• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 speedometer paddle wheel replacemnt

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just discovered that the speedometer on the 2014 ar190 I bought is not working. The original purchase date was 7/3/14, is this an item I can get repaired under warranty? The closest dealer is an hour away. Thoughts or suggestions?

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Should be warranty. Most are standard with a 12 month warranty

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any idea how yours works? Is it a Pitot, Paddle Wheel or GPS? It could be a simple fix that would save you towing it to the dealer. But either way, it should be covered under the warranty.

eggwhite93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
My 2015 stopped working third time out. I was just going to have it looked at on my 10 hour service but I was in the dealer picking up the registration paperwork and I mentioned it to my salesman. He showed me the paddle wheel under the boat near the aft on the right side of jet. He told me that sand or sea grass or anything really can get stuck in there. I went home and checked it out and sure enough there was a bit of sand in there. Cleaned it out and I was good to go next time out.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a paddle wheel. I'll clean it out and give it a try today. If not I'll have to take the boat nearly 75 miles for it to be checked before the original purchase date of 7,3,14.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the paddle wheel spins freely, but there is a paddle completely snapped off and another which has a broken piece off it. I guess thats my culprit? an unbalanced paddlewheel?
upload_2017-8-24_23-26-12.png

Here's a picture of my broken paddlewheel. One of the paddles is snapped off and one of the fins that direct water across the paddles is also gone. Im guessing that pretty early on the boat hit a rock or log or maybe even the trailer. Looking back I read that the previous owner had asked about this problem on the other site.

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since it poured today and Im lucky enough to have my boat parked in one side of my garage I decided I would attempt to repair the paddle wheel. After mentioning it to the selling dealer He steered me to a paddlewheel repair kit that I purchased for $23. It came with a new Paddlewheel, Axle, and 5 new O-rings.

20150802_Speedo parts.JPG

The repair manual didn't have much to say on the removal of the unit so I was just winging it. Here's how the repair went.

I removed the panel under the wet storage area to access the paddlewheel assembly which uses and airmar plastic through hull unit.

20150802_removing hatch.JPG

If I had known that the inner edge of that cut out had so many loose strands of fiberglass I would have worn long sleeves. Also if anyone winds up doing this repair or others in there, wear gloves! I got a fiberglass shard under the fingernail which made me stand up and see stars.

Before the tops off you have to loosen the top clamp on the clean-out port tube, and then gently move the whole unit over if you're not disconnecting the wet storage drain tube.

20150802_Port covers and screws.JPG

Once open it was clear I was in the right place. The sensor assembly was right there, secured with safety wire.

20150802_top of speedo unit.JPG

Once the safety wire was un-looped, the top of the unit unscrews normally until it touches the round metal loop attached to the top. After that a few turns unscrewed the second retainer ring holding the unit in the Airmar tube. Once they're both unlocked, grab the metal ring and pull the entire unit up out of the tube.

20150802_speedo extraction 1.JPG

Ha Ha! Uh oh!:eek:

20150802_speedo warning lable.JPG

I pushed the pin axle out with a punch and out came my broken paddlewheel. Even though the broken paddlewheel still spun by hand, the pin axle was bent upon inspection.

20150802_Speedo Broken wheel out.JPG

I put the new Wheel in making sure it would face the correct way, and changed all the O-rings with the ones supplied in the package. I noticed that the unit has grooves for 4, although only 2 were used. I decided I'd use all 4 since I had the grooves. I used high vacuum grease on all O-ring replacements, and since this would see constant water infiltration I probably over greased them.

20150802_greasing O ringsi.JPG

After that it gets pushed back into the Airmar tube facing the right direction, and the two retention caps are tightened and then secured with the safety wire.

I have high hopes that this fixes my problem, I guess I'll have to report back after the rain stops and I get on the lake. I really want a functioning Speedo...

Last edited:

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Nice write up. I hope that fixes your issue. I,like you, would get driven nuts not having a speedometer...even if they don't seem to read accurately.

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WOOHOO! First repair, First WIN!!! We finally got out on the water today after a painful 11 day hiatus, and guess what? I did it right. The speedometer worked. Im thrilled. My wife on the other hand.... not so much. Now every time she looks over she starts yelling that's too fast. I tried to tell her that the speedometers are way off but she downloaded a GPS speedo and called BS! Darnit!

Last edited:

DWatson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey mr2, thanks for your informative post, it allowed me to fix my speedo yesterday following your notes. Tested fix by "bumping" the engine to get the gauges on, then had a helper spin the paddle, to then see the speedo needle move...

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great news! Glad I could help out in some way. I've learned so much from this community, its nice to know I helped somehow.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad that you both have your speedos working again!!! Great write up @njmr2fan im sure many guys will benefit from your detailed "how to" post.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@njmr2fan great write up, I will add it to the FAQ

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@njmr2fan could you update the subject line to AR190 speedometer paddle wheel replacement or something similar

360dart

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it possible to update your pics of your write up? No pics are showing and I'm doing the same repair...

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Same here, the pictures do not show.

Does anyone have the link to the paddle wheel replacement kit?

I need to do this on my FSH

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@njmr2fan - just use the "upload a file" button, right beside the "port reply" button. When replying to a post that is. I haven't used a photo host in years, large thanks to this forum and it's awesomeness.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry folks, seems I'm late to the party and Photo-bucket now wants to charge $400 year to host photos to forums. Makes me sad because I've used this service for years now while posting on all different types of forums. I can't even imagine all the broken picture links for "how to's" on my car, gun, skiing, snowboarding, motorcycling, and detailing forums.... I will do my best to update pictures in this forum so that these type of threads can be helpful once again.

DutchBoy17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We had a minor sand grounding yesterday followed by no speedo. This thread was really helpful in troubleshooting the issue.

Paddles all still on the paddlewheel? Check.

Flush the paddlewheel assembly from the bottom with water, bump the ignition and have someone spin the paddle with a hose? Check ... and the speedo functions again!

I really like @mjrm2fan's post #7: great pictures!

CA Sterling Archer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @njmr2fan ! I hit something on the water and my paddle wheel broke and the axel bent. When I called my local Yamaha dealer asking for the paddle wheel repair kit, they said that wouldn’t work to fix it and I had to replace the whole sensor unit at a cost of about $500. Thanks to your write up, I changed out the axel and paddle wheel for only $30 and about an hour of time. Bumped the ignition and had someone spin the wheel and it seems to be working! Thanks again!

Only drawback to this fixing the problem was if it didn’t work I was going to install Perfect Pass or Ride Steady Hydrophase, oh well, next time.

Last edited: