though) which nobody disputes is more efficient. I went cheap from the get go and have two 12v Optima's, but eventually i'll upgrade to a single 36v LiFePo4 I am sure. No other motor lets you switch 24-36 like that, so that is pretty neat.

I think I'd feel like I short changed myself if my TM didn't connect to my chartplotter personally. I wanted the Garmin technology (LiveScope is unparalleled) and that meant I was going full Garmin.

I live in Minnesota, so NOT going Humminbird+Minnkota is almost sacrilege around here. But then again not buying a Lund is also. :)

jjwelly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I guess I'm a little late to the thread, as the one guy around here who actually has the Force, that's probably unfortunate. :)

If you are going to use a Force TM, you should definitely go all Garmin imo. The Integration works very well and if you want to use routes and things like that with the TM I don't see how you'd do it without a Garmin chartplotter.

The Force uses brushless motors, which nobody else was doing at the time it was released (Lowrance was developing one also though) which nobody disputes is more efficient. I went cheap from the get go and have two 12v Optima's, but eventually i'll upgrade to a single 36v LiFePo4 I am sure. No other motor lets you switch 24-36 like that, so that is pretty neat.

I think I'd feel like I short changed myself if my TM didn't connect to my chartplotter personally. I wanted the Garmin technology (LiveScope is unparalleled) and that meant I was going full Garmin.

I live in Minnesota, so NOT going Humminbird+Minnkota is almost sacrilege around here. But then again not buying a Lund is also. :)
Thanks for your reply. I recall reading on here that there was someone with a Force, you must be the one! That's kinda why I started this thread, I was so confused why I saw so much Garmin chartplotters yet no TMs, even though they've been out for a couple years now. I get that they are more expensive, but there's plenty of people here paying big bucks on multiple chartplotters, I don't think many of them would let the cost difference in TM alter their decision. Anyways, what I am and have been decided on, is Garmin for my chartplotter. For me that was decided first, then I went to research TMs. I'm leaning towards the Force, but still not 100%. I wish they made a quick detach, even though I know you can use Minn Kota, and I also wish they made a saltwater model in white. I also see you went with the 8610xsv. I really was wanting to go this route too, but after calling and chatting with Garmin, I kinda am leaning toward the 106sv. I'd like to know what made you go the route you chose. I very much appreciate your reply and thank you.

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The main reason I went with the 8610xsv was because it has the marine network, eventually I'd like to add a chartplotter to the bow and get the full casting deck going. secondary reason was full touch screen

If they made a saltwater model in white, with a few inches more length I'd have sprung for that for sure, would just match the boat very nicely... although my boat is black, so it's not out of place imo

jjwelly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The main reason I went with the 8610xsv was because it has the marine network, eventually I'd like to add a chartplotter to the bow and get the full casting deck going. secondary reason was full touch screen

If they made a saltwater model in white, with a few inches more length I'd have sprung for that for sure, would just match the boat very nicely... although my boat is black, so it's not out of place imo
Hello JASmith. I sent you a PM asking some specifics since it appears you are the only one here with a Garmin Force TM. Can you tell me which quick detach/mount you are using, if using one at all?

Dcauthen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Which length did you go with 50 or 57"? How do you like it and would you do anything differently...

jjwelly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Which length did you go with 50 or 57"? How do you like it and would you do anything differently...
I have the 57", and I wish they made a 60. 50" would be way too short. My 57" has chopped the water surface sometimes. I haven't had a lot of use of it yet to really thoroughly comment. The motor is great, and I have a Garmin chartplotter so just makes sense to me. At this time, I wouldn't have done anything differently. I LOVE the remote foot petal, I come from bass fishing in fresh water, and I just like to use a foot petal. Anchor lock is life changing, but they all seem to have this feature now.

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I went with 57", I'd definitely NOT go with the 50" on a 210. The bow of these boats sits a little higher out of the water than your average fishing boat I'd say. 57 works just fine 99% of the time. If I had the option of getting a 60-65" that would be perfect, 72 would be too much imo.

Dcauthen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's Great news!!! I'm getting the 57 installed on Friday to my 21fsh '22. I have the 93sv flush mounted on the Helm. I will be in Fresh water 99% of the time. Going 24v with 2agm batteries.. Thanks for responding FAST...

Atadventures

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m running a Minn Kota Terrova 24v 80 pound with a 60 inch shaft and a Simrad GO9 on my 195FSH.

While I do like the idea of integration. I simply didn’t like using the the buttons on the Hummingbird Helix. For what it is worth I ran a Helix on my kayak for a couple of years so I was familiar with it and man the picture for DI and SI was sharp, but once you get used to using touch screen you never go back. I am also never without my trollling motor remote around my neck, so I don’t think there are a ton of advantages I am missing out on for my setup.

randocommando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
24v is perfect power. 60" shaft if mainly freshwater, or 1-2ft offshore chop. If 2-3ft seas or more, you appreciate a longer shaft. I live in Fort Myers. Always saltwater. 60" is perfect for me. Sometimes the prop comes out of the water when offshore in choppy seas. However, keeping a 72" shaft stowed would cut in to the seating space too much for my liking.

Britzkca

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Any pics of your force trolling motors mounted? How about transducer placement? My 2022 210 fsh is it the dealer now, just awaiting prep. Thanks

jjwelly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Any pics of your force trolling motors mounted? How about transducer placement? My 2022 210 fsh is it the dealer now, just awaiting prep. Thanks
yeah, I got some pics. My boat is actually at my dealers now for 10 hour service along with some things that were not right. I should be getting it back any day so if there's something else you'd like to see just ask..

Attachments

Britzkca

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks for replying so fast! I certainly love the look of the white trolling motor.