• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Are JL amps worth it? / Options for non-IB subs

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking at upgrading the stereo in my SX190, I know that I will be going with a Fusion MS-RA70 for the headunit but am now stuck trying to pick speakers and amp. I started looking at JL MX650's but the price of the JL M700/5 amp is killing me, over $600 for not even the full power that the 650's can handle? If I am going to be dropping $200+/pair on speakers I want them to be driven right and get the most power out of them as possible. Has anyone powered JL's with something other then a JL amp? or should I just "buy once, cry once" and go for it?

The sub is another question, I don't want to drill into the boat to add a sub so the IB subs from JL are out, any good alternatives selections appreciated.

Thanks

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Upgrading speakers, adding sub(s), and amp are definitely worth it. Try and stick with the same brand for all. In my SX192 I went with JL everything and added a sub (drilling holes is fun!). My new boat I went with WetSounds. Maybe consider refub to save some $$?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you do not want IB sub then your options are endless.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you do not want IB sub then your options are endless.
*One that can be powered easily by the JL M700/5 if I go that way. Most of the options I have been looking at are more power hungry then the JL's

Upgrading speakers, adding sub(s), and amp are definitely worth it. Try and stick with the same brand for all. In my SX192 I went with JL everything and added a sub (drilling holes is fun!). My new boat I went with WetSounds. Maybe consider refub to save some $$?
I am looking around for deals, trying to find refurbished units but everywhere looks to only have new.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I am looking around for deals, trying to find refurbished units but everywhere looks to only have new.
I picked up a lot from Creative Audio. Did you look there?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
JL w3 subs are the same as the IB but are for sealed or ported applications.

All the JL MX650 in my boat are powered by polk amps. Also the Wetsounds sound bar.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
JL w3 subs are the same as the IB but are for sealed or ported applications.

All the JL MX650 in my boat are powered by polk amps. Also the Wetsounds sound bar.
So something like the 12W3v3-2 or 10w3v3-2 could be the way to go? JL Audio 12W3v3-2: 12-inch (300 mm) Subwoofer Driver 2 Ω The W3's are not listed in JL's marine section so I should assume that they will need to be kept dry?

I picked up a lot from Creative Audio. Did you look there?
Found a refurbished amp but speakers are full price.

Reasy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think so-
The factory set up at running speed had to be cranked way up to hear.

I'm not an audiophile. But the upgrades I made to my stereo makes me just want to hang out on the boat and listen to music.

While rummaging through marine items I found a JL400/4 amp. After some research I realized this was a really good amp.
So I replaced the factory speakers with four 7.7"JL MX770's. Then added anotherJL MX300-1 amp with a 10" JL MX 101 sub.

I tuned the system to the factory specs 50hz for the sub and 1000hz for the speakers. WOW

I'm sure there are lots of good systems out there. but I'm very satisfied with what I have.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unless you're an audiophile, I would say the answer is no. I had a rockville 8ch amp in my boat, it sounded great right up until the RCA jack broke while I was futzing with it and I had to have it replaced under warranty. I didnt want to be without an amp during the summer so I picked up a JL 8 channel refurb from Creative Audio. It looks nicer and feels better made, but I literally could not tell a difference in sound quality. There has been some discussion here about the rockville crossovers maybe not being up to snuff, but for full-range output driving speakers, it was fine.

After the sting of the price tag wore off, I'm glad I have it - but if I hadn't had an issue with my rockville amp, I'd still have that installed.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There seems to be a lot more support for the JL's then anything else. @seanmclean what speakers do you have being driven by the amp? If you had to do it over, would you have gone with a rockville, JL or maybe something in between like Polk?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm running 8 Polk DB51s in-boat off the 8-channel amp. Like I said, I was really happy with the full-range performance from the Rockville Amp, and had the RCA jack not broken on me, I would still have it installed. I like the JL a lot, don't get me wrong, but I'm hardpressed to hear a difference.

I didn't really evaluate anything else, as I was looking for an 8-channel marine-rated amp. I'm a simpleton, so just wanted one channel per speaker for ease of wiring :)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is what a couple of guys here did:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/ported-subwoofer-box-question.17020/#post-294692

Sound clip of my JL speakers and wetsounds sound bar powered by my polk 4000.4 amps. I have no need to upgrade amps for those speakers. I have used many polk amps in the past and they have always preformed flawlessly.

