• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The reality is that the skis can not carry enough fuel to get there on their own.

Of course, this statement may compel them to prove me wrong.
In good conditions many skis could do this with out refueling at sea if there is gas in Chub. Last year some people I know went and the ski that was with them made it from bimini to chub on one tank. 10 gallons on the back of a ski would be plenty of safety net but if chub has no fuel you would likely be stuck. If you had the full 10 gallon reserve still on hand when arriving to chub you could likely make it to Nassau on that if the conditions were good. In bad seas you could not. If Tim went with skis it would be more likely he was asked to carry food. I want to do this trip but I'm less likely to do it on a ski since the bimini crossing I would much rather do it in a boat it would just be way easier that way but I would miss the ski the whole time there.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JROD How long did it take to do the trip from NC to FL?

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
In good conditions many skis could do this with out refueling at sea if there is gas in Chub. Last year some people I know went and the ski that was with them made it from bimini to chub on one tank. 10 gallons on the back of a ski would be plenty of safety net but if chub has no fuel you would likely be stuck. If you had the full 10 gallon reserve still on hand when arriving to chub you could likely make it to Nassau on that if the conditions were good. In bad seas you could not. If Tim went with skis it would be more likely he was asked to carry food. I want to do this trip but I'm less likely to do it on a ski since the bimini crossing I would much rather do it in a boat it would just be way easier that way but I would miss the ski the whole time there.
@robert843, agree! Don't know if can do without ski that long! ;-) It would be great to be able to alternate with some one between boat and ski, best of both worlds kind of deal. Anyone up for that? ;-)

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
@JROD How long did it take to do the trip from NC to FL?
@ACrews, we did a lot of sight seeing along the way and it took us 7 days. The plan was to ride only 150-200 miles a day but we learned quickly and the hard way that afternoon thunderstorm in June come at you fast and are no joke!! Even more so in FLA. So we change plans and started out earlier in AM so we could set up camp or be in some marina roachtel by 2-3PM.
OBTW the camping only lasted until the second day when we pulled up on some uninhabited island, swamps close to Thunderbolt GA, and my girlfriend/1st wife saw the real long lizards AKA gators scared off by skis vacated the island. I try to convince her they were just floating logs but she was not buying it! ;-) I got tap on the head a lot on that trip and was very close to stopping near a Walmart and buying a helmet. ;-) I am thinking about doing the trip in reverse next year, MIA-NC, upon return from Bimini/Exumas trip? We'll see how it develops?

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@ACrews, we did a lot of sight seeing along the way and it took us 7 days. The plan was to ride only 150-200 miles a day but we learned quickly and the hard way that afternoon thunderstorm in June come at you fast and are no joke!! Even more so in FLA. So we change plans and started out earlier in AM so we could set up camp or be in some marina roachtel by 2-3PM.
OBTW the camping only lasted until the second day when we pulled up on some uninhabited island, swamps close to Thunderbolt GA, and my girlfriend/1st wife saw the real long lizards AKA gators scared off by skis vacated the island. I try to convince her they were just floating logs but she was not buying it! ;-) I got tap on the head a lot on that trip and was very close to stopping near a Walmart and buying a helmet. ;-) I am thinking about doing the trip in reverse next year, MIA-NC, upon return from Bimini/Exumas trip? We'll see how it develops?
As of right now we are definitely doing the Bimini trip next year. We've been trying our best to get in on some kind of trip before everyone starts hibernating for the winter. Not sure if we'd have the time to do a trip like that after Bimini, but we could possibly make time for something like that, or at least a portion of it. We live just outside of Brunswick, GA so we'd easily be in your path. Would love to hear the details & logistics of the trip sometime. @JROD

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What I love about @JROD is he would be willing to take his ski to Brazil if asked :). @robert843 is right on with fuel. As long as water is decent and Chub has fuel, it wouldn't be an issue. Running from FL to Bimini to Chub in one day would be a handful, but that seems to be what most do. Then it's a couple 45 hauls separated by a drop by in Nassau. We could be in the Exumas in 2 days pending weather. If there were enough people interested I would be 100% committed to this trip. I would either fly Brittany and Josie down or would certainly be willing to pay good money to let them ride.

I thought Bimini would check mark an item off my bucket list, but instead it's expanded it. Maybe we can learn how to fly a drone before next summer. It would make a great video to have a dozen or so boats and skis running across the open ocean heading deep into the Bahamas.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
What I love about @JROD is he would be willing to take his ski to Brazil if asked :). @robert843 is right on with fuel. As long as water is decent and Chub has fuel, it wouldn't be an issue. Running from FL to Bimini to Chub in one day would be a handful, but that seems to be what most do. Then it's a couple 45 hauls separated by a drop by in Nassau. We could be in the Exumas in 2 days pending weather. If there were enough people interested I would be 100% committed to this trip. I would either fly Brittany and Josie down or would certainly be willing to pay good money to let them ride.

I thought Bimini would check mark an item off my bucket list, but instead it's expanded it. Maybe we can learn how to fly a drone before next summer. It would make a great video to have a dozen or so boats and skis running across the open ocean heading deep into the Bahamas.
@Ramblin Wreck
Your family is welcome to hop on with me.. They are great passengers !
:)

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck
Your family is welcome to hop on with me.. They are great passengers !
:)
Thank you @tim h as I know they would love to take you up on that. As I mentioned before, the door & steps amazed Josie. She loved setting up high and being able to see all the other boats.

