• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should I Sell My New Yamaha Boat?

dushan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My twin engine boat with 1.8's can hit 3.0mpg at 27 mph.
@dushan
Don't buy a boat if you can't afford the gas.
:D
Hahaha, very true! :)

But also, people need to realize that "my boat doesn't run on thanks".

Last edited:

dushan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where is everyone sitting? Sounds like you’ve got people in the bow? You don’t want anyone sitting in the bow unless there isn’t room, then the lightest people in the bow.

I don’t have any experience with a 19’ boat, but, at 14 mph the bow should be high and no water coming over the bow.
@FSH 210 Sport
In the beginning, yes, but people left the bow pretty quickly. On a recent trip, I asked passengers to distribute the weight more equally in the back seats, and I think this resulted in a much smoother ride. Thanks for the tips!

I have a couple more challenges. I'm not sure if I should open a separate thread or keep it all here, as these may be common concerns of new SX190/195 owners.

1) Cleaning/Carpets
I feel like since I got this boat, I'm not doing anything else but cleaning it. I've optimized the cleaning protocol as much as possible, but one thing still bothers me - the carpets. First, I need to wash them inside the boat, then take them out, wash the deck, wait for everything to dry, and finally, reinstall the carpets.
So, I was going to order Marine Mats, and now my dilemma is Snap-In vs. Stick-On. My understanding is that Stick-On will be super hard to remove later if needed, but on the other hand, I think that Snap-In would require a similar or exactly the same cleaning process as Snap-In carpets. Do you guys have any recommendations?

2) GPS
I'm using Navionics on my phone, which I feel is not safe for a jet boat, as everything is small, and the app doesn't provide a Steering screen. I was thinking of buying a tablet, but after using Navionics for a bit, I think this app is just deficient, regardless of the screen size. I'm not going fishing, so I need a recommendation for a reliable chartplotter that has good usability on a fast-moving boat.

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
@FSH 210 Sport
In the beginning, yes, but people left the bow pretty quickly. On a recent trip, I asked passengers to distribute the weight more equally in the back seats, and I think this resulted in a much smoother ride. Thanks for the tips!

I have a couple more challenges. I'm not sure if I should open a separate thread or keep it all here, as these may be common concerns of new SX190/195 owners.

1) Cleaning/Carpets
I feel like since I got this boat, I'm not doing anything else but cleaning it. I've optimized the cleaning protocol as much as possible, but one thing still bothers me - the carpets. First, I need to wash them inside the boat, then take them out, wash the deck, wait for everything to dry, and finally, reinstall the carpets.
So, I was going to order Marine Mats, and now my dilemma is Snap-In vs. Stick-On. My understanding is that Stick-On will be super hard to remove later if needed, but on the other hand, I think that Snap-In would require a similar or exactly the same cleaning process as Snap-In carpets. Do you guys have any recommendations?

2) GPS
I'm using Navionics on my phone, which I feel is not safe for a jet boat, as everything is small, and the app doesn't provide a Steering screen. I was thinking of buying a tablet, but after using Navionics for a bit, I think this app is just deficient, regardless of the screen size. I'm not going fishing, so I need a recommendation for a reliable chartplotter that has good usability on a fast-moving boat.
My factory marine mats are awesome, they are soft and cushiony and so far anything I have had to clean just wiped right up with 303 cleaner. I don't have to clean all the mats after every outing but only clean bare feet are on the boat.

I'm using Navonics on my iPhone and I think the app is great; however, its terrible to use on the small screen of an iPhone so I will be buying the Garmin GPSMAPS 943 for next season, I tried an iPad mini but the screen was not great in the sunlight with polarized sun glasses on.

Last edited:

dushan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My factory marine mats are awesome, they are soft and cushiony and so far anything I have had to clean just wiped right up with 303 cleaner. I don't have to clean all he mats after every time I use the boat but only clean bare feet on the boat.

I'm using Navonics on my iPhone and I think the app is great; however, its terrible to use on the small screen of an iPhone so I will be buying the Garmin GPSMAPS 943 for next season, I tried an iPad mini but the screen was not great in the sunlight with polarized sun glasses on.
Are your mats snap or stick?

I don't know, I hear many people love Navionics, but I find the Navionics app almost unusable on my boat. I'd rather use Google Maps to see where I'm going because I can zoom in and pan the map without it resetting every time I touch it. There should be a steering screen like the one explained in this video.:

When on board a vessel moving at this speed, once I've set my course, I don't want to be looking at the screen, except to occasionally glance over at a big arrow that would tell me if I need to adjust my course a bit. That's the reason why I'm planning to buy a dedicated chart plotter with a steering screen.

