• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

@jasoraso , I looked at Apple Store. Google Voice has 2 stars...not updated since 2014. Hangouts is newer. What's the difference?

Google has basically switched everything over to the hangouts app, at least on Android. On Android, the Google voice app is used to program the phone to use Google voice for voicemail, which includes text transcription of voicemail. The hangouts app is used for texting (using the Gooogle number over data/wifi). This allows you to text in international territories over wifi without incurring charges - but the texts will be sent and received over the Google voice number.

The hangouts app now includes a VOIP dialer, to make calls using the google voice number (this functionality used to be in the Google voice app). On Android, there is also a hangouts dialer app the goes directly to the dialer (this can be used to replace the regular Android dialer app if desired, thus all calls could be made over VoIP, but would be on the Google voice number.) I'm not exactly sure if the same exists in the ios ecosystem.

On Android, i only use the Google voice app when setting up my phone - I tell it to use Google voice for my voicemail, and that when I want to make an international call, to use Google voice. (On Verizon, there are some manual steps to take to get voicemail working properly, too). Then I use hangouts to text, or do video calls to other hangouts users (like Skype or facetime). Hangouts does a great job with group video calls. I use the hangouts dialer if I want to make a VoIP call (although the hangouts app has a dialer button as well). Best thing to do is use a computer and go to voice.Google.com and click on the left side to pick a Google voice number, then install the apps on your phone and play around with it.

If you really like it, Google allows you to port your cell number to be your Google voice number! There are also some really great call forwarding features available. These can be accessed using a desktop browser in the settings)

Hope I didn't derail the great Bimini thread, I just come here because it is awesome to follow your trip! But Google voice can be a great tool for traveling internationally, so I figured it might be worth a little detour :)

Last edited:
Last practice run with grill before packing everything up for Bimini.

aIMG_0701.jpg

Dang...why not put an oven in there...does that pack up tight?....nice looking

Dang...why not put an oven in there...does that pack up tight?....nice looking

That's what I love about this forum; somebody always has a better suggestion, like nice grill, where's the oven? :)

The red cloeman stove folds up and packs in below the drawer that you see. The front lid closes and has a handle on the side so its fully self contained. We use it camping too. It's about the same size as the Magma rectangular grill, and it fits comfortably in the helm storage closet. With a few propane bottles, pots, pans, utensils and spices, the whole thing is somewhat heavy, but probably not more than 25 lbs.

Our dates have been selected!

This thread has been updated for the Bimini 2015 trip. It is important to notify me of your commitment to participate so that I can keep an accurate headcount. Please provide a contact cellular phone number, number of people on your boat, boat model/make. This personal information will only be shared by the few organizers of the event.

The dates have been changed to July to allow for a 15% discount/group rate that @Bruce arranged for our group at Bimini Sands. We need 15 rooms/condos for the group rate.

DATES
Captain's Meeting - 6PM July 5th at the BahiaMar pool. See this post https://jetboaters.net/posts/109946/
Departure for Bimini - 6am July 6th from the BahiaMar.
Departure for Ft. Lauderdale - 6am July 11th.

BAHIA MAR HOTEL IN FT. LAUDERDALE
Make your reservation for the BahiaMar hotel at 1-954-764-2233. Sorry, group rate policy was too strict make a group reservation at this hotel.

Make your reservation for your slip at the BahiaMar by calling or filling out the below form. There IS a group rate for the slips at $1.25/ft, no minimum. Their phone number is 954.627.6309. They are located at the BahiaMar hotel, but are a separate business. The group name is "Jet Boaters."

BIMINI SANDS CONDOS
The group name here is also "Jet Boaters." Make your reservation at the Bimini Sands by filling out the attached form and/or contacting them at 242.347.3500 (international call). If you are requesting a specific room, please call 242.347.3500. For general reservations you can call their toll free number at 800.737.1007. If you are emailing your reservation, please email the form to jonisha@southbiminisands.com or lavon@southbiminisands.com. Below you will find their discounted rates and their reservation form. The discount applies to your slip as well.

CUSTOMS
Please remember to fill out the customs form (also attached). We also hope to have the immigration forms available at the captain's meeting. The custom's form needs to be completed by the master of the vessel. This form should be downloaded and filled out prior to departure. Each person/family needs to fill out the immigration form but cannot be downloaded. More info on customs/immigration can be found at Bahamas.com/boating or http://www.bahamas.com/boating-enter-exit

PIGROAST
Last year we had a fabulous potluck/pigroast at honeymoon harbor. Everyone backed their boat up to the beach and put their spread on the swim decks. It was an awesome time and even included a couple of engagements!

@Bruce has already volunteered to supply the razorback ham!

