• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any better oil change deals out there?

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Spring is coming! Spark plugs were tougher than normal to get last year, so I wanted to get spring parts a few weeks earlier this year and beat the rush.

I did the math on individual parts and kits at multiple sources and came upon this Amazon package deal which seemed like the best deal I could find. Just about to pull the trigger on a pair of these kits. I'm all ears if anyone knows of a better deal out there.

Spring is coming! Spark plugs were tougher than normal to get last year, so I wanted to get spring parts a few weeks earlier this year and beat the rush.

I did the math on individual parts and kits at multiple sources and came upon this Amazon package deal which seemed like the best deal I could find. Just about to pull the trigger on a pair of these kits. I'm all ears if anyone knows of a better deal out there.

Napa always has the plugs. I just ordered my LFR6A's the other day and they were on my doorstep in less than 48 hours.

Where I got my plugs

Oddly enough this is where I found the oil change kits the cheapest. I normally get them from leadersRPM on their ebay store.

Be cautious of Amazon deals - some are selling fake NGK plugs made in Chinese factories. I recommend buying from a reputable source like @suke mentioned suck as Napa or other big chain stores. It's usually only a couple bucks difference so make sure you're getting genuine NGK spark plugs.

As for oil, Yamaha oil for skis and boats is a very generic 10w40 mineral oil, it's not synthetic or anything special. Any decent quality 10w40 oil from your auto parts store will fulfill the minimum requirements of Yamaha engines (read your owner's manual). I like Castrol GTX 10w40 as it's a semi-synthetic designed for high revving engines such as performance cars and motorcycles (13k rpm and higher), and it has a much better additive package to protect the engine from wear than the generic Yamaha oil. And at half the price or better. Yamaha recommends their own oil because it's $1 oil sold at $5 to maximize profits. Boat dealerships are just like car dealerships - they make as much money on the over-priced oil and maintenance packages as the car itself.

Yamaha filters are also generic low-end cellulose filters - nothing special at all. Any decent filter will work just as well. I like Fram Toughguard filters which are better made and filter more/finer particulates. And at 1/3 the price or better. Same price grab as above.

I buy this kit every few months. Haven’t found anything cheaper.

I got everything for my boat from Amazon. Even saw a post from @HawaiiBreeze on the oil change kit review! Maybe I. A knock this out this weekend while Gasparilla is going on in Tampa. Won’t be using the boat with all those weekend warriors out.
8A051604-B462-483D-99C5-FE68304DB192.jpeg9209C7C0-CACC-41A7-A816-1A2DB3CE682F.jpegCF91B508-C48E-44DA-A50D-7E7E6A118F95.jpeg

Be cautious of Amazon deals - some are selling fake NGK plugs made in Chinese factories. I recommend buying from a reputable source like @suke mentioned suck as Napa or other big chain stores. It's usually only a couple bucks difference so make sure you're getting genuine NGK spark plugs.

As for oil, Yamaha oil for skis and boats is a very generic 10w40 mineral oil, it's not synthetic or anything special. Any decent quality 10w40 oil from your auto parts store will fulfill the minimum requirements of Yamaha engines (read your owner's manual). I like Castrol GTX 10w40 as it's a semi-synthetic designed for high revving engines such as performance cars and motorcycles (13k rpm and higher), and it has a much better additive package to protect the engine from wear than the generic Yamaha oil. And at half the price or better. Yamaha recommends their own oil because it's $1 oil sold at $5 to maximize profits. Boat dealerships are just like car dealerships - they make as much money on the over-priced oil and maintenance packages as the car itself.

Yamaha filters are also generic low-end cellulose filters - nothing special at all. Any decent filter will work just as well. I like Fram Toughguard filters which are better made and filter more/finer particulates. And at 1/3 the price or better. Same price grab as above.
interesting! Makes sense though

I always make sure to get my plugs from napa, or rockauto.

I use the yamaha kits cause they're easy to source, and Yamaha's engine "warranty" for using yamalube. I like that they even have that little paper funnel.

