• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat registration

Shir9406

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey folks,
This is mainly for people who just bought new boats… how long did it take to get it registered… my dealer is doing all that and I’ve been in constant talks … but I’m still waiting on registration and it will be close to 90 days… bought boat in Arkansas, but live in Texas. They are taking there sweet time.. but wondering if others are having similar experiences because of covid or something .. thanks.

In Michigan they closed all secratary of state offices because they figured Covid hangs out there or somethin so it’s appointment only and it about a three month wait. Total joke.

It’s pretty crazy… I’m just ready to get things done with the dealership and just enjoy… not been thrilled with the experience, but the boat itself is great!!! lol

I’m sure you’ll get it eventually, it shouldn’t stop you from using your boat. I ran mine for a while with the previous owners numbers still on. Sheriff patrol never bothered me about it.

Agree. I bought new and they gave me a temp tag. LEO never bothered me a bit (and it took a few months to get the actual reg). I was sure they would not see it and at least stop me. But they never did. Probably helps that I try not to be rude or an idiot on the water...

Guess they have bigger fish to catch.

Not sure about this year, but last year in my neck of the woods they didn’t check for current registrations until October due to Covid hold ups. I think you could certainly say you’ve been in the system for 3 months if you get asked.

DMV here in Vermont is by appointment only. I recently requested an appointment to register a new boat. Scheduled 30 days out, later this June.

If you have your bill of sale or any other paperwork regarding the registration or purchase then you will be fine. I went one whole season before I received the tags for my boat with no issues.

Another sail boat @zipper??

If you have your bill of sale or any other paperwork regarding the registration or purchase then you will be fine. I went one whole season before I received the tags for my boat with no issues.

Nah, making the Zodiak AL RIB w/ 15hp Merc. legal. Did not do it last year because we bought it late in the season and the wait for an appointment was after the season ended. I should have done it last Fall. Hindsight is 20/20.

Is there a 30 day window of leniency usually or in this Covid delayed world is there a longer tolerance to operate without completing registration? I am waiting on title to come back and unable to register until in hand.

Also I have a title for a PWC I purchased last week and have a buyer for it. Do I need to send it off to get in my name before I sell it?

Is there a 30 day window of leniency usually or in this Covid delayed world is there a longer tolerance to operate without completing registration? I am waiting on title to come back and unable to register until in hand.

Also I have a title for a PWC I purchased last week and have a buyer for it. Do I need to send it off to get in my name before I sell it?

Every State may be different. With that said, in Vt., we go to the DMV with all the paperwork in hand. The Bill of sale and the transfer of registration, if not done by a dealer. With the B.O.S. signed over, transfered old registration and a new registration form filled out, if it all checks out then you are issued the registration/numbers if new or out of state registered previously after you have paid 6% sales tax. You get the registration and are ready to use. You will wait a few weeks to get a new title from the State. I have not heard of any grace period.

On your second situation, you can just sign over the title to the new buyer. There should be a place on the title to do that. They will also need a bill of sale from you and any previous registration signed over if you have one.

Every State may be different. With that said, in Vt., we go to the DMV with all the paperwork in hand. The Bill of sale and the transfer of registration, if not done by a dealer. With the B.O.S. signed over, transfered old registration and a new registration form filled out, if it all checks out then you are issued the registration/numbers if new or out of state registered previously after you have paid 6% sales tax. You get the registration and are ready to use. You will wait a few weeks to get a new title from the State. I have not heard of any grace period.

On your second situation, you can just sign over the title to the new buyer. There should be a place on the title to do that. They will also need a bill of sale from you and any previous registration signed over if you have one.
Thanks for the reply. This was an out of state purchase and the title had a lien that we paid off and is being sent to me by USAA, so when I went to register they shared with me I had to wait for the title to come in. This was my boat dealer that does all my servicing and they said I would be good if I kept a copy of the bill of sale with me. Didn't say how long that would be good for. My concern is having delays based on the current world we live in and lack of help and logistics issues.

I think they would be lienient as long as you carried all the transfer paperwork with you of the old reg. numbers still on the boat. I would say go boating and do not make yourself stick out enough to get boarded. Make yourself look as boring as possible. Wear PFD's and they may look elsewhere.

I just screenshotted this from Vt DMV. I just renewed the registration for the Beneteau and zodiak as we were typing.

Screenshot_20220618-153655_Chrome.jpg

No grace period here. For renewals anyway.

Back