• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR192 Budget Stereo 2x 12" Subs!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I picked up this 2014 AR192 a few months ago and have been doing a little work to it before Spring comes. I always like big audio for cheap because I don't see the value in $2000 systems. I'm sure they sound great, but isn't my preference. So here's my stupid, simple, and cheap build. Here's what I bought:

MTX Terminator TNE212D 1,200W Dual 12in Sub Enclosure $129.95
4x Kenwood 6.5" 2-way Marine Speakers $83.42 (Amazon Warehouse Deals)
BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amp Install Kit $14.99
Rockville RXH-F5 1600w RMS 5-Channel Amp $149.95
Paid with my Amazon Card 5% Rewards $18.92 in account credit
Total Cost $359.39

The amplifier is inside the helm underneath the stereo. I used some thin plywood that I had laying around, drilled holes for the existing studs, and then screwed the amp into the plywood. Really clean install. It's a car amp so I wish that I had taken it apart and coated everything with conformal coating spray. Maybe I will do it later.

The speakers in the bow were in terrible condition. It crumbled into pieces when I went to remove them.
56901531174__F62A7B7F-78C7-4399-8A8F-F01C7DF14CE4.JPG

The subs fit through the opening with not a millimeter to spare.
IMG_4666.jpg

I had some aluminum stock that I bent 2 90 degree angles in and used the existing stud to the right. Still some room in front to fit a small cooler or other.
IMG_4693.jpg

Video below. Stereo's volume is at 50% and the vibrations are from the seat. I will be adding foam strip between the seat's hard plastic and the boat's hull. Sorry if you don't like Spanish music :p Maybe I will add some vent on the side of the compartment for sound to escape. The clarity after removing the seat is crazy good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
speakers in the bow were in terrible condition. It crumbled into pieces when I went to remove them.
Must be salt? This pic goes to show those "marine" ratings for Polk DB651s are rather misleading...

--

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I picked up this 2014 AR192 a few months ago and have been doing a little work to it before Spring comes. I always like big audio for cheap because I don't see the value in $2000 systems. I'm sure they sound great, but isn't my preference. So here's my stupid, simple, and cheap build. Here's what I bought:

MTX Terminator TNE212D 1,200W Dual 12in Sub Enclosure $129.95
4x Kenwood 6.5" 2-way Marine Speakers $83.42 (Amazon Warehouse Deals)
BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amp Install Kit $14.99
Rockville RXH-F5 1600w RMS 5-Channel Amp $149.95
Paid with my Amazon Card 5% Rewards $18.92 in account credit
Total Cost $359.39

The amplifier is inside the helm underneath the stereo. I used some thin plywood that I had laying around, drilled holes for the existing studs, and then screwed the amp into the plywood. Really clean install. It's a car amp so I wish that I had taken it apart and coated everything with conformal coating spray. Maybe I will do it later.

The speakers in the bow were in terrible condition. It crumbled into pieces when I went to remove them.
View attachment 86937

The subs fit through the opening with not a millimeter to spare.
View attachment 86936

I had some aluminum stock that I bent 2 90 degree angles in and used the existing stud to the right. Still some room in front to fit a small cooler or other.
View attachment 86938

Video below. Stereo's volume is at 50% and the vibrations are from the seat. I will be adding foam strip between the seat's hard plastic and the boat's hull. Sorry if you don't like Spanish music :p Maybe I will add some vent on the side of the compartment for sound to escape. The clarity after removing the seat is crazy good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
What is your crossover set to on your amp? When you lifted the seat i could hear words coming out of your 12's. Should just hear bass and nothing else. Might just be the video.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Must be salt? This pic goes to show those "marine" ratings for Polk DB651s are rather misleading...
Right! It looks like condensation sits in the bow area because only the front speakers rotted. The new kenwoods are all plastic with the exception of the magnet.