It was cheaper to order the 2 gal of oil and filters separately from Amazon then to purchase the kit from Amazon. Factoring in sales tax and shipping JPB was alot more. My dealer doesnt even get the kits anymore they just sell gallon jugs of oil.

Last change I did at 10 hours I ordered the Yamaha filter online and went to AutoZone and purchased full synthetic oil. Ended up costing me about $20 more than the kit. That was my experience.

I got everything for my boat from Amazon.
Iridium plugs in Yamaha jetboats is a waste of money. Iridium is designed for engines with long-life plugs and fuel injection systems tuned for the plugs.

I buy this kit every few months. Haven’t found anything cheaper.
Really? I buy Castrol oil, Toughguard filters, and NGK plugs for about half that price locally at my auto parts store. I'm confident that the oil and filters are of much better quality than Yamaha parts, and the plugs are genuine NGK. I don't mind buying OEM stuff if it's good, but Yamaha oil and filters are at the lowest end of the quality spectrum. Almost anything is better...which is an indicator of the quality of their engines - they run great on cheap oil and filters.
:)

Iridium plugs in Yamaha jetboats is a waste of money. Iridium is designed for engines with long-life plugs and fuel injection systems tuned for the plugs.
Interesting, I read they are a little better for performance than the stock OEM, not that I will gain a ton of performance. I got them on sale for roughly a buck more than the standard plugs. Worth a shot.

Really? I buy Castrol oil, Toughguard filters, and NGK plugs for about half that price locally at my auto parts store. I'm confident that the oil and filters are of much better quality than Yamaha parts, and the plugs are genuine NGK. I don't mind buying OEM stuff if it's good, but Yamaha oil and filters are at the lowest end of the quality spectrum. Almost anything is better...which is an indicator of the quality of their engines - they run great on cheap oil and filters.
Not starting an argument here. I feel Yamaha and probably most engine manufacturers do their R&D before launching a product for what is best in their engines. Personally for me, $54 for genuine Yamaha products isn’t bad as that’s what is recommended and holds the engine warranty in the owners manual. I did get my kit on sale for around $46 before the holidays so that helps. Some people are brand specific, other on cost, just depends what you prefer. I do recommend looking at your oil to make sure it has the correct additives package as required per the engine if you don’t use Yamalube. My $.02
Yamaha OEM Oil Change Kit FX HO SHO SVHO FZR FZS VXR VXS GP1800 - LUB-WTRCG-KT-10 https://a.co/d/fcziTnx

Half the price?

Hell plugs at a local store cost me $30 alone (I run the LFR7As on the supercharged) doubt the 6s are much different. Decent oil filter is going to be ~$12 and a 5 qt of oil is $30. That is basically the same price. That kit sometimes drops down to $55 which is killer deal.

I always found their prices much higher than Amazon.
Maybe I've or you just been lucky. Before I order anything I search for deals as much as possible. Prices are literally the same, maybe a couple of dollars difference.

Not starting an argument here. I feel Yamaha and probably most engine manufacturers do their R&D before launching a product for what is best in their engines. Personally for me, $54 for genuine Yamaha products isn’t bad as that’s what is recommended and holds the engine warranty in the owners manual. I did get my kit on sale for around $46 before the holidays so that helps. Some people are brand specific, other on cost, just depends what you prefer. I do recommend looking at your oil to make sure it has the correct additives package as required per the engine if you don’t use Yamalube. My $.02
Yamaha OEM Oil Change Kit FX HO SHO SVHO FZR FZS VXR VXS GP1800 - LUB-WTRCG-KT-10 https://a.co/d/fcziTnx
That's the Watercraft II kit. Nice price.

Half the price?
Yes shop around. I wait for the store to have a 50% off sale (usually spring and fall) on the oil and filters $30, plus another $32 for a box of 4 LFR6A (never found them cheaper). That's $62 CDN which is about $46 USD per engine. The Yamalube kit is $89 plus $32 for plugs so $121 CDN per engine. Same applies to my vehicles - 5 liters of 5w30 semi-synthetic and filter is $30.

Back