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
As of right now we are definitely doing the Bimini trip next year. We've been trying our best to get in on some kind of trip before everyone starts hibernating for the winter. Not sure if we'd have the time to do a trip like that after Bimini, but we could possibly make time for something like that, or at least a portion of it. We live just outside of Brunswick, GA so we'd easily be in your path. Would love to hear the details & logistics of the trip sometime. @JROD
@ACrews, just let me know, I am game for jet ski ride anytime, anywhere! ;-) Winter included, that's why they made wet & dry suits! ;-)

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC

@Ramblin Wreck, thanks BIG! U must be psychic! ;-) I been checking out Parrot drone too! That is the thing about bucket list, at least for me, I need and had to get an expandable bucket! Believe U me, I have thought a lot about how awesome it would be to ride the Amazon river, only 4K miles, but that pesky gas challenge raises it's ugly head? Maybe Tim's boat? ;-) Got a bunch of trips riding around in my head almost too many to fit in the proverbial "bucket". One mother of all jet ski rides I will do for sure is America's great loop up east coast to Hudson river, Erie canal to great lakes, Canada, down Mississippi to New Orleans, to FLA, to Ft. Myers & across Okeechobee canal 5 locks back home to NC. I done trip across FLA already both-ways, east-west & back down to Miami. My friends we only get to do this great dance of life once, so Juan is going to shake his chicken body and do the Conga!! ;-) Must live full & die empty!

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@JROD I always get a good laugh reading your posts. How long would the great loop take? Any website give further info on it (ie. map, detailed routes, etc)?

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@JROD I always get a good laugh reading your posts. How long would the great loop take? Any website give further info on it (ie. map, detailed routes, etc)?
The loop is on my bucket list too, but I don't think I'll do it on a ski... Most folks do it after they retire (that'll be me) and completing the loop in 6 months is making pretty good time. There are several Web sites dedicated to it just Google the great loop.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Great loop can take 6 months or a year. Lots of people do it and tons of info.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
6 months to year, yeah that's probably out of the picture for the foreseeable future.

These retired folks, aka @JROD , are killing me with these great ideas. ;)

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
@Ramblin Wreck , Tons of INFO out there on "Great American Loop". They even have "Loopers" groups out there most complete loop on boats. There are many possible routes anywhere from Aprox 6K-8K miles. Larry Harcum, completed America's Great Loop in a Jet Ski. He traveled 5,805 miles in 87 days. He has a book about it called "Dreamrider: Adventures On America's Great Loop" Another semi adventurous guy going around the world right now with 4 jet skis, film crew, and support boat is Steven Moll who created the TV progran Dangerous Waters. So U see sport fans, I am not the only "mentally imbalanced" jet ski jockey out there! ;-)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 , if you end up coming Friday, we can also do Thursday and Friday in Bimini and take off to chub chub cay early Saturday.... for me also depends on weather, I don't wanna expend $$$$$ , and then end up with a bunch of rain and a back pain from getting mudder by the waves...
@1948Isaac a little update it looks like I can pull this off if you are still going. I would have to Leave Miami or Ft Lauderdale Friday morning but as long as the conditions are not terrible I should be in Bimini early. Even with the same conditions we had coming to Bimini I should be able to make the trip in 3 hours but in all likley hood if its that bad I wouldn't go as it would make a long run to Chub. I would just have to check in with customs as my Bahamas cruising permit is still good and we could head to Chub that day. The only thing I'm trying to work out now is to find someone to ride my second ski across so I don't have to cross alone. I'm sure if I look hard though I can find someone crossing on Friday as its a holiday weekend. I would have to be back in the States early Monday so for me staying in Chub Friday and Saturday is fine and coming either back to Bimini Sunday or all the way back Sunday would be an option. Just let me know what you are thinking and we can go from there.

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
@1948Isaac a little update it looks like I can pull this off if you are still going. I would have to Leave Miami or Ft Lauderdale Friday morning but as long as the conditions are not terrible I should be in Bimini early. Even with the same conditions we had coming to Bimini I should be able to make the trip in 3 hours but in all likley hood if its that bad I wouldn't go as it would make a long run to Chub. I would just have to check in with customs as my Bahamas cruising permit is still good and we could head to Chub that day. The only thing I'm trying to work out now is to find someone to ride my second ski across so I don't have to cross alone. I'm sure if I look hard though I can find someone crossing on Friday as its a holiday weekend. I would have to be back in the States early Monday so for me staying in Chub Friday and Saturday is fine and coming either back to Bimini Sunday or all the way back Sunday would be an option. Just let me know what you are thinking and we can go from there.
@robert843 , @1948Isaac, sorry, I have to bail out on this one. Perhaps next year on our way to the Exumas. You guys have a blast and safe trip!

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck , Tons of INFO out there on "Great American Loop". They even have "Loopers" groups out there most complete loop on boats. There are many possible routes anywhere from Aprox 6K-8K miles. Larry Harcum, completed America's Great Loop in a Jet Ski. He traveled 5,805 miles in 87 days. He has a book about it called "Dreamrider: Adventures On America's Great Loop" Another semi adventurous guy going around the world right now with 4 jet skis, film crew, and support boat is Steven Moll who created the TV progran Dangerous Waters. So U see sport fans, I am not the only "mentally imbalanced" jet ski jockey out there! ;-)
Would you want to cruise and just enjoy the journey, or is there a part that would like to see how fast you could do it?