• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Big Green Eggheads

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is a great deal, I'd rather have a second Large, vs an XL. I just don't cook large enough meals to justify an XL, however, with two large I could do appetizers on one, smoke something on the other, steaks / veggies, pizza / dessert... Two eggs provide a huge amount of flexibility.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I figured it was a long shot if anyone was actually interested in the BGE that I posted, but realized it seemed like a good deal, so I thought I would just let you guys be aware. I figured most posting in this thread already owned one.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's such a good deal I would say it's General Discussion thread worthy... But I wouldn't want it to bug one of our Admins, not that I think it would, one of the beauties of this board!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hmm...I am not sure how to break out the posts following Travis post of this XL egg, from the BGE thread itself. I can move the BGE thread but that would take it out of cooking section. Not sure we want to do that. I would do it if I had an idea how to do it. @Julian ? They are talking about taking a dozen posts within a thread and creating another separate thread in the general discussion section. Two things, it isn't boat related, and it isn't already a separate thread...can it be done?

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What about someone just starting a new thread with the link in the new thread?

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@txav8r Mel, I meant as a new thread... Not pulling it out, just wasn't sure since it's not really a general forum topic, but it's a heck of a deal that might get more visibility in the general discussion forum.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Agreed it would improve views and would get a JB member a great deal. @farrelltravis , if you link it, they will get a link to the entire BGE thread I think.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I could post the link to the BGE that is for sale, not the link to this thread, in the post up bargains thread????

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just thought I would share..

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Joseph! Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the Scarab, I'm loving them!

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I've been cooking with the Big Green Egg for over eight years and love it some much that I have TWO; a large and a small. The large does a vast majority of the cooking including every holiday turkey or this weekends brisket flat. The small is usually for different flavors of lump and smoke. I usually do sausages or wings on it and ribs, pulled pork or brisket on the large.

Tonight's brisket will cook for about 18-20 hours overnight. I use a BBQ Guru DX2 fan control and monitor to keep the fire in line thru the night. It also helps when the afternoon wind kick up.

What's on your grill this weekend?

image.jpg image.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You guys are killing me! Been running and haven't egged. I need to!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am changing my MAPP gas torch canister for the first time since buying it. When I screw in the new canister, it keeps venting out the vent and doesn't stop...any tips? I removed the canister from the torch head for now but like using the torch to light my lump, what gives?

Ok, I am doing a shank ham that is already hickory smoked using @Bruce Bimini cook as an as a cooking plan. I want to cook as low and slow as I can get the egg to go, probably 200F and go as long as I can, maybe 18 hours on a load of lump. I can always add and keep going. Bruce leaves his sit warm for a couple days in FTC or equivalent, then refrigerates it. I am going to take it to Maui with me, so I may refrigerate to do so and considering freezing it so I don't have to ice it or fool with it for a couple of days really. Any other suggestions?

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Fill the lump up the bottom of the fire ring. You should get about 20 hours in a large egg, maybe longer if you can really control the air flow and keep it from go over your target temp. It also help to stir the lump around on occasion. Adding lump is just not practical when a fire is underway. You loose all of your dome temp!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have an AR rig, so adding lump wouldn't be the issue using the platesetter is. Stirring the lump? Won't that spread the fire in the lump more and create more heat than you want?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
But if I can get 20 hours without it I will be good I think.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
AR Rig?

I find that on the long cooks that if I don't stir a bit, I get uneven burning due to settling and will have unused fuel. This is not as big a problem if you build the lump pile with the larger at the grate and the smaller on the top layers mixed with medium lump and your smoking wood. This method lets the air flow from the bottom grate and side holes in the fire pit better.

I guess I live by the adage "if you're looking', it aint cooking'". I try to leave the lid as closed as possible on my cooks. When I leave the dome up for any length of time mid cook, I find the fire tends to flare from the added oxygen and you over shoot your temps. Not as big of a problem if you are cooking at 350 versus 200. It's really hard to get all of that ceramic cooled down once it it too hot. Plus, then you are using up precious fuel.