• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini NO, how about a CATALINA crossing?

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
so been there done that on the east coast... (no hate, just talking bs)
How about a yearly catalina trip? I'm sure we could get quite a few west coasters to go. Sure catalina isn't the islands of florida, but it could be a fun yearly thing. Anyone up for it? I'm looking for how many would be interested so we could start a thread/thing going for 2019.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Someday I want to make the crossing to Catalina. It has been done in Yamahas. My understanding is that you have to be cautious of the water conditions.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How about a yearly catalina trip? I'm sure we could get quite a few west coasters to go. Sure catalina isn't the islands of florida, but it could be a fun yearly thing. Anyone up for it? I'm looking for how many would be interested so we could start a thread/thing going for 2019.
Wasn’t Catalina Island just highlighted on Shark Week due to growing population of great whites? I think I’ll stick to dolphin spotting until Yamaha comes out with a 48 footer.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
People cross on wave runners. its less than 30 miles.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just ferried over to Catalina Island a week ago. It was 26 miles from Long Beach to Avalon and the water was rough. This crossing would probably not have been a pleasant experience in my boat that day. The small manmade beaches were packed with people. Cruise ships stop there on Mondays and Tuesdays...be sure to avoid those days. The water was cold but bearable with enough Descanso Destroyers :). Plenty of stuff to do on the island: hiking, biking, zip lines, island tours, scuba, etc., however, its a very pricy place to visit. Golf cart rentals (about the only way to get around besides taxis) are $45/hour. All that being said, it could be a fun trip provided the weather and the sea cooperate.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is Long Beach to the closest fuel on Catalina.

Looking at the water forecast for the next week it is mostly 2 footers with larger waves on the ocean side of the island.

I have often heard of the rough water from friends in the area.

668E2D2A-84B6-42C0-825C-6F9275823996.png A92A163D-0556-4D48-8BE0-CA5C27CCC134.png 4EC78A0A-9818-4C19-AF45-C526BE421D08.png

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've read that the best time of year to go is late summer. warmer and calmer seas, good fishing as well.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have done a bit research and it is defiantly doable. This year we are out but seriaouly consider it for 2019. Grand it does not overlap with Bimini.

Also if I were in you I would not write off Bimini. Sometime boats need a crew and you could just fly in FLL instead towing 3000 miles.

Please tag me when you get something going

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

I would be interested

DiverB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife and I are interested in making a Catalina trip, especially now that we live in AZ, its a easy drive over to California. We had a blast when we did the Bimini run, just not sure can make it to Bimini this year.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you guys or @Betik ever attempt the Catalina run? My husband and I are curious about it!

JohnB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe this should be done with a skier in tow....http://www.catalinaskirace.net/

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No attempt yet. Life got on the way but still on the bucket list
We are going over in our 252 SE in August. Our buddy will be with us in his 18' Parker. Nice to go in pairs. I will let you know how it goes. I do not expect any issues. I have already had this off shore 30 miles fishing and it did great. Much better then the little Parker. 4' seas, windy the night before so the water was a little bit choppy. The boat ran dry, no water or splashes came in.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Let me know as well. I possibly plan a trip late august. I've already got my chart plotter installed and been deciding on whether to launch from Long Beach or Newport Beach (a bit farther but I can avoid all of the ship traffic)
Good luck.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’d consider making a run to Catalina. I went to long beach state for my undergrad and recall seeing highlights from the annual waterski race. Guys doing 70 to 100 mph for 26 miles. I was there on a cruise ship excursion years ago. They limit the number of cars on the island which is why you are more likely to get around on a rented golf cart.

If I went it would probably be on a pwc (much less stressful for me to tow400 miles each way), mine or a rental. here is a company which offers pwc tours from Long Beach to Catalina daily. $400 per pwc plus $60 to add a passenger. Includes the pwc, fuel, wetsuit and a guide.

Attachments

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
$400 a day with the PWC included is dirt cheap. Adding a second person while crossing to Catalina is not something I would recommend. I have done 8 miles of me, my wife and 2 kids ( 7 & 9) and it was not fun going over 3 footers at 20 mph.

Tonecold11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would definitely be interested. The dealer that I bought my boat from sets up a trip out to Catalina in August. Unfortunately life happens and we weren't able to make it. They make reservations and camp in Two harbors for a couple nights. Maybe next year?!