• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR250 top speed and cruising speed

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

I have a 2010 AR240 that I'm looking to trade for a AR250 if i found one this year or order one at the end of the year ...

Boattest did try the 252SD with disappointing top speed at 43,9MPH but that boat is 600lb heavier than a AR250 and more than a 1000lbs heavier than my 2010 AR240.

does anyone who owned a AR250 can tell me what kind of top speed they're doing and what cruising speed they go around 6000rpm that is my sweet spot one mine.

Thx's in advance

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
there was a thread around here where people were talking about that speed from boat test and i think it was determined that those #'s arent right.

Seattle_Phaeton

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had my AR250 on the lake Saturday. With 6 people and 80% fuel and saw 43mph with a little headwind. Sorry wasn't really paying attention to speed and RPM just having fun.

Gooch

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had mine out on Saturday. 6000 rpm during break-in I was hovering around 30 mph with 3 adults and full tank.

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Had mine out on Saturday. 6000 rpm during break-in I was hovering around 30 mph with 3 adults and full tank.
That's not bad, I am more interested in acceleration and cruising speed. What boat did you had before, did the engine where quiet at this speed ?

Gooch

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is my first boat. A friend has a 240 and it seems to be much louder than the 250. As far as acceleration goes, this thing takes off like a scalded ape!

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
What year his 240, they are quieter since 2015 ?

Gooch

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe 2017. I was somewhat amazed at the lack of engine noise around 6000 rpm. Don’t get me wrong, you can still here it, but you can also hold a conversation without screaming at each other.

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That's good news, mine is a screamer... one of the reason I want to upgrade.

if you talk back to your friend plz confirm me if it is a 2015+ model.

thank's for the quick reply !

Jroyal69

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

I have a 2010 AR240 that I'm looking to trade for a AR250 if i found one this year or order one at the end of the year ...

Boattest did try the 252SD with disappointing top speed at 43,9MPH but that boat is 600lb heavier than a AR250 and more than a 1000lbs heavier than my 2010 AR240.

does anyone who owned a AR250 can tell me what kind of top speed they're doing and what cruising speed they go around 6000rpm that is my sweet spot one mine.

Thx's in advance
Although we’ve only had our boat out twice, I’d say my AR250 cruising speed is around 6300rpm@34mph. The first time I took it out, 43mph was the top speed, the second time it wound up to a lackluster 45mph. I’ve begun an email log of the issues I’ve had with about 3 hours on my boat so far.
I sure with I still had my 2005 Bayliner I sold to buy this disappointment.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Although we’ve only had our boat out twice, I’d say my AR250 cruising speed is around 6300rpm@34mph. The first time I took it out, 43mph was the top speed, the second time it wound up to a lackluster 45mph. I’ve begun an email log of the issues I’ve had with about 3 hours on my boat so far.
I sure with I still had my 2005 Bayliner I sold to buy this disappointment.
You’re not happy with the 250? What seems to be the issues you’re having? Thanks!

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Although we’ve only had our boat out twice, I’d say my AR250 cruising speed is around 6300rpm@34mph. The first time I took it out, 43mph was the top speed, the second time it wound up to a lackluster 45mph. I’ve begun an email log of the issues I’ve had with about 3 hours on my boat so far. I sure with I still had my 2005 Bayliner I sold to buy this disappointment.
Not sure how you got it up to 43mph the first time you took it out - did you follow the break-in procedures on the engines? First time out was break-in on the manual - even then the last hour or so of that full day run was keeping rpms under 6K - cruising speed there was 30's... after a full break in period and about 8 hours on the engine is when I finally opened her up and not even fully because it was pretty choppy on Lake Erie - hit 46mph with 6 adults and 80% fuel. Thing hauls on the water - I have zero complaints -almost too fast (ok well not too fast - but with some chop at speed it was a little loose 😂 ). I have to imagine with lower fuel level and 2 adults on a calm day it will push 50mph which is plenty fast on any body of water for a boat. Put 10 hours on it so far and just had the dealer complete the 10 hour service. These engines have some more room for performance as well -Riva doesn't exist to make things slower - after warranty is up I would love to see what some simple bolt on performance mods can do for the boat.

IMG_6331[1].JPG

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure how you got it up to 43mph the first time you took it out - did you follow the break-in procedures on the engines? First time out was break-in on the manual - even then the last hour or so of that full day run was keeping rpms under 6K - cruising speed there was 30's... after a full break in period and about 8 hours on the engine is when I finally opened her up and not even fully because it was pretty choppy on Lake Erie - hit 46mph with 6 adults and 80% fuel. Thing hauls on the water - I have zero complaints -almost too fast (ok well not too fast - but with some chop at speed it was a little loose 😂 ). I have to imagine with lower fuel level and 2 adults on a calm day it will push 50mph which is plenty fast on any body of water for a boat. Put 10 hours on it so far and just had the dealer complete the 10 hour service. These engines have some more room for performance as well -Riva doesn't exist to make things slower - after warranty is up I would love to see what some simple bolt on performance mods can do for the boat.

View attachment 149209
You seem to be at sea level. That helps with performance. Not sure if boats go faster or slower in salt vs fresh. Did you do the ribbon delete? I had a 210 so not sure on the 1.8l boats and haven’t taken out the 250 yet. I do have a GP1800R SVHO. Did you do the ribbon delete yet? Curious how that will help.

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lake Erie - so about 500 feet above SL. Stock Engines - Only mod I have done so far is the Stoltz Bow roller - Cobra Jet Steering system should arrive today for me to bolt on. So no ribbon delete - and to my point - these engines have room for performance.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lake Erie - so about 500 feet above SL. Stock Engines - Only mod I have done so far is the Stoltz Bow roller - Cobra Jet Steering system should arrive today for me to bolt on. So no ribbon delete - and to my point - these engines have room for performance.
Keep posting on what you find that helps. I’ll be doing the ribbon delete for sure!

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
thank,s.
Just under 6000rpm and about 30Mph With 6 adults is what I really wanted to know!

46mph is fine too, with a similar load I do about 47mph with my AR240 2010

Redwhiteandblue

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The break in is only a couple hrs per manual. Idle, under 5k , and under 6k for a couple hrs. I was able to open it up for a moment on our way back from a 40 mile trip in 55⁰ at 1010' elevation and got 46 mph
5500,6000rmps yielded a cruising speed between 30-34.