• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2018

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They let me tag along...

@Berrie Do you post on THT ?
@tim h , Tim, I do post on THT. I actually started the Abaco thread for 2017, but was not able to secure a buddy boat for our first crossing. Several posters said they would, but bailed on me at various times. So we crossed from WPB to West End alone (and then on to Treasure Cay, 190 miles), and it did not feel good. Especially those last 10 miles when we had to go into a rain storm which caused solid 3' waves at very short intervals, and whitecaps everywhere. :(

We really do want to go back the Abacos, and also go to Bimini, but I don't feel comfortable doing it without other boats with us.

Last edited:

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Those spinning things are dangerous. My kids run away from them.

But we are always happy to help @tim h in and out of the skinny water.

Interestingly the successful crossing rate was higher amongst the jet boats than the big propped boats in 2017.

@Berrie, how large is your fuel tank?
@Bruce, we have 160 gallons of fuel. We ran 165 miles (WPB to Spanish Cay) @ 30mph and used about 110 gallons. WPB to West End was rough, but West End to Spanish was very flat.
We can easily make it to Bimini and back without refueling.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I don't have a good picture of how I secured them. On my boat, there is a fixed handle on the lower swim step. I just lined up the cans behind the handle up against it with the nozzles facing forward, and the side handles towards the back. Then I took 3 different ratchet straps and looped them through the handle on the boat and then through all 3 handles on the cans and back to the handle on the boat. The cans didn't budge at all for the entire trip.

You can see them in this quick video of our crossing:

Got it thanks. The one solid handle did all the work, perfect!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce, we have 160 gallons of fuel. We ran 165 miles (WPB to Spanish Cay) @ 30mph and used about 110 gallons. WPB to West End was rough, but West End to Spanish was very flat.
We can easily make it to Bimini and back without refueling.
@tim h, what was your record burn?

@Berrie, we had a similar sized cabin cruiser burn their entire 75 gallon tank in 20 miles during the 2017 crossing. Sometimes it can be really rough. I think you will be fine buy want to hear Tim's thoughts.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@tim h, what was your record burn?

@Berrie, we had a similar sized cabin cruiser burn their entire 75 gallon tank in 20 miles during the 2017 crossing. Sometimes it can be really rough. I think you will be fine buy want to hear Tim's thoughts.
@Bruce If it is that rough, we're not going. I generally would say if (the wave interval/height<2 AND wave height>2.5) OR wave height>3.5 I would postpone the crossing. Now 4' @ 15 seconds I may consider it, but those are about my limits, knowing that it will likely be a little worse midstream. I don't think a 190 or 210 would be able to cross in conditions worse than that.
What kind of cabin cruiser was it, what speed, and sea conditions? 75 gallons seems awfully small for a 32' cruiser with twin spinning thingies.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Berrie,

That boat was a 27' 2002 Regal Commodore. I also was surprised that he ran out of fuel and only had 75 gallons.

In 2015 and 2017 we had forecasts of less than 2 feet with 4 second intervals. Both times the wind shifted from SE to NE and we took a more violent pounding than expected. I believe @tim h's fuel burn on those crossings was close to your tank capacity. However your engine may be more efficient that his, I believe two strokes, outboards.

Certainly Yamaha's as small as 19' have crossed in conditions worse than your limit although I would not intentionally go out into them in any Yamaha.

I believe that the forecast for West Palm to West End is typically calmer than Fort Lauderdale or Miami to Bimini. Of course specific weather patterns can change that.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was just about to say @tim h has one of those spinning things on the back of his boat and we put up with him. Hell he even has 2 spinning things lol
if I recall @tim h brought the spinny penalty beer fee. @Berrie ...............but I beergress

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I was crossing in 19s I might try and get a few together to launch from Miami as opposed to Fort Lauderdale. It will save you approximate 10 miles if I recall correctly which would only help reduce the chance of having to refuel during passage. You'll have plenty of ocean to cross and certainly will not feel like you missed out on the adventure. Haulover was a nice launch and pretty quick access to the inlet.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I was crossing in 19s I might try and get a few together to launch from Miami as opposed to Fort Lauderdale. It will save you approximate 10 miles if I recall correctly which would only help reduce the chance of having to refuel during passage. You'll have plenty of ocean to cross and certainly will not feel like you missed out on the adventure. Haulover was a nice launch and pretty quick access to the inlet.
Bahia Mar Marina in Fort Lauderdale to Bimini Sands is is 59.7 miles. Haulover Marina (Miami) to Bimini Sands is 54.7 miles. The difference is five miles. Much of that is calm water inside Port Everglades.