What is your crossover set to on your amp? When you lifted the seat i could hear words coming out of your 12's. Should just hear bass and nothing else. Might just be the video.
Good observation. I didn't spend any time to tune the system and I wasn't aware of this issue. But it makes a lot of sense now that I think of it. Thanks.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right! It looks like condensation sits in the bow area because only the front speakers rotted. The new kenwoods are all plastic with the exception of the magnet.

Good observation. I didn't spend any time to tune the system and I wasn't aware of this issue. But it makes a lot of sense now that I think of it. Thanks.
If you change if over to low pass and adjust the HZ down to about 50-75 depending on your subs and turn the gain up on your amp to about 2/3 maybe 3/4 it should jam.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you change if over to low pass and adjust the HZ down to about 50-75 depending on your subs and turn the gain up on your amp to about 2/3 maybe 3/4 it should jam.
Will do. Thanks. Now I need to check the subs in my car.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have one of my subs under the seat and added a vent, night and day diff....especially once you tune it and the sub breaks in fully.

I have an extra vent, made of starboard if your looking for one PM me....I bought 2 of them but my other sub is in the large port storage and the vent isnt quite large enough, so I'm gonna have a shop make me a custom vent that matches the other one but prob in white, if so dont need the extra one and will be listing it on the classifieds here.

No pressure, but venting that sub will make it come alive.

34712.jpeg
marine-audio-compartment-vent-roswell-marine-dimensions.jpg

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have one of my subs under the seat and added a vent, night and day diff....especially once you tune it and the sub breaks in fully.

I have an extra vent, made of starboard if your looking for one PM me....I bought 2 of them but my other sub is in the large port storage and the vent isnt quite large enough, so I'm gonna have a shop make me a custom vent that matches the other one but prob in white, if so dont need the extra one and will be listing it on the classifieds here.

No pressure, but venting that sub will make it come alive.

View attachment 87062
View attachment 87063
I was thinking to do something like this. Give me some time to mentally prepare making that large cut haha.

Last edited:

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Totally understand, but you've come this far to get great sound...

Im in the same situation, my 2nd 12 doesn't have a vent so I keep the door open, but when I'm underway I lock the door which totally kills my vibe, so I need a larger vent than this one to fit

Last edited:

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was thinking to do something like this. Give me some time to mentally prepare making that large cut haha.
Man up, have a drink and get the damn dremal out

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Man up, have a drink and get the damn dremal out
True. I'm going to measure when I arrive back from my vacation. I cut apart a brand new Superjet before so I need to stop being lazy.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The diff is night and day as you can see when you lift that seat.

I need to feel all my bass, hence trying to do the same things as you.

Once I get the white one I'm going to order to install on the port storage areas, I will post some pics, expect to get my next round of mods started in late Mar.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
12 inch subs move a lot of air. Letting them direct vent into the cabin will make a big difference. Even if the amp is mounted in the battery comparment I would recommend rethinking that 8 awg wire and upgrade to 4 awg ofc or 4 awg tinned ofc. Make sure to have a portable jump pack on hand as that amp is hungry.

That is a lot of bang for the buck, enjoy.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The diff is night and day as you can see when you lift that seat.

I need to feel all my bass, hence trying to do the same things as you.

Once I get the white one I'm going to order to install on the port storage areas, I will post some pics, expect to get my next round of mods started in late Mar.
I was wondering what if ur sub encloser is in the large center compartment would it sound better to vent that too? If so where would i vent it, on the door?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's the plan, I am going to get a custom vent made and enlarge the existing vent so I can keep the door closed but all the bass can escape.

I am venting it on the door towards the bottom, there is an existing vent there but not sufficient for what I need, so will cut that out and open it up and then cover it with the new vent.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's the plan, I am going to get a custom vent made and enlarge the existing vent so I can keep the door closed but all the bass can escape.

I am venting it on the door towards the bottom, there is an existing vent there but not sufficient for what I need, so will cut that out and open it up and then cover it with the new vent.
sounds great please post some pics for us.