• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

Wow... that was nothing like what we had on Wednesday! My kids both got sick and these are two kids that have never gotten sea sick.

I couldn't even get onto plane and run more than 14kn for more than 2 miles without getting beat to death.

@wreckrman2 ,

It might not look like much...but many of us..maybe the smaller boats...could not stay on plane either. Felt like we were going to snap the hull in half sometimes. I think I averaged 14-17 MPH. It's why I burned so much fuel.

However, I can buy fuel...I can't by my marriage back if I did not slow down :)

Yes it's burns fuel big time... I burned 1/2 tank running 18 miles out and back. On a smooth day I can run to Bimini AND back on 3/4 tank. Thankfully after reading these comments on Monday I did take an extra 10 gallons.

At least you guys made it there... I'm jealous as hell not to be there but as you say the wife and kids matter more. When the wife started crying it was time to make the decision to turn back. There is always another day to try it again...

Did anyone suffer any glass stress cracking from all that? I had some vertical stress show up on the port side after a wave filled day at sea. Vertically at about the area where port side captains chair back would be and right in the freeboard. On my 2015 AR240.

When the wife started crying it was time to make the decision to turn back.
I think my wife and kids, if they were with us, would have reacted the same way. We've been in scary conditions on big lakes, but it's not where there's a possibility of loosing sight of land like out in the ocean. You made the right decision.

I can't speak for anyone else.....but I have not noticed any. Have not heard any chatter about any. One of the boats had a speaker or two quit working. One had a bilge pump fail.

@MrMoose I see you had a PWC in the background running with you......How did they feel about the trip? we are crossing on PWCs friday morning.....

@MrMoose I see you had a PWC in the background running with you......How did they feel about the trip? we are crossing on PWCs friday morning.....

@Valerie two of the skis you see in the background are mine. The crossing was rough and the conditions for Friday are looking similar to what we had coming over. We probably could have ran in the 20 mph range during the crossing on them but we stayed with the group. I would make sure you have extra fuel for the skis just case. My Kawasaki has the largest tank in a jet ski at over 20 gallons and we had to throw an extra 2.5 gallons in it on the crossing and it still made it on fumes. Once we got about 15 miles from Bimini we kind of left the group we were with and ran about 35 mph in about 2ft seas. Just make sure who ever is on the skis is in good shape and has ocean experience and you should be ok but with the wind forecast for Friday they should be prepared to take a beating. Be safe and see you guys Friday!

@MrMoose Thank you for sharing those.
The 2nd attempt did seem slightly calmer seas.
That must be amazing to snorkel around thee with all the wrecks. We usually spend 1 week a year in Anguilla (by St. Marteen) or in Aruba, so we snorkel a bit, but it much better when you have a boat at your disposal to go everywhere at your own timeline.

What camera is everyone using for the vids? (I assume it's mostly Go pro) I have been looking to get the new Sony, and was looking for feedback if anyone has it. TY

What are y'all doing to minimize salt (damage?) corrosion/effects while you're all in salt water 24/7. Can Anything even be done?

They have electric and fresh water at each dock. I've been rinsing and towel drying my boat daily.

So can you flush your motors leaving them with fresh water inside? Is it possible to...I dont know... pressurize clean water inside to alleviate any salt from just sitting inside over night? I'd like to do this trip maybe next year. Maybe i've just been scared off by all the talk about saltwater ruining jet boats. After all, it is a boat, and boats are made for Salt and fresh...right?

Last edited:
My boat was rinsed for the first time by the ran showers that came through last night. I don't bother with the daily washdowns. I do spend a lot of time cleaning everything up on our return however.

What are y'all doing to minimize salt (damage?) corrosion/effects while you're all in salt water 24/7. Can Anything even be done?

Being in Salt water won't do anything to the boats when the boats are being used daily. Saltwater damage occurs when you stop using the boat and don't rinse out the saltwater.

In my opinion, there is no need to flush the motors with fresh water while they sit in the ocean. The salt damage comes when the saltwater evaporates and leaves the salt behind (which isn't going to happen while it is sitting in the water overnight). I could only see that if the boat was going to sit in saltwater for a week without being used or something like that (which I would not recommend anyways). Use it, or take it out.

My boat is a 2005 and used exclusively in salt water. On multiple occasions, it has spent up to a week in the water. It has no "damage"

I always get amused at the notion that boats will immediately get ruined when you put them in salt water.

Last edited:
Back