• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should I Sell My New Yamaha Boat?

dushan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey there, first time posting here, and hoping to get some input from those who've been through something similar. :)

I'm down in Key Largo and recently picked up a new SX190, mainly to go diving, snorkeling, and hanging out on the water with family and friends. We're big fans of the Atlantic side, but dealing with (small) waves has been a challenge. 😓

I knew jet boats this size aren't great with choppy waters when I bought it, but I read many positive experiences that made me think it couldn't be that bad. Well, I was so wrong. It's been pretty tough – every time we've taken it out, we've ended up with sore backs and a week of ibuprofen. 💊 Even on days with 1-2 foot waves, it's been a struggle. I can't even imagine what would happen if we hit bigger waves.

I realized I made a mistake and I'm starting to think SX190 is not the right fit for what I had in mind. Leaning toward selling it, but I don't want to rush into that decision. If anyone has some advice or encouragement, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey there, first time posting here, and hoping to get some input from those who've been through something similar. :)

I'm down in Key Largo and recently picked up a new SX190, mainly to go diving, snorkeling, and hanging out on the water with family and friends. We're big fans of the Atlantic side, but dealing with (small) waves has been a challenge. 😓

I knew jet boats this size aren't great with choppy waters when I bought it, but I read many positive experiences that made me think it couldn't be that bad. Well, I was so wrong. It's been pretty tough – every time we've taken it out, we've ended up with sore backs and a week of ibuprofen. 💊 Even on days with 1-2 foot waves, it's been a struggle. I can't even imagine what would happen if we hit bigger waves.

I realized I made a mistake and I'm starting to think SX190 is not the right fit for what I had in mind. Leaning toward selling it, but I don't want to rush into that decision. If anyone has some advice or encouragement, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
I had great success after adding trim tabs to my FSH 210. Really helps keep the bow down and at the right speed cruise right over the waves.

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
My opinion is you have to go bigger in the ocean.... based on your comments, yes sell it, you will never be happy in a 19' in the ocean. Hopefully you can purchase a 25', even if preowned, and continue boating with family and friends in beautiful Florida!

dushan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had great success after adding trim tabs to my FSH 210. Really helps keep the bow down and at the right speed cruise right over the waves.
Oh, that's great to hear! I'm glad you had success with the trim tabs. Was it a DIY install? I've noticed they're priced around $1.6K. Could you pls share the total cost for the parts + install?

Last edited:

dushan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My opinion is you have to go bigger in the ocean.... based on your comments, yes sell it, you will never be happy in a 19' in the ocean. Hopefully you can purchase a 25', even if preowned, and continue boating with family and friends in beautiful Florida!
Thanks! One factor that played a role in my bad decision was that my tow vehicle can handle 3500-4000 max. Going bigger would have essentially meant purchasing a new truck. However, in hindsight, it might have been better if I had taken that hit sooner than later.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 210 and boat in Marathon, It does well in the waves I think.. I personally dont think trim tabs will help like you want as you want to keep bow up more then down in the ocean swell and waves.

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Thanks! One factor that played a role in my bad decision was that my tow vehicle can handle 3500-4000 max. Going bigger would have essentially meant purchasing a new truck. However, in hindsight, it might have been better if I had taken that hit sooner than later.
I had to upgrade vehicles to get a boat, I still leaned toward gas milage than complete muscle... bought a V6 instead of HEMI but it is rated to tow my 222SD but does hold high RPMs up hill....lol

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

How fast are you going in the 1-2’ waves?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Speed is the other element. You can't go 30mph and expect smooth ride on 2ft waves in a 19ft boat. You are going to get pounded unless you slow down a bit.
Having said that, the WEIGHT of the boat has a huge effect on its performance on the waves, and you have a light boat.

If it was me, in that area, and I could afford it, I'd sell and get something that weighs a lot more. Just went to the keys on a 30ft Chris Craft converted to Suzuki Outboard power 2 X 300hp that I think will be for sale soon. Another world, but another level of expense.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
25' is what you want for the Keys. Just was down there and was able to be WOT most of the time. One morning we caught some pretty rough stuff and was able to still cruise around 20mph with the bow up.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Speed is the other element. You can't go 30mph and expect smooth ride on 2ft waves in a 19ft boat. You are going to get pounded unless you slow down a bit.
Having said that, the WEIGHT of the boat has a huge effect on its performance on the waves, and you have a light boat.

If it was me, in that area, and I could afford it, I'd sell and get something that weighs a lot more. Just went to the keys on a 30ft Chris Craft converted to Suzuki Outboard power 2 X 300hp that I think will be for sale soon. Another world, but another level of expense.
Totally true about another world and another level of expense, but also another level of performance. A 30’ boat that has a dead rise of say 21-22* and more weight that is designed for bigger water is going to perform way better than a 2500# 19’ boat with a 19* dead rise..

