• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best Speakers to replace stock 2016 242 LS speakers?

Seibert74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I use three separate power amplifiers from Polk Audio to power my system. I use (2) Polk PA D2000.2 2-channel amplifiers to power my (4) Polk MM652 speakers, and a Polk PA D1000.1 monblock amplifier to power my Polk MM1242 DVC subwoofer. My Fusion MS-RA70 controls everything and I have it set up as 2 zones. Zone 1 includes my front speakers in the bow, and zone 2 includes my cabin speakers.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No amp. Came with 6 speakers. I just order the MM652s that were suggested here to me. I can fit the 652s in the cockpit and bow with no problem, had an issue with the swim platform. The 652 is too big, so I exchange a pair of 652s for the 552s. I’ll be finishing the install on Friday since I’m out of the country. I did a quick fit to make sure that the 652s would work, they did sound way better than the stock speakers.
Aloha so u r going to run ur MM’s with no amp?

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Aloha so u r going to run ur MM’s with no amp?
I do have an amp. My stock speakers actually sound good enough with that amp, I just wanted the newer speakers because they are supposed to be a bit better.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do have an amp. My stock speakers actually sound good enough with that amp, I just wanted the newer speakers because they are supposed to be a bit better.
Yeah I was going to say cause I have the MM’s and they r great sounding speakers but they do want to have power to them. Great choice I love mines so clean and load.🤙🏽

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Curious - I'm 6'2 - if I went with Tower Speakers - anyone complain about hitting their head on them? That's my concern

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Curious - I'm 6'2 - if I went with Tower Speakers - anyone complain about hitting their head on them? That's my concern
I'm 6'1" and I hit my head on my tower speakers at least once on every trip out. Luckily it's usually just a glancing blow.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks. Anyone have any advice - i just got my Rockford 2652 speakers installed. Replaced stock Polk 651mm. Rockfords are Very good speaker 250$ per pair. However, the fronts and rear speaker start cutting in and out slightly - like on a delay-click (cutting out for a millisecond) once i get the volume to 60-75%. I have the wetsounds amp and 10” sub. Do i have a wiring issue, amp issue or something else. So bummed as i just dropped 1200 for the 6 speakers and installation. Any suggestions?

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks. Anyone have any advice - i just got my Rockford 2652 speakers installed. Replaced stock Polk 651mm. Rockfords are Very good speaker 250$ per pair. However, the fronts and rear speaker start cutting in and out slightly - like on a delay-click (cutting out for a millisecond) once i get the volume to 60-75%. I have the wetsounds amp and 10” sub. Do i have a wiring issue, amp issue or something else. So bummed as i just dropped 1200 for the 6 speakers and installation. Any suggestions?
So - My Wetsounds HTX-6 is showing an error code - 1 long flash followed by a quick flash - meaning front speakers (1&2) are on 'short protect'. Not sure what that means yet - but I'm talking to my audio-boat service guy on that issue. If maybe I'm overpower the system, perhaps another Wetsounds or other amp to power the other speakers? - Anyone have this problem where they got a "short protect' error on a set of speakers?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
is it a bad idea to run the MM652 without an amp?

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
is it a bad idea to run the MM652 without an amp?
I just replaced my original polks, I think they were called the DB651 or something like that. I replaced them with MM652s and let me tell you. It’s a world of difference. I do have an amp, the original speakers were ok, but nothing like it is now, I switched one side of the boat first and played some music, the only way you could tell that the original speakers were working was to put you head about a foot away, other than that, the 652s blow the original polks out of the water.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just replaced my original polks, I think they were called the DB651 or something like that. I replaced them with MM652s and let me tell you. It’s a world of difference. I do have an amp, the original speakers were ok, but nothing like it is now, I switched one side of the boat first and played some music, the only way you could tell that the original speakers were working was to put you head about a foot away, other than that, the 652s blow the original polks out of the water.
What amp do you have

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What amp do you have
Not an expensive one. I took my boat to a car stereo place. They put the amp in for like $400. I believe that it’s called a Memphis marine amp. Having an amp makes a world of difference. My stock speakers were weak, once I put the amp in it became a good system, but now it kicks ass with the new 652s. I would definitely recommend an amp.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not an expensive one. I took my boat to a car stereo place. They put the amp in for like $400. I believe that it’s called a Memphis marine amp. Having an amp makes a world of difference. My stock speakers were weak, once I put the amp in it became a good system, but now it kicks ass with the new 652s. I would definitely recommend an amp.
I agree totally with u, I have the MM’s powered by a JL 1000/5V2 and it rocks. Couldn’t be more happier clean and loud.🤙🏽

cgcaraway

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm getting ready to upgrade my stereo system and I am having the toughest time. My boat is a 2019 AR210 and at 3/4 throttle you cant hear any music. I don't need the best that's out there and don't want to spend a fortune but really needing some advise. I am going to change out the 4 main speakers (not sure what manufacturer) the wife wants LED's so we'll look at them, Going to add tower speakers, maybe a 10" sub and would like to add 2 additional speakers near the cockpit and passenger side. My main concern is can i do this with 1 amp or do I need multiple amps to power these. Can I add the 2 additional speakers to the head unit as the original 4? Any input is appreciated. My boat is dry docked so its not easy for me to go outside and see how the wiring is currently set up.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@cgcaraway You can do this in stages and start with one amp, then as your systems grows you can add a second amp.

I would start with a JL 800/8, it gives you a ton of power in a single amp and is configurable to suit many needs.

You could start with the 4 main speakers, and have enough room to add the towers and sub as well. If/when you decide to add the 2 additional speakers down the road you can either get a small mono amp for the sub or towers depending on which ones you go with and how loud you ultimately want it to be.

I'm a JL guy, but looks like Polk and a few other brands would do the trick and not kill your pocket.

What kind of towers and sub are you looking at...since those will need the most power its good to know what your full plan will be then can make adjustments based on your preference and $$$$.

Rrubbertoe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
No amp. Came with 6 speakers. I just order the MM652s that were suggested here to me. I can fit the 652s in the cockpit and bow with no problem, had an issue with the swim platform. The 652 is too big, so I exchange a pair of 652s for the 552s. I’ll be finishing the install on Friday since I’m out of the country. I did a quick fit to make sure that the 652s would work, they did sound way better than the stock speakers.
I'm thinking of doing the same. So can anybody confirm that swim platform speaker locations can't fit the 652s? I have a 2014 yamaha 212x