Thats impressive... I was able to find a refurbished M700/5 that is closely priced to the Polk 4000.4 and gives me a sub ch so I think that's where I will go. Hopefully it sounds at least half as good as your boat.

I'm running 8 Polk DB51s in-boat off the 8-channel amp. Like I said, I was really happy with the full-range performance from the Rockville Amp, and had the RCA jack not broken on me, I would still have it installed. I like the JL a lot, don't get me wrong, but I'm hardpressed to hear a difference.

I didn't really evaluate anything else, as I was looking for an 8-channel marine-rated amp. I'm a simpleton, so just wanted one channel per speaker for ease of wiring :)
I like that approach (my wallet likes it even better), part of me is still thinking about saving some money by grabbing a Rockville and some Polk MM652's but the longevity of the Polk's in salt is pushing me to JL

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thats impressive... I was able to find a refurbished M700/5 that is closely priced to the Polk 4000.4 and gives me a sub ch so I think that's where I will go. Hopefully it sounds at least half as good as your boat.

I like that approach (my wallet likes it even better), part of me is still thinking about saving some money by grabbing a Rockville and some Polk MM652's but the longevity of the Polk's in salt is pushing me to JL
Didn't realize you were around salt.....yep no question, get a JL or wetsounds everything.

Rylee44

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just installed the MM652s and they sound excellent, much louder than the db651's while maintaining clarity and tone. The MM's are constructed with a fiber composite basket, they won't be able to rust on you like the db651's... You should really take a good look at them, performance to price is there.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just installed the MM652s and they sound excellent, much louder than the db651's while maintaining clarity and tone. The MM's are constructed with a fiber composite basket, they won't be able to rust on you like the db651's... You should really take a good look at them, performance to price is there.
For the setup I am looking to do it would be about $350 difference to go for the JL MX650's over MM652's, but if there is even a possibility of having to replace them after a few years then I would be out another $250 making it only $100 to go JL, thats all assuming the MM652's would fail at some point. I am open to other ideas if I can get the same performance of MX650's

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha
Looking at upgrading the stereo in my SX190, I know that I will be going with a Fusion MS-RA70 for the headunit but am now stuck trying to pick speakers and amp. I started looking at JL MX650's but the price of the JL M700/5 amp is killing me, over $600 for not even the full power that the 650's can handle? If I am going to be dropping $200+/pair on speakers I want them to be driven right and get the most power out of them as possible. Has anyone powered JL's with something other then a JL amp? or should I just "buy once, cry once" and go for it?

The sub is another question, I don't want to drill into the boat to add a sub so the IB subs from JL are out, any good alternatives selections appreciated.

Thanks
aloha JBehrens, I can’t speak about any other brands. But my personal experience with JL Audio marine amps r that they r worth every penny. I have a M1000/5v2 and a M400/4 in my AR240 powering Polk Audio MM651UM, WetSounds REV8 on tower, and Kenwood 10” subs in a Bandpass box. The power output by the JL’s r very good and clean. They r quality made and have all the bells and whistles as for adjustability(hi/low pass filters, crossover points, gain control, etc). That being said, u won’t go wrong and won’t be disappointed if u decide to go with JL amps.🤙🏽

Attachments

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Which sound bar did you go with? Where did you put it?
Our boat came with a wetsounds core 10 sound bar. I added 2 rev 10's to the tower to replace the DB651's that came factory with the boat.

I did turn the sound bar around so it faces forward and fills the front with music better.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aloha

aloha JBehrens, I can’t speak about any other brands. But my personal experience with JL Audio marine amps r that they r worth every penny. I have a M1000/5v2 and a M400/4 in my AR240 powering Polk Audio MM651UM, WetSounds REV8 on tower, and Kenwood 10” subs in a Bandpass box. The power output by the JL’s r very good and clean. They r quality made and have all the bells and whistles as for adjustability(hi/low pass filters, crossover points, gain control, etc). That being said, u won’t go wrong and won’t be disappointed if u decide to go with JL amps.🤙🏽
Another vote for JL! How are your MM651's doing in the salt? Are you happy with the sound quality or do you think JL MX's are in the future?