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
25' is what you want for the Keys. Just was down there and was able to be WOT most of the time. One morning we caught some pretty rough stuff and was able to still cruise around 20mph with the bow up.
Spot on… riding just this side of the hump with the bow / shield up is a way smoother and drier ride.

Trimming the bow down with tabs in lighter chop will smooth out the ride but also pushes the spray forward which is no problem when there is little to no wind. Get into bigger water and that spray will start coming back over and into the boat unless you have a boat with a Carolina flare to it. Look at all those high end CC’s and DC’s made for running fast off shore, their running angle has the front 1/4 if not the front 1/3 of the boat riding up out of the water that keeps the bow able to punch through the bigger waves and keeps a dry smooth ride, and they use the engines to achieve that bow high attitude. Most of those bigger boats use their trim tabs to make the boat ride level. But those boats have a 22* dead rise so that helps the ride in that configuration.

My experience in my 21’ boat when the waves are in the 3-4’ range is to slow to 14 mph and keep the bow up and the spray as far back as possible. The ride is smooth and there is a lot of thrust at that point so directional control is sharp.

Its a lot like driving down a bad / dirt road, you slow down when it starts getting rough to keep the ride smooth and from beating your vehicle to death, unless you have a trophy truck then it doesn’t matter.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Oh, that's great to hear! I'm glad you had success with the trim tabs. Was it a DIY install? I've noticed they're priced around $1.6K. Could you pls share the total cost for the parts + install?
It was DIY way easier than i thought. Once you get over drilling a few holes you would be fine. What others have said is correct it will make more spray however I don't think you are talking about taking it out into the open ocean riding swells. If that's the case trim tabs wont help. however in the channels, near shore and bays you will see a huge difference with the smaller waves. It can near eliminate the constant pounding in chop especially for those who sit up front. I don't recall how much I spent but 1600 doesn't sound far off. I just contacted the company as suggested in this forum and got a great deal. I personally opted for the ALC (automatic leveling control) Its pricy however if you contact the company and tell them you are a member of this forum they will give you a great package deal.

dushan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How fast are you going in the 1-2’ waves?
At around 20 mph and there are 5 adults onboard. I attempted to slow down even more, however, the bow would dip too low, causing water to come over, which frightened the passengers. Cruising around 25 mph resulted in too harsh slamming.

I've been attempting to strike a balance between not prolonging the discomfort by moving too slowly and avoiding strong impacts at higher speeds.

This is the area I typically cruise, heading down to Alligator Reef and up to Sand Banks, perhaps a little farther, so nothing too distant in the ocean.

1692391120961.png

dushan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another concern I have is fuel economy. During the aforementioned trips, I'm getting only 2.6 mpg.

Is this to be expected?

I feel like crying every time I see the receipt at the pump. 😅

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Another concern I have is fuel economy. During the aforementioned trips, I'm getting only 2.6 mpg.

Is this to be expected?

I feel like crying every time I see the receipt at the pump. 😅
2.6 mpg is actually good for a boat

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had to upgrade vehicles to get a boat, I still leaned toward gas milage than complete muscle... bought a V6 instead of HEMI but it is rated to tow my 222SD but does hold high RPMs up hill....lol
My experience is that a V6 doesn’t necessarily get better gas mileage than a V8, as overall the V8 will run at lower RPMs pretty much at all speeds. At least that has been my experience with two Jeep/Dodge 3.7’s vs two Ram 5.7 Hemi’s.

Regarding boat size, I would rent (or charter) a 25’ for the day and see if you (and the family) feel much more comfortable in the larger boat? Almost always, a bigger boat will be more comfortable than a smaller boat.

An outboard will usually give better fuel economy than a jet boat. You would probably get 3 - 3.5 mpg in a similar sized outboard powered boat.

Jim

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
At around 20 mph and there are 5 adults onboard. I attempted to slow down even more, however, the bow would dip too low, causing water to come over, which frightened the passengers. Cruising around 25 mph resulted in too harsh slamming.

I've been attempting to strike a balance between not prolonging the discomfort by moving too slowly and avoiding strong impacts at higher speeds.

This is the area I typically cruise, heading down to Alligator Reef and up to Sand Banks, perhaps a little farther, so nothing too distant in the ocean.

View attachment 206720
Where is everyone sitting? Sounds like you’ve got people in the bow? You don’t want anyone sitting in the bow unless there isn’t room, then the lightest people in the bow.

I don’t have any experience with a 19’ boat, but, at 14 mph the bow should be high and no water coming over the bow.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length