• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2018

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If crossing to Bimini gave you PTSD, you crossed on the wrong day ! :D
Not sure you crossed with us last year....if not jump on youtube or ask around about it. The term "poseidon adventure 2017" comes to mind

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not sure you crossed with us last year....if not jump on youtube or ask around about it. The term "poseidon adventure 2017" comes to mind
LOL. I've seen some of the videos, surprised all of you made it. Certainly conditions i would not have crossed in.

George1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Really want to make this trip!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was using navionics on 2 mobile phones and a fixed gps. I trusted the navionics more than the Garmin
I trust the navionics too, it is the mobile devices which I am worried about ....

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My crossing was more like the Dukes of Hazard, LOL

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
May have Finally found an anchor that will work in the soft Bimini sand. Pack of cigarets for scale
20171118_195302.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol well him and @tim h is here ill ask
View attachment 66104
I smell trouble, LOL!
Kate is still talking about that stupid Mantus in Bimini. "Did you see what he did? He just thru it in and walked away..!" Yeah, right. I have my river navy anchor of twenty years. Mantus shmantus.

--

Last edited:

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I smell trouble, LOL!
Kate is still talking about that stupid Mantus in Bimini. "Did you see what he did? He just thru it in and walked away..!" Yeah, right. I have my river navy anchor of twenty years. Mantus shamtus.

--
Mine did not do for shit. The sand is like flour or sugar could not get it to stick

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe I get lucky. The same fluke anchor that sets the 1st time every time at Anclote for me set easily in Bimini every time. 6 of one half dozen of the other I guess

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
May have Finally found an anchor that will work in the soft Bimini sand. Pack of cigarets for scale
View attachment 66103
I have a box anchor that just needs the lever arm that probably is about as big, lol At least it seems that way! I certainly won't be hauling it to bimini unless I can pack it extremely well somehow! Without anything but a rope, it's well... it's just gonna hold. The group of boats probably. So You throw that out fron and i'll do mine out back and we'll all be set. Now, to anchor in that 2500' of water may be a trick

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
nooo never, I will just make circles around your slow-prop minivan
Minivan is the right term :) . I will unveil it before Christmas. Will make you very jealous next spring :smuggrin:

George1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How many feet of chain on the line? Sometimes a couple of feet can make the difference

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How many feet of chain on the line? Sometimes a couple of feet can make the difference
From 2014 to 2016 I used a cheap, perhaps Yamaha original, danforth anchor in Bimini with 5' of 5/16" chain connected to an anchor buddy and 100' of rode attached and 200' of additional rode in a bag.

For 2017 I upgraded to a Fortress FX-7 leaving everything else the same.

I also borrowed a Mantus anchor to anchor a friend's boat in 2017. And I always take a coated river anchor with 5' of 5/16" chain as a stern anchor.

I owned a very nice box anchor for several years. I never took it to Bimini. I would not want to bounce that hunk of steel across the Gulf Stream. I used it once in the years I owned it. I sold it to a friend who returned it to Texas where everything is bigger.

So my experience is this.

1. River anchors are useless in Bimini. They will slow the movement of the stern. They will not hold the boat in place.

2. Cheap Danforths will work in most conditions. It may set on the first attempt. Just drop it, don't throw it.

3. A Fortress FX-7 fits in the anchor locker and will not damage it. It may set on the first attempt. Again, just drop it, don't throw it. In heavy waves our FX-7 held two boats when the well set river anchor would not hold one.

4. A Mantus may fit in the anchor locker. It is heavier and less convenient than a Danforth. It may set faster than a Danforth. In my one experience setting one while standing in the water it worked well.

5. An anchor buddy (elastic anchor line) will reduce the shock on any anchor greatly increasing its ability to hold. Buy one. It is well worth the $40 on the lake or in the ocean. I believe ours is has four summers of use and still works like new.

I have seen all kinds of anchors fail to hold on windy days at the Sapona. More scope may be the key to holding in those windy conditions. The best solutions I have found there are to snag the mooring ball if it is available or tie an achor line to the Sapona. If it is windy and the Sapona is busy it is best to find somewhere else to enjoy your time as many boats will be experimenting with their anchors.

If I buy another anchor for Bimini it would be to replace the stern anchor with a larger Fortress or possibly a Mantus anchor. The additional weight of the Mantus might make it more useful on a lake to hold the stern in place but at several times the cost of the river anchor I am not sure how I would feel about using it that way. A larger Fortress would store flat and be excellent for windy conditions or to help a friend anchor.

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd like to see that in 3' seas when i can still run close to 30mph... :D:D:D
on those condition I will have to slow down........ so I can pick your crew while the CG is getting ready to tow you back to Port Everglades. :env:

PS. here you can have this handy for the next morning when you have to fly to to Bimini.
https://www.silverairways.com/