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Are your mats snap or stick?

I don't know, I hear many people love Navionics, but I find the Navionics app almost unusable on my boat. I'd rather use Google Maps to see where I'm going because I can zoom in and pan the map without it resetting every time I touch it. There should be a steering screen like the one explained in this video.:

When on board a vessel moving at this speed, once I've set my course, I don't want to be looking at the screen, except to occasionally glance over at a big arrow that would tell me if I need to adjust my course a bit. That's the reason why I'm planning to buy a dedicated chart plotter with a steering screen.
You are not kidding!!! That is the most annoying thing ever; however, I figured out if you use the + and - on the screen, then it will not reset and will keep the direction you are heading. That's why I'm looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 943 GN+, it has an amazing screen and a faster processor for instant zooming in and out. I don't think you will have to zoom in and out much with a 9" screen and I'm not sure but I don't think it will reset if you pinch to zoom on a dedicated chartplotter.

dushan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You are not kidding!!! That is the most annoying thing ever; however, I figured out if you use the + and - on the screen, then it will not reset and will keep the direction you are heading. That's why I'm looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 943 GN+, it has an amazing screen and a faster processor for instant zooming in and out. I don't think you will have to zoom in and out much with a 9" screen and I'm not sure but I don't think it will reset if you pinch to zoom on a dedicated chartplotter.
Haha, I figure that + and - won't reset the map, but trust me, I can't hit them, and my fingers aren't even that fat! Could they make these two icons smaller? 😅 Even if I first stabilize my hand on the dash, for the life of me, I can't hit + and -. Not sure why the 'head up' or 'course up' settings can't stay once set. They did such a great job with this app, but a few small things have totally made it unusable, at least for me.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into that Gramin. :thumbsup:

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
At around 20 mph and there are 5 adults onboard. I attempted to slow down even more, however, the bow would dip too low, causing water to come over, which frightened the passengers. Cruising around 25 mph resulted in too harsh slamming.

I've been attempting to strike a balance between not prolonging the discomfort by moving too slowly and avoiding strong impacts at higher speeds.

This is the area I typically cruise, heading down to Alligator Reef and up to Sand Banks, perhaps a little farther, so nothing too distant in the ocean.

View attachment 206720
I go offshore a lot on my 190FSH, I would not dare take more than 2 passenger (preferably just one). Ours is pretty much a Bay boat (low gunnel) and doesnt take much to get water over the bow. When I have more than 2 guest i stay in the bay even if its only 2 footers.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But also, people need to realize that "my boat doesn't run on thanks"
While that IS a funny line, my brother-in-law threw that out 3 weeks ago when they had visitors, and we stopped for drinks. I said something to his "guest" about how he was behaving, and I also said something to my brother-in-law after they had left and we were hanging out with him,along these lines:

You invited them. Maybe rethink your "friendship" with them, and adjust accordingly. Adjust your expectations, your view of how they look at you, your take on just what your guests expect from you. YOU set the expectations on your boat. This is the a-hole in ME, but I've never had or heard complaints about my expectations, and I'm not gentle in the least with how I speak. Safety and fun go hand in hand, it sounds like finances are something you feel should be added. It's illegal to ask for money if you aren't in business, but friends tend to take care of each other in other ways. Why aren't yours?

The people who are invited are your guest, if you have funding needs, there's nothing wrong with laying out what you will be limiting things to, unless you want the glory of ownership without the sheepish admission that a boat costs money, time & effort. My friends and guests don't abuse my goodwill, because I'm wanting to spend time with them at my expense. Maybe look at who you're inviting with a more judicious eye, if your wallet is taking too much of a beating

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
25ft 240 .. the best criuse at 1.5fters is 30mph .. i went from Key largo all way to islamorada at 30 mph criuse speed no problem but will hit 53 under .75s .. buy mine if you want it may be going for sale soon .. looking at the new 24s ...

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
1) Cleaning/Carpets

As mentioned, insist everyone remove shoes. We only allow naked feet on our boat. Also we don't allow people to bring whatever they want on the boat that could easily spill (food or beverage) and cause stains and a mess. I typically clean the mats once at the end of the year before storage. Inside I wipe it down about once a month to remove dust. The outside gets wiped down with 50/50 vinegar and water after every day to remove hard water spots. I clean the windshield from time to time. That's about it.

