• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

The tow boat guy told me the water was fine an hour before we left but the wind picked up around 6:45am and caused the waves we experienced.

glad to hear the only injury was the shoulder, that could have been much worse, I drifted in the gulf broke down in a 19ft center console in 3-4ft seas with a sea anchor, I can't imagine it with kids on board,

@kthrash would love to hear a full debrief of the event after you decompress to learn from, especially after you ultimate sub move when the engines quit, was it because water was seeping through the engine hatch or water behind the helm that caused the shutdown?

@Bruce did the trim tabs help ?

Not being there to see what happened but being many years in seas, running vaious boats etc. and seeing how the Yamahas handle chop and surf it always comes to Captain experience and unfortunately error, not the vessel. Knowing the bow rides low on these boats and easily takes water over etc. you should have throttled way back, running at a point the boat is climbing to plane holding the bow high and hold it there. I have seen boats stuff bows and 99.9% of the time it is because they are running too fast and hard for the conditions, this is along the same mentality of those who speed up when it starts to rain... not laying blame so dont take it that way. You guys are safe so it was a successful failure and something to learn from. What they experienced today is one reason I am making a few key mods to my boat in forward camper canvas and bow cover. After this weekend and the huge rains we had and seeing just how much water made it to the bilge from rain on my 212x I have lots of work ahead of me to make it seaworthy that I will feel confident in. I am glad to hear those the pushed on made it safe and that those who had to turn back are equally as safe. I would say this, let this be a lesson but do not let it deter you from an amazing adventure. I hope this experience does not sour those families and members that had issues from trying it again in the future.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble today. Luckily you all made it to safety and hope that it will remain nothing more than a story you can tell your descendants.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry to hear this.

I have been trying to look at the apps and at passageweather.com but can't find anything that mentions the type of waves you guys were mentioning.
guess not too reliable huh.

Talking to dock neighbors in Bimini they say the wind kicked up to 25 mph blowing toward Florida this morning. They believe the water was up to 4 to 6 feet.

Talking to dock neighbors in Bimini they say the wind kicked up to 25 mph blowing toward Florida this morning. They believe the water was up to 4 to 6 feet.

@Bruce Hi , hows the weather looking over there this afternoon??? I be oveythere wensday... hope everyone is OK

The weather is great here. The water is even more beautiful than last year.

@Bruce that's the reports I saw earlier, but none of the smartphone apps or other websites showed it. I was trying to hunt down one that did to see which was the most reliable for future crossings.
If anyone knows a reliable weather service that could have given some type of advance warning please share.

Sometimes you just have to go out the inlet and call an audible.

How many of the crossers were first timers offshore?

I will thank the Lord for everyones safety tonight, same as we asked last night that everyone would be watched while on their way.

Sorry to hear about the swamped boats, happy to hear everyone is safe and dry now. Hope you can kick back have a drink with your BIL, wipe your brow and just breathe a sigh of relief.

WOW! I'm really happy everyone it is ok! What a way to start a trip.

I'm the AR192...sucked fuel like a dehydrated sailor. Other than getting banged by the 3-5 footers....and adding 25 gallons (+ 30 in tank)...made it fine. Calm seas....I'd say 15 extra would work. I'd plan on taking 30 extra if you own one of these well appointed gas guzzlers !

Beautiful here and ALL the jetboaters stuck together!...GREAT GROUP

People over at THT are using this morning's unfortunate events to...surprise, surprise....rip on jetboats!

Example:
"I would imagine it is pretty easy to stuff the bow on a "boat" that looks like an upside down shovel.

Glad they are all OK."

Ignorance always makes itself known.

@ArmyChief Nice to see you made thru ok. Were the waves a problem at any point? (going to take mine out on the bay this weekend)
Was also wondering if the ppl that took on water had the weight moved to the rear (as this would help in keeping the bow higher), or if there is something they can share so someone else can also learn from this.

I wouldn't worry about that one guy. I didn't take it that they were ripping on Jetboats. The last post said that they are very capable and the rest were asking questions.

So was there a super early group that didn't have the problems of the bigger waves that the later group got into? I saw the early morning pics that you posted this morning and it was well before 6:45am, even for your time zone.

People over at THT are using this morning's unfortunate events to...surprise, surprise....rip on jetboats!

Example:
"I would imagine it is pretty easy to stuff the bow on a "boat" that looks like an upside down shovel.

Glad they are all OK."

Ignorance always makes itself known.

Already had a run in with Capt Ron and his exquisuit skills driving the Saratoga.... I can't keep my mouth shut and when I see people talking out their ass I had to jump in and say my 2 cents worth. By the looks of the pictures it does not look like anything I myself would not have gone out in. May not have been going very fast but it would have gotten done.

Last edited:
Back