• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR210 won't start and rough idle ***UPDATE SOLUTION***

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a few things you could try...

1. Try removing the lanyard and pull the plunger in and out several times. Then reinsert the lanyard and attempt to start.

2. Get under the dash and unplug each ignition switch. Reconnect each switch to opposite wiring harness. Re attempt starting engines to see if issue swaps to other engine.

3. Get into the cleanout access port. Open up access cover to area under swim platform. Unplug wiring harnesses to cleanout switches and reconnect to opposite switch.

4. Finally. Try to gain access to the lanyard switch harness. It's under the throttle controls. It is actually one plunger with two switches. One for each engine. You can try unplugging both plugs and again swapping it to the other circuit on the switch.

These measures should help to eliminate a defective switch by isolating it with a known working one. Hope it helps you out.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks @itsdgm . I had thought of some of these solutions, but didn't do the lanyard or ignition ones because it was actually firing up and running, just running really rough for a brief time. I'm bummed right now dangit.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
UPDATE

Okay, after trying everything I could think of or had the ability to do, along with suggestions on here, I finally had to take it to a local marine mechanic. He works on Yamaha waverunners, jet skis, SeaDoos and such for many many years. After telling him everyhing I had done and checked, he had it figured out in like 30 minutes. He ran a compression check and I was getting ZERO out of my #3 cylinder. It's gonna be a stuck valve. Which many of you may know requires pulling the engine and rebuilding. Dadgummit!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a bummer @ToddW850 Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted on his findings and pics if possible. Hopefully I won't be headed down this path also. Makes me wonder if I had a sticky valve that happened to free itself up.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I thought about you too @itsdgm being you have the same boat and with what you described.

For what it's worth, he said I did everything right trying to safeguard it for winter. Only thing better would be to run it all winter. What hurt me was allowing it to sit the last few months. But another contributor is the area I live in with the moisture.

I'll keep y'all updated and try to get some pics. He's gonna open her up Friday and work on her all day to get her ready for me. Hope to be out by this weekend.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After all that I was going to suggest a compression check....... Is there a way to free the valve without pulling the engine and rebuilding it?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
but did he tell you why the other engine was running rough?

jpg1130

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ToddW850, sorry to hear about your troubles. What a great mechanic trying to get you going for this week! How many hours are on your motors?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Magic I asked that He said running a very very strong something, like additive or something, through it would have been the other option, however he was extremely confident it would not work because it was stuck and not just "sticking." The way I understood it was if it was either sticking off and on or a little bit, the additive could get there. But he said even that wasn't a guarantee.

@Scottintexas I had him look at the other engine as well. He did a compression check and the numbers were good, all around 200. He looked it over and doesn't think anything is wrong with it. He thinks I just need to run the gas through it. It's really not running all that rough at the moment. So we'll see.

@jpg1130 Thanks. Yeah, the plan was to pull the motor today and he was going to work on it all day and have it back to me by 4pm. However, we have nasty storms here today so we have to wait til Monday now. He has to pull the motor from the boat outside his bay door, then he's going to bring the motor inside to do the work. But again, he said he'll get it back to me by close of business Monday. So figners crossed. Oh, and he's going to plug it up (YDS I believe) and do diagnotics and check my engine hours. I estimate I have in excess of 250 hours.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for keeping us up to date @ToddW850 I'm watching closely and would love to see pics along the way if possible. Hopefully I won't need them though.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You got it @itsdgm . I am definitely going to try and score some pics. I'll keep y'all posted.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before I knew better, I possibly had a sticking valve in another boat.... I just ran it like hell for about 3 minutes, and it just started running fine all by itself..... I thought it was something with the fuel or plug, but getting advice from a mechanic friend later on, his opinion was a stuck valve that figured out how to free itself with the added heat.....

Not saying to do this, just relating an experience from years ago.....before I knew better.....

Good luck!!

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Before I knew better, I possibly had a sticking valve in another boat.... I just ran it like hell for about 3 minutes, and it just started running fine all by itself..... I thought it was something with the fuel or plug, but getting advice from a mechanic friend later on, his opinion was a stuck valve that figured out how to free itself with the added heat.....

Not saying to do this, just relating an experience from years ago.....before I knew better.....

Good luck!!
Oh how I WISH it would get unstuck. If I could get it started, I'd run it to see. I've gone out into the boat everyday trying to start it. Last 2 days the first time I crank it, it will run for about 5-7 seconds and die. Can't get her going after that. And yet I'll try again tomorrow, because I take her to the shop first thing Monday morning, and it's my last day to try. I'll keep y'all posted for sure.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would putting marvel mystery oil in each cylinder be a bad idea? I don't see how it could hurt any more than the start up tries that you are doing and it might help free up a stuck valve.

It sounds like you will get this to the shop on Monday either way.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Would putting marvel mystery oil in each cylinder be a bad idea? I don't see how it could hurt any more than the start up tries that you are doing and it might help free up a stuck valve.

It sounds like you will get this to the shop on Monday either way.
What would the procedure be for the marvel mystery oil? And if it worked, do you think I'd have to worry about it sticking again this season? I might give it a shot if I have time today.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It sounds like your trying to do all the right things. Yamaha now recommends that boats that run or live in salt conditions, to use fogging oil all the time, not just for winterizing. And it is for this very reason...slight rusting and stuff sticking. They also recommend the use of Yamaha Ring Free in addition to fuel stabilizers. I hate that you have to tear it down to get it running. There is a new procedure for fogging too, since they want you to do it so often. If you follow it, it won't foul the spark plugs. I adopted the procedure and sure enough, no fouling. I sure hope it isn't a costly fix and that you get up and running again quickly. I am attaching the new fogging procedure documents as well as the ring free recommendation. Keep us posted!
Yamaha Fogging Procedure-1 (Medium).jpg Yamaha Fogging Procedure-2 (Medium).jpg Yamaha Fogging Procedure-3 (Medium).jpg Ring Free additive recommendation.jpg

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the info Mel. Looks like I'll be fogging this method during the upcoming season and using Ring Free now too.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What would the procedure be for the marvel mystery oil? And if it worked, do you think I'd have to worry about it sticking again this season? I might give it a shot if I have time today.
You could put a little oil in the cylinder by pulling each spark plug. I think going forward you will want to use fogging oil and some of the fuel additive that was suggested.

I don't know that this will save you but it would be one option. I think it could also be one of your switches like was mentioned above.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
UPDATE

Today was the day. I got her dropped off at the mechanic at 0830 this morning and he got right on it. Pulled the engine and tore her down. Picked her back up at 530 PM. It was in fact the valve. He's been working on waverunners and jet skis (and now jet boats) since 1988 and races jet skis. He's never seen anything like this. He said it was almost like a mud clogging my 3 cylinder and sticking the valve. It was only that cylinder. Others were fine. He said it's not mud but he doesn't know what it is or how it got there. He said it was nothing I did. He was baffled, as am I.

But anyway, paid the bill, got my boat back and I'm VERY happy.

Here are some pics he took.

Engine Rebuild 2.jpg Engine rebuild.jpg i0000010.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ah, the infamous #3 cylinder strikes again! Glad you were able to get it fixed so fast, that's worth paying the money for,