This is Bahia Mar to Bimini Sands - http://tinyurl.com/yaehr2r6

This is Haulover to Bimini Sands - http://tinyurl.com/y8q685b7

From my perspective there is great benefit to an early crossing with an organized group which could not be accomplished without getting the boats and people in the water and together the day before.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
From my perspective there is great benefit to an early crossing with an organized group which could not be accomplished without getting the boats and people in the water and together the day before.
I will put in the water the day before and spend the night on the boat. Preferably in a slip, but We can moor and run the genny for a night if needed.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will put in the water the day before and spend the night on the boat. Preferably in a slip, but We can moor and run the genny for a night if needed.
We stay at Bahia Mar the night before. We receive a discount on slips and hotel rooms there. I believe you would be the first to stay on their boat. Would you also stay on your boat in Bimini?

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We stay at Bahia Mar the night before. We receive a discount on slips and hotel rooms there. I believe you would be the first to stay on their boat. Would you also stay on your boat in Bimini?
@Bruce Possibly yes, it depends on how long the trip is. If there are transient slips with good facilities, we have no problem staying on the boat.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce Possibly yes, it depends on how long the trip is. If there are transient slips with good facilities, we have no problem staying on the boat.
This sample agenda will give you an idea of what we typically do.

Do you have AC and adequate cooking facilities on your boat when connected to shore power? Those would likely be my deciding points. It is really nice to have air conditioning, a nice kitchen and a comfy bed after a long day on the water. We head to the pool most evenings.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bahia Mar Marina in Fort Lauderdale to Bimini Sands is is 59.7 miles. Haulover Marina (Miami) to Bimini Sands is 54.7 miles. The difference is five miles. Much of that is calm water inside Port Everglades.

This is Bahia Mar to Bimini Sands - http://tinyurl.com/yaehr2r6

This is Haulover to Bimini Sands - http://tinyurl.com/y8q685b7

That certainly maybe accurate as I couldn't remember off hand how much shorter although I knew it was and it felt that way crossing this year. 5 miles at no wake or 5 miles at this years crossing speed equates to a good amount of time ;). I agree you certainly couldn't get the amount of boats this year in the water if launching the same day. That would be an absolute nightmare. However, a small group could do that with no problem (we did it this year) and can still be prepared and organized. However, 5 miles may not make it worth it. I had 10 in my head for some reason.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck, there was a separate group that left from Haulover at the same time as our crossing this year. They reported that their crossing was rougher and took an hour longer.

Two boats that I believed to be crossing with us decided to leave from Pompano instead. One had a fuel issue and drifted for hours.

A group of 19 footers leaving on their own from Haulover seems like a nightmare to me.

myblueheaven305

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck, there was a separate group that left from Haulover at the same time as our crossing this year. They reported that their crossing was rougher and took an hour longer.

Two boats that I believed to be crossing with us decided to leave from Pompano instead. One had a fuel issue and drifted for hours.

A group of 19 footers leaving on their own from Haulover seems like a nightmare to me.
Just Curious why does Haulover seem like a nightmare when going to Bimini? Haulover is my front yard, I am new to boating and would like to know if I am missing something.. Thanks in advance..

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just Curious why does Haulover seem like a nightmare when going to Bimini? Haulover is my front yard, I am new to boating and would like to know if I am missing something.. Thanks in advance..
A group of 192s that might run out of fuel crossing from Haulover on their own is what I consider a nightmare scenario.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Glad to see this thread. We are considering Bimini trip 2018. We are in Raleigh, NC (@bronze_10 @Julian @Dan_NC) and we can do June. Year round school go back 7/9. Only concern is making crossing with young kids.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I "Agreed" in part because I kind of like coming from that direction, at least that was my observation of the seas in my two crossings. But it all depends, and @Bruce is 110% right about group logistics.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tim h , Tim, I do post on THT. I actually started the Abaco thread for 2017, but was not able to secure a buddy boat for our first crossing. Several posters said they would, but bailed on me at various times. So we crossed from WPB to West End alone (and then on to Treasure Cay, 190 miles), and it did not feel good. Especially those last 10 miles when we had to go into a rain storm which caused solid 3' waves at very short intervals, and whitecaps everywhere. us.
Should have jumped on here sooner a small group of us went to Abaco last year in June. We had two boats and two skis go. Our little group has done Bimini, Exuma and Abaco now so far as bad as it sounds Abaco was our least favorite but they really were all great. Abaco really is fairly easy distance run on a boat do to the protected water once you pass West End.