• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Big Green Eggheads

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'd help ya, but I am trying to figure out my accessory needs so I can give them a list tomorrow...and I have training too. Ugh.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have plenty of time, take care of the important stuff first! (Off topic, but I am loving that inflatable Gangplank!)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We have plenty of time, take care of the important stuff first! (Off topic, but I am loving that inflatable Gangplank!)
I wish someone had used it and knew about it...I am liking it too! Am I going to need another airhead inflator. I see a dual battery/switch mod coming soon.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Smoking a meatloaf for Fathers Day tomorrow... I'll have to post some pics and details if it comes out ok.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Oh, absolutely let me know how that comes out! That sounds like a good cook!

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Meatloaf.. Hmmmm? Sounds interesting.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/smoked-meatloaf/

Griffin has some pretty awesome recipes, and he's very helpful on the Egghead forums. I tweaked the recipe a little and used 2lbs of 80/20 ground beef, 1lb of sausage (reduced fat since I used 80/20) and added some BBQ sauce to the meat mixture since I didn't have any rub I thought would work well. Mixed it all up this morning and wrapped it in Saran Wrap to get it formed. Plan on putting it on the egg around 2:30 ish...

We always seem to do burgers, chicken, ribs, pulled pork, for family get togethers so I was looking for something a little different that my boys would eat as well. For sides we're having home made crock pot Mac and Cheese, Green beans, and Ranch Style Beans (I didn't plan far enough ahead for Mel's Charro Beans which would have been perfect!)

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think Griffin is a Plano guy or metroplex. I may have it mixed up, but yes, he is on the egghead forum and very helpful. I just went to the link you gave to make sure, and I was so sad to see he has type II diabetes now. What a change of life (and cooking) that is. He puts out some great recipes and ideas. Let us know how it turned out! And if you think your modifications worked.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was egg challenged yesterday... I smoked a brisket earlier this week and noticed I hadn't cleaned the ash out in well over a month. Well since the firebox was still 3/4 full I figured I'd clean her out after this one last cook. I knew better, and apparently had some air flow issues, couldn't get the egg over 325. So ended up on the egg for 30 minutes, then finished in the oven.

Still was very tasty, but didn't have enough time in the egg to get any smoke flavoring... <insert graphic of me kicking myself in the butt>

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey not a bad thing. Still were able to eat it.. Yep I did the same thing to some country style ribs last year. Knew I was messing up cause the flame just didn't look right. Damn spiders. Wasted the meat. Good luck next time.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Probably totally unnecessary, but I scrape out the ash from the ash bin after I use the same tool to move the lump around in the firebox, opening all the passages and letting ash settle below the grate. I vacuum it all out before a low and slow, trying to be proactive to prevent any issues well into a long cook. I have even placed big lump first, and medium on top of that, followed by the smallest pieces. I don't know if it helps, but I haven't had but one time where I ran low on fuel and couldn't get the temp up. But it know it can happen regardless. Glad it turned out well anyway! The wife cooked brats for our day on the boat yesterday...on the gasser!

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I gave up on the stacking lump, it made no difference in temperature or duration. I to stir the lump before I light it, but I bought a bag of Frontier at Lowes, instead of my usual lump. The Frontier had a huge amount of very small pieces, and I think they just jammed up the air flow into the firebox, and holes in the grate. I was lazy and I paid for it...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Don't blame yourself for buying a cheaper lump...I paid for Rockwood and while I have gotten 4 or 5 great bags, I just had one with small stuff and even a rock or two. I have talked to the owner of rock wood and he tells me all charcoal pretty much is made the same way, and when the last bags of a pile are loaded, they are trashy compared to the first bags, as well as being smaller and soot filled. It happens. But the meatloaf, was it good?

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
:) it was good, and it's now all gone!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If someone doesn't "steal" that XL BGE from him for under $1000 brand spanking new and in the box...I am wishing I lived somewhere close to PA. That is a real bargain for any of you that live up that way!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mel, I think it would fit in the overhead compartment.