• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR 190/195 - sub box in Port/Starboard Quarter ? >>

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did you put your additional 6.5's.
at the end of the bench seat.. see pics above... not optimal but better than the access plates I was gonna use to cover the holes I cut to access the ski tower bolts... just running them off the 2 of the 50W unused channels in my head unit... the stock location speakers run off a 4x100W amp on the line outs. seems to give good balance... I also bought a 10" Kicker free air sub 4 ohm... will install seat height on port side freeboard... prolly centered with the seat post... got a 2 channel 200W/ch to bridge on the sub line out from my JVC head unit....

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Attachments

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@white2kstang ...looks great.

With the 19 ft, didn't know if there would be much benefit for an extra set of 6.5's. I can hear the cabin pretty well with just the 2. Your 2019 has the speakers a bit farther back in the cabin then the 2018's. They have the 6.5's almost mid cabin which I think helps?

Attachments

Last edited:

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@white2kstang ...looks great.

With the 19 ft, didn't know if there would be much benefit for an extra set of 6.5's. I can hear the cabin pretty well with just the 2. Your 2019 has the speakers a bit farther back in the cabin then the 2018's. They have the 6.5's almost mid cabin which I think helps?
Being off the floor probably helps a lot as well.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I tried putting the sub under the seat and it didn't work well for me. I ended up buying a Kicker 45CWTB82 8" subwoofer and put it under the bench seat. It sounds good to me. I got to open it up and change the speaker when I put too much power to it, and its a durable waterproof construction. No worries to spray water directly at it.

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I like this approach. That area under the bench is somewhat useless and this seems to be a good use of space. I think another member fit the 10 inch version under there.

I wonder if you could fit 2 or 3 and fill that whole space.

How did you run your wire? Drill a hole or use the existing bench bolt holes?

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I like this approach. That area under the bench is somewhat useless and this seems to be a good use of space. I think another member fit the 10 inch version under there.

You definitely can put 2 or 3 of them. I am happy with 1 and it still fits my soft bag cooler next to it.

The sub comes with a mounting bracket for installing the speaker vertically. I used this bracket to mount the speaker horizontally and drilled 4 holes and bolt+nut it to the fiberglass wall (you can see this in the video). I was worried that there would be too much load on this wall so I 3D printed a simple part that slides under the front of the speaker (also can see this directly under the speaker in the video). You can either fabricate something of your own or pay my brother to make this for you. The speaker wire I drilled a hole and ran it to the amplifier that is installed beneath the glove box(? storage box? idk).

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

I've got a similar set-up on my AR-192. I used the method by screwing the bracket to the back wall to hold it in place. I used a rubber grommet under the sub to push up on the bracket to help relieve some of the pressure, as I don't have access to a 3D printer. Drilled a hole to run the wire to the amp, which is in the passenger side compartment.

Attachments

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've got a similar set-up on my AR-192. I used the method by screwing the bracket to the back wall to hold it in place. I used a rubber grommet under the sub to push up on the bracket to help relieve some of the pressure, as I don't have access to a 3D printer. Drilled a hole to run the wire to the amp, which is in the passenger side compartment.
Yeah I have exactly like that and with the same amplifier. Be careful with that amplifier. I accidentally burnt up my subwoofer for putting too much power. A replacement speaker from kicker was like $90.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yeah I have exactly like that and with the same amplifier. Be careful with that amplifier. I accidentally burnt up my subwoofer for putting too much power.
Curious how much is "too much"? The 8" TB sub tube is rated to handle 300w RMS and the JL M600/6 bridged is rated 200w - is that the config you have?

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Curious how much is "too much"? The 8" TB sub tube is rated to handle 300w RMS and the JL M600/6 bridged is rated 200w - is that the config you have?
I didn't look too much at the amp in the previous post. I now see that its an M600 6ch. I have a different amplifier, M500 maybe? It's a 4ch speaker amp with a dedicated sub channel. I don't remember exactly what I did. I googled how to set up amplifier gain on youtube and used the audio with a multimeter to tune the gain. Everything was fine until I did something stupid later, messed with gain, put a sub remote, and chose the wrong song on full volume. The speaker immediately died and the subwoofer was definitely burnt when I opened it. It smelled like burnt electronics and the cone felt crusty when I pushed on it.

Edit: I have a JL M700/5. Sub channel is 300W RMS @ 2ohm but I suspect its stronger to have easily burnt up the speaker https://www.jlaudio.com/products/m700-5-marine-audio-m-series-amplifiers-98274

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yea, i'm pushing it only 100 watts, so it really needs more power, but it sounds good enough for me.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
messed with gain, put a sub remote, and chose the wrong song on full volume
Sounds like you pushed the amp too hard and it clipped which then overheated the voicecoil. Speakers generally don't die from a little extra power, it's when they don't have enough CLEAN power they get damaged. If you pumped 600w continuous it might blow too, but it's almost always distortion and clipped soundwave forms that blow speakers.

When listening to music cranked, if you hear the music sounds "strained" or a little "dull/flat", turn it down immediately. It's harder to hear this with subs and the trend is way too much bass output, which is a recipe for a blown speaker.