Throw in with your menu, I'm already getting hungry!

https://jetboaters.net/threads/bimini-2015-potluck-pigroast.4412/

T-SHIRTS
Last year @andy07sx230ho put together some awesome t-shirts!

More info here
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2015-bimini-shirts.4413/

BIMINI INFO
Lots of helpful info about preparation and the destination is posted in the thread Preparing For Bimini https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/

THANKS
Thanks to @Bruce, @andy07sx230ho , and @justason for their help organizing all of this for our group!

CONFIRMED PARTICIPANTS
@upperdeck Unit 12A, from Milwaukee WI, 212X, 4 adults, 4 kids
@andy07sx230ho, 7Q, from Chapin, SC, SX230, 4 adults
@Bruce, 21M, from Royal AR, SX230, 2 adults, 8 year old daughter, 5 year old son
@tim h 4Q, big ass boat, FL, 2 adults, 2 kids
@veedubtek and @DieselCamel, 1A, Winston Salem, NC, 4 adults
@chris24, 15B, from Tampa FL, 212SS, two people, maybe more.
@kthrash 8E and 8F, from Madison MS, 212X, 4 adults, 4 kids
@robert843, 7B, From Myrtle Beach, SC info to follow
@Justin G., 3D, From Hinckley, IL, 4 adults, 1 child
@waterboy 15J, from Holly Springs, NC, 2 adults
@zedxmike, 12B, from Orlando, FL, 2 adults
@1948Isaac from Cape Coral, FL
@BigJay17 from Orlano, Fl, 2 adults, 3 kids
@Tony Sweasy, Enterprise, AL, 3 adults
@Kristen, info to come
@DiverB, Harrison TWP, Michigan, 1 adult
@ArmyChief, 21R, AR192, North Port, FL, 1 couples, 1 teens
@David Hoff, 16B & 16C, AR210, Atlanta, GA, 2 adults, 2 kids
@Ramblin Wreck, 4K, Ski, Atlanta, GA, 2 adults, 1 child.
@MrMoose, 10F, AR240, Spring, TX, 3 persons
@JROD , 12C, two adults, one ski

PICTURES FROM BIMINI 2014
@waterboy's pictures are in the gallery at https://jetboaters.net/media/albums/bimini-2014.134/
@Bruce and @Tylers pictures are in the gallery at https://jetboaters.net/media/albums/bimini-2014.120/

#Bimini2015

We have a Preparing For Bimini thread with useful information at https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/ (Added by Bruce)
Team & jet ski brothers no intent to quote obvious, but extended salt water splashes on the face and eyes for anyone without a good set of goggles will make the crossing a lot more miserable that it should be. Sun glasses won't do it! Also, best to have some type of floating head band on your glasses when you do wear them so U don't end like me donating several pairs to the fish back in my rookie days. ;-)

Team & jet ski brothers no intent to quote obvious, but extended salt water splashes on the face and eyes for anyone without a good set of goggles will make the crossing a lot more miserable that it should be. Sun glasses won't do it! Also, best to have some type of floating head band on your glasses when you do wear them so U don't end like me donating several pairs to the fish back in my rookie days. ;-)
Any recommedations on googles? Edit how about goggles.

I believe the group that we traveled with last year also had some type of facial cover/scarf over there nose/mouth.

I carry 2 sets, prefer dark blue lenses, Gander Mountain & Bass Pro shop have them. Another trick that works for me is to clean them with Rain X often.

I believe the group that we traveled with last year also had some type of facial cover/scarf over there nose/mouth.
Bass Pro shop carries some grim reaper face shields and also combination sports helmets etc. I tried face shield last year but could not get used to it, got too hot and the spray coming under my chin into my eyes was messing up my visibility, but it provided great wind and sun protection.

Any set of snow skiing googles will work well. The biggest key is to make sure what ever you get is vented in some way like those products or the will fog up. Here is the type of mask the that @JROD is talking about they would offer great wind and sun protection but I could see where it would feel a little awkward

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 5
I usually just wear sunglasses but I wind up taking them off half the time but from 25 years of surfing my eyes are no where near as sensitive to those conditions as most would be.

forecast has changed to 2'-3' swells..

Assuming it stays at 2' to 3', what kind of speeds do you think we'll run based on your past experience?
Biggest factor in this is period between swells if its 6-9 seconds we can run pretty good if its 2 seconds or less it will be a bumpy ride.

Passageweather.com has been showing those conditions all along...

Passageweather.com is what I use as well and what I have been keeping my eye on is the 3-6ft forecast just south of where we will be and hoping it doesnt move north a little.

Attachments

• weather.png
    weather.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 7
Back