• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

My kids have asked if there are any other children making the trip?

We will be bringing Emma who will be 8 by then and Gavin who will be almost 6.

My kids are even more excited now that they know other kids will be making the trip.

We will hopefully be bringing our seven year old daughter. As long as things go right before then we are currently boatless besides our deck boat. Hoping to buy a 2015 before then other than that maybe going on the jetski just me and the wife unless someone wants to haul a seven year in old for some gas money lol. Hopefully we have a new boat by then though.

Does anyone have an opinion re Sea Tow or Boat US, for towing insurance?

Believe their about the same. Just depends what area you live in and what's available there. Last year I had use boat us. Great experience with them. They showed up when with in 15 minutes of placing the call..

We're 87% certain we'll be there. Myself, my wife Laura, Daughters Katie - 17 and Lindsey 10.

Does anyone have an opinion re Sea Tow or Boat US, for towing insurance?
You should have a towing policy for sure. It's cheap insurance especially on the crossing. I would call SeaTow and boat us to get the specifics on towing cost from Bimini or in the Atlantic.

Wish we lived closer

Speaking of insurance policies, has/does anyone bring a firearm with them? The wife has expressed some concern and would like to bring one of our pistols along in case we decide to venture off for a day by ourselves. I have read the requirements and I am not sure if it is a good idea. I have looked into mounting a small, mountable safe in the boat for security and it would not be hard to install. Just wanted to know if anyone has brought on before or deem it necessary. Do not want to bring it along for no reason.

Speaking of insurance policies, has/does anyone bring a firearm with them? The wife has expressed some concern and would like to bring one of our pistols along in case we decide to venture off for a day by ourselves. I have read the requirements and I am not sure if it is a good idea. I have looked into mounting a small, mountable safe in the boat for security and it would not be hard to install. Just wanted to know if anyone has brought on before or deem it necessary. Do not want to bring it along for no reason.
Some people have brought guns in the past hopefully they will chime in and give advice. In 3 trips there I have never felt a situation where I thought a gun was necessary but that is just me.

@Justin G., like Andy I did not feel there was any situation where a firearm was needed. You can not bring it on land. But you can lock it in your boat. You will need to provide the make, model, serial number and exact type and count of ammo on your customs paperwork and it will be notated on your cruising permit when you clear customs. You can bring a pistol or shotgun, you can not bring a rifle. People do it all the time and there is no extra hassle. I would consider the possible salt water exposure when thinking about what to bring.

Last edited:
I was looking through our customs paperwork and realized that the fishing regulations are on the fishing permit.

BahamasFishingPermit.png BahamasFishingPermit2.png

The salt exposure definitely crossed my mind. I would hate to ruin one of my nice pistols. I think the misses has watched too many pirates of the caribbean movies!! I am going to concentrate on the fishing gear which sounds like more fun. Been doing some research on the fishy types and it sounds like fun throwing a line in the water.

My thought if I ever needed a weapon onboard my boat I would use my flare gun. It is only a single shot and I only carry 5 flares but it would do some damage if it hit someone or their boat.

I wish I could convince my wife to go, i would be in if so...

Same deal as previous replies: My first year it was a concern, I researched it, didn't carry and now in hindsight i see no need. That said I will PM you all the links I saved on it. The key law as I understand it is once there is HAS TO BE locked in a container and secured on board at all times....defeats the purpose of carrying....as for the crossing, you just need to be faster than one or two other boats !:winkingthumbsup":winkingthumbsup"

My thought if I ever needed a weapon onboard my boat I would use my flare gun. It is only a single shot and I only carry 5 flares but it would do some damage if it hit someone or their boat.

that'd do it, Hell I've been hit with a BB gun and that'd makes you take pause and regroup........hit 'em in the elbow and you have a weapon !!

Back