As for costs...I don't ask for gas money, I bought the boat to have fun and will fill up on my dime as needed. BUT...it is our $65k boat and we have the above rules, and if they don't like it, tough - they can stay on shore.
😛
2) GPS
I'm using Navionics on my phone,
Before I bought a Raymarine chartplotter for the 212s, I used Navionics on my phone for years and it worked fine. I don't know what you're doing wrong, but it worked as expected on my Android phone until I installed the Raymarine the next year. The Raymarine uses Navionics data. I did side by side comparisons of the Yamaha Connext built-in Maps to my phone, and they were essentially the same. I compared the Raymarine as well and it's the same. Heads-Up works on my plotter, and it worked on my phone.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
While that IS a funny line, my brother-in-law threw that out 3 weeks ago when they had visitors, and we stopped for drinks. I said something to his "guest" about how he was behaving, and I also said something to my brother-in-law after they had left and we were hanging out with him,along these lines:

You invited them. Maybe rethink your "friendship" with them, and adjust accordingly. Adjust your expectations, your view of how they look at you, your take on just what your guests expect from you. YOU set the expectations on your boat. This is the a-hole in ME, but I've never had or heard complaints about my expectations, and I'm not gentle in the least with how I speak. Safety and fun go hand in hand, it sounds like finances are something you feel should be added. It's illegal to ask for money if you aren't in business, but friends tend to take care of each other in other ways. Why aren't yours?

The people who are invited are your guest, if you have funding needs, there's nothing wrong with laying out what you will be limiting things to, unless you want the glory of ownership without the sheepish admission that a boat costs money, time & effort. My friends and guests don't abuse my goodwill, because I'm wanting to spend time with them at my expense. Maybe look at who you're inviting with a more judicious eye, if your wallet is taking too much of a beating
Completely agree. When we invite people on the boat we provide all of the beverages because I don’t want a bunch of small coolers in the boat taking up space. The Admiral generally makes/purchases lunch-type food and we always have snack stuff onboard. We tell guests if they have specific dietary needs they can bring what they want but we prefer to control the storage space as much as possible - especially with larger groups.

We expect to spend money when we have guests on the boat and I don’t invite anyone that I feel would take advantage of our generosity. I’ve had people try to give us money for gas in the past and I’ve always declined. We like to entertain, it’s the cost of doing business.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

I invited my neighbors to go out fishing, once, their 20 something son couldn’t handle his beer and was a total douchebag, then passed out. So now there is a no alcohol policy on my boat for anyone that I have not been around on land when they’ve been drinking. So far that has solved all the behavior issues, that and being a bit discretionary.

I guess I have chosen well… I have to turn down offers of cash regularly for gas, I tell them “I didn’t invite you so you can pay for my boating, I invited you because I like your company and I want you to have fun“, my guests know what snacks I like so they bring those…life is good.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@FSH 210 Sport

1) Cleaning/Carpets

2) GPS
Cleaning, welcome to owning a boat ! LOL! On my boat there is just one small marine mat at the helm to stand on, the rest of the deck is non skid gel coat. I carry a deck brush and I have a raw water wash down so the deck gets cleaned on the water before the boat hits the marina. I also rinse peoples shoes off with the raw water wash down while at the dock. It’s also amazing fast the clean up is when your friends that went with help to wash the boat after you get home, when my two main fishing buddies go with me the boat is completely washed inside and out and wiped down in less than 30 mins, probably more like 15-20.

GPS & Chart plotter / Depth finder / Fish finder; first off I guess I’m biased since my boat is mainly a fishing boat, having said that I cannot imagine not having the suite of GPS / Chart navigation, 2D fish finder, side scan imaging and down imaging. Being able to set a red depth warning color on the shallow areas of the lake, the ability to adjust the “ off set” or actual water level of the lake which changes where the depths / contour lines are, and especially the down imaging to see whats underneath the boat are priceless tools for navigation. Whichever one you choose get the best one you can, yes you will have to add a transducer to the transom and a gps puck to the cap rail, a lot of folks rave about about the Garmin echo map, the Simrad NSX, I have a Humminbird Solix with a 10” screen and I really like it, get the biggest screen you can. The factory connext screen on my boat is small and didn’t come with navigation, Ive looked at the factory nav screens and while helpful I find the ones I looked far too small to be used while cruising along, it does have useful information so it’s definitely worth having. But all the info you need while cruising can be displayed on a MFD, speed, heading, depth, source voltage, water temperature, time and date etc… If you invest in a good system and then decide to get another boat you can take it with the boat, youll just need to install a transducer and cable on the new boat. This is a big investment for sure, but so was your boat, the first time you get caught out at night or limited visibility conditions and you can use your chart plotter to track back on your outbound course it will be worth every cent you paid for it.

Life is short, buy the best stuff you can afford and use it often. If you need a bigger boat then don’t F around, go get one that is better suited to what you need.