• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

bimini emergency

Jadams0527

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Possibly the fuel pressure sensor, these circuit is designed to cut off after a few seconds if a minimum pressure isnt met

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Possibly the fuel pressure sensor, these circuit is designed to cut off after a few seconds if a minimum pressure isnt met
where is this and how can it be tested?

One engine runs and one cuts off after 10 seconds or so... they swapped fuel pumps and the good engine ran fine on the bad engines pump and the bad engine would nit run on the good engines pump so i believe the pumps have been sound. it seems its an issue with the actual individual engine.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does this boat have trim tabs?

If necesssry parts are identified and available tomorrow Brad (HOA) is traveling to Bimini on Friday.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm of no help. Just want to say this is freaking crazy especially after the recent lightning related posts!! Glad everyone is ok! Does the boat show any signs of damage from the hit other than the engine cutting out? Unreal.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I dont think it was a direct hit.. but the people on the boat could tell you more. It appears it was just a very.. very close strike... like.... very close.!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad everyone is okay!

Any way of testing the spark at the bad engine with a spark tester? I know this might be hard to come by while in Bimini. My first thought was to swap the pumps but you did that. I don't think it is a fuse otherwise it wouldn't even start for the 10 seconds.

So many electronics so I am at a loss. Can you take off the battery connectors, clean up real good, and try again. Also check the engine ground since I think lightning could affect that connection

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No one is packing a YDS? I would say the code would probably tell you the most info.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mike, I sent you a text but not sure you'll get them in bimini. I can overnight my YDS to my Nephew in Miami if someone is making the crossing Thursday.

Jadams0527

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
where is this and how can it be tested?

One engine runs and one cuts off after 10 seconds or so... they swapped fuel pumps and the good engine ran fine on the bad engines pump and the bad engine would nit run on the good engines pump so i believe the pumps have been sound. it seems its an issue with the actual individual engine.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1035875/Yamaha-Waverunner-Vxs-Vx1800.html?page=234#manual Here’s a manual for a vxs that is close I’ll pull up my YDS when I get home.

Check for the sensor on the fuel rail. Should look like a thread on sensor with 3 or 4 wires coming out of the connector. Swap them like you did with the fuel pump for a quick and dirty check.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whats the code for the check engine light.
You can access the diag screen on the connext. Press and hold the SYS CONTROL button

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whats the code for the check engine light.
You can access the diag screen on the connext. Press and hold the SYS CONTROL button
Forgot the newer boats had fancy screens.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have my manual on my coffee table ready if ya need info @bronze_10

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Talked to them earlier, unfortunately I was of no help. Lightening was not a direct strike thank God, but two were shocked. A few storms appeared out of no where over Bimini while most of us were at Honeymoon Harbor (south of the storm). The guys that got struck were near the sunken airplane, pulling up the anchor when the strike happened. I suggested checking the spark plugs and wires as the engine sounds like it begins to miss fire when the check engine light comes on. Has anyone else had an engine that starts and runs at idle before dying due to a plug issue? Any advice would go a long way. Thanks in advance.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A plug usually will fire or it wont.
I have seen coils get hot then quit firing, or just start a miss because of cracking.
If it fires, idles then stumbles and stalls, sounds like losing fuel

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has @veedubtek been recruited for this effort?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
He has not, just got back and robert told me something about this. Where is the boat now? Happy to try to help? I'm at the sands now

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mike, I sent you a text but not sure you'll get them in bimini. I can overnight my YDS to my Nephew in Miami if someone is making the crossing Thursday.
The YDS we use for our older Yamaha MR-1 engines, will not work on the newer TR-1, 1.8l engines.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The YDS we use for our older Yamaha MR-1 engines, will not work on the newer TR-1, 1.8l engines.
Guess I just haven't spent enough time in the newer boat areas. I can have parts sent to him if they need parts too.