• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bar be que mod

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really like it! Looks like it will work well. Maybe PlastiDip the ends of the turnbuckles, and the ends of the rails? Also I've seen adjustable rubber feet at the hardware store that may work where it looks like you have a golf tee or something.

What is a phenolic sheet? Something that will cover the structure and make it look "finished"?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@gthh, this probably won't be a problem for you if you have already used or tested the grill but don't forget the propane. I did the first time out last year and ended up keeping the steaks on ice then eating takeout instead because I couldn't find any place on the water with propane for sale. That sucked. Now i keep at leer three cans/bottles (?) on board but also have a question in the back of my mind on how safe or unsafe doing so maybe.

Two more unsolicited tips (tell me to shut the F up (STFU)if you like and I will):

1. Line the grilling surface and / or th area beneath the grilling surface (the grilling pan?) with foil to make clean up a lot easier.

2. Tape the grease trap in place with some duct or masking tape (don't worry that area doesn't get hot). Mine sometimes slide out and if there is grease in it I may have a mess on my hands.

Last edited:

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK I have to ask.. You grill on the boat guys..what do you do about the grease spatter? It would drive my nuts...

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really like it! Looks like it will work well. Maybe PlastiDip the ends of the turnbuckles, and the ends of the rails? Also I've seen adjustable rubber feet at the hardware store that may work where it looks like you have a golf tee or something.

What is a phenolic sheet? Something that will cover the structure and make it look "finished"?
I am glad you like it. Feel free to improve on the idea and pass them along. I get so many good ideas from the folks here that it good to have one that someone can use to make their boating experience easier. A phenolic (or what I call it) is a dense resin fiber glass type board like you see in circuit boards. It is very strong and I have a 1/4 inch stock laying around in my shop taking up space. you could use some marine plywood as well or something else that can take some moisture without falling apart. Yes, I agree it could use some trimming and plastic dip on the ends. I like the idea of adjustable rubber feet. (those are golf tees)

Last edited:

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK I have to ask.. You grill on the boat guys..what do you do about the grease spatter? It would drive my nuts...
I've grilled stakes, Hamburger and hot dogs and never had any grease issues. If I did I would just wipe the area down with a towel and a bottle of 409 I keep on the boat.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone just set their grill on the table that comes with the boat when in use? or does it get too hot for the plastic table?

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, before I made my contraption that is what I did and it worked well and does not get hot enough to damage the table. It just took up a lot of table real estate and drove me to a better idea.

The mod worked very well last season was very stable in windy conditions no holes to drill in the boat and easy to stow. I plan to modify the design a bit so it is not so clunky so stay tuned.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice set ups all around. Question - my Coleman grill has an external tank that basically hangs off the side with a hard line such that the weight of the tank is supported by the table you set the grill on. I don't see that on any of these grills. Are the tanks integrated or do you later attach a tank and then somehow secure it so it is not hanging from the line?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I let my propane bottle hang off the side , sometimes I can rest it on part of the bow. It works fine either way. Also never had a problem with it on the table or swim deck. On occasion we will grill directly on the swim deck, for instance when we forget to cook something and I've already cleaned up and stowed the rest of the gear.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1+ Ronnie. It just hangs there in mid air and I never had a problem. Just be sure that it is snug on the port attached to the grill. I put a little anti seize on the threads to help me remove the line.

Russ C

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice set ups all around. Question - my Coleman grill has an external tank that basically hangs off the side with a hard line such that the weight of the tank is supported by the table you set the grill on. I don't see that on any of these grills. Are the tanks integrated or do you later attach a tank and then somehow secure it so it is not hanging from the line?

Here is my bottle hanging off the side