• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

We looked at the forecasts but Monday's inaccurate wave forecast was better than the rest of the week. There was a storm in the middle today that would have been worse than what we experienced yesterday.

The water was rough and the sea weed was heavy. The worst was right at Port Everglades. The further we went the better the water was.

I also believe there is a lot to be learned from this experience. We all learned a lot about handling our boats in rough water.

Last year bow loading the boats helped to smooth the bumps of the 1' to 2' waves. That is what we expected from the 1.7' forecast for Monday. When we exited Port Everglades we found much bigger water than we had expected. We moved our ice chests back from the bow before setting out the second time. We made it out further than most on the first attempt and did not get any water in our boat that time. On the second attempt we took small amounts of water over the bow three times. It was enough water to feel it on our toes as it drained out the scupper but never amounted to more than a few inches.

Thanks for the quick reply. I hope you all have a fantastic week! Hopefully we can join you next year.

@David Hoff are you sure you sucked in seaweed? It sounds like you might have had your plugs blow out or maybe they werent seated properly? That would explain why you had so much water in your bilge.

I think where the majority of the water that made it to the bilge was the hatches etc. They are guttered to the rear deck drain but the are not sealed to keep water out that well. My ski locker has a foam gasket all around it but the fuel lid has large gaps in it, more like the gasket is there to stop rattles etc. This is one of the items on my list for just every day use and that is to get new foam rubber type material and make a new gasket to seal the lids off tighter than the factory did. We had several inches of rain and with my boat in the water I was pumping out gallons of rain water from the bilge so I plan to get that cut down big time. Another item I have noticed is that all above water hull penetrations were never bedded from the factory, they are simply just bolted on and no caulking was used. I will be pulling hand rails, cleats etc. and bedding them properly to aid in sealing things up and eliminating any excess squeaks etc. When I get my camper canvas made I want it primarily for rain but it will be made that it can be easily set up and taken down but I am thinking for a crossing in the future to have a bow cover on jut to help decrease any water from entering the cockpit etc. These are just ideas and thoughts from what I have observed and what has happened. Every little bit helps to make things better I think.

First one to post video of crossing grts a winner vote!

I don't know about them, but I would be busy enjoying instead of being online posting vids.
Having said that... yes, please post something when you take a break from all the exhausting fun.

It would be pretty impossible to upload a vid there. Our internet speed was really slow in our condo last year. At times it was unusable. But you're pretty much right, I bet they are not sitting around their condos on the internet. :)

You are correct..... @Bruce is on his boat 1 mile from the condo using his macgyver antenna!

I just hope his rig works as planned. That will make a huge difference for me going next year. This is one of the down sides to being self employed is that there is no one to cover for you when you are gone...

But this is the internets! People are hungry for videos showing other people in trouble.....

</sarcasm>

I am just catching up and seeing all of this! I am glad everyone is okay and safe at this point. A lot of you made sacrifices to help each other out and that was the best part of this group trip.

Be safe on the way back

I just got into Ft Lauderdale... planning to cross tomorrow morning at sun up. If anyone else is doing the same please call me and we can ride over together.

David
407-720-2937

@RobA Hated to see y'all didn't go this yr. I was looking forward to another video like last yr. When researching which Yamaha I was gonna get, I'm came across this group thanks to your video from last yr on YouTube. I'm probably been the last 500 views of them. Great job.

I just got into Ft Lauderdale... planning to cross tomorrow morning at sun up. If anyone else is doing the same please call me and we can ride over together.

David
407-720-2937

@wreckrman2. I be crossing tomorrow as well, i be leaving around 7 am...

@RobA Hated to see y'all didn't go this yr. I was looking forward to another video like last yr. When researching which Yamaha I was gonna get, I'm came across this group thanks to your video from last yr on YouTube. I'm probably been the last 500 views of them. Great job.

Thats awesome! Thanks for the praise my friend. As you saw, we got engaged last year so naturally a wedding has to occur after :) Hopefully we can go next year...

On a side note my boating friends tend to find the video taping annoying. I've found that people dont really like being video taped, well my friends at least. But a trip like Bimini definitely needs to be documented, every time!

A bit jealous of your boat, I heavily considered trading mine in for a 2015. But like everything else, saving for a house and having a wedding comes first. Haha

If you guys need to get your bow up tomorrow, just have a few folks ride in the swim platform lounge area!

I kid I kid! :)

I have the deluxe mooring cover that I use on the regular. But, I also have a snap on bow cover that I keep in my boat at all times, with the anti pooling pole. I keep it there in case the weather kicks up unexpectedly. I have on many occasions, had the wife position the boat while I snap on the cover. I realize that if you absolutely stuff the bow, it may not help much, but it does deflect a very large amount of water out of the boat. I see this as a necessity while being out in weather with our low bow boats. Especially for those that have not yet mastered keeping the bow high, and regulating speed coming off waves. Food for thought...

Thank you for sharing so that we can all learn from what was done right, AND, what was done wrong.

Happy to hear that everyone is safe! Hats off to you all for having the chops to take on a crossing like this. You all stuck together as a team, and kept everyone safe even when things went really wrong. Impressive group of people!

Back