• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat still at dealer, 4 weeks now!

kstrd23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Hey guys,

I took my 2 year old ar192 in 4 weeks ago to the dealer. (55 hours). It wouldn't go over 30mph. The rpms were getting up near normal range, but the boat felt weak. Almost like it was cavitation. There was nothing in the clean out port, or intake grate. Impeller looked good. Since it was under warranty, I didn't want to waste time. So, I took it in. So far they've replaced the whole supercharger assembly, replaced the driveshaft and coupling, cleaned the fuel injectors and I don't even know what else. They said yamaha techs are coming next week to look at it. We're so disappointed. We had two weeks vacation this summer, one in July and one two weeks ago. And both were going to be boat trips and planned to use it a lot. I'm in NJ - I really only get 3 months of use anyway. Would calling yamaha do anything? Has anyone ever had an experience like this? So bummed - thanks for any help

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yamaha should at least give you a few hundred $$ credit.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So sorry.

It seems odd to attack the supercharger if rpms are there. Sounds like they were throwing parts at it to see what happened.

These boats are generally reliable, but the warranty service is hit or miss, depending on your dealer. Clearly it's a big miss for you.

kstrd23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Did all of that stuff have issues or is the dealership just throwing darts in the dark hoping for a fix? How did the wear ring look? Any strange noises? What were your RPM's?

edit - here's your original thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/ar192-power-loss-this-is-what-dealer-told-me.18818/#post-323496
They said the driveshaft was "blued". They thought it was overheating. And It seems like the new supercharger assembly was just an attempt because they don't know what else to do. Then they said they cleaned the fuel Injectors and still didn't make a difference. No strange noises that I noticed. And rpms seemed normal to me out on the water. Thanks!

kstrd23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So sorry.

It seems odd to attack the supercharger if rpms are there. Sounds like they were throwing parts at it to see what happened.

These boats are generally reliable, but the warranty service is hit or miss, depending on your dealer. Clearly it's a big miss for you.
Thanks -
Yea, it just is baffling to me that they can't figure it out. They're a big dealer.

kstrd23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
My friends FSH was having the same symptoms you’re describing. It ran fine in February before he had it serviced. Since the service It sat for 5 months because of his busy schedule. Taking it out last weekend And it would only get up to 25 mph and 6,500 rpm. Long story short the air cleaner had so much moisture in it that the engine couldn’t breath. Removed the air cleaner and the boat came alive all the way up to 7800 rpm and 40 mph
Ah, wow. Ok thanks. I'll tell them to look at that right away

Adubbs76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If you are getting normal RPM. Then there is nothing wrong with the engine. It can only be some type of drag. If you are getting cavitation then it is an issue with your impeller or the tunnel. If you were not making enough power I.E. supercharger, starved for air, injectors. You would not be turning normal RPM.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
By chance was your boat wet slipped? Is the hull clean?

kstrd23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
If you are getting normal RPM. Then there is nothing wrong with the engine. It can only be some type of drag. If you are getting cavitation then it is an issue with your impeller or the tunnel. If you were not making enough power I.E. supercharger, starved for air, injectors. You would not be turning normal RPM.
Ok, thanks. That's what I figured and I was surprised when they replaced the supercharger

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds exactly like mine. Would get into the high 30's but didn't feel right then took the kids tubing and couldn't get over 15. With everyone out of the boat it seemed find. Changed the impellers and fixed everything. My old impellers looked perfect, only had 45 or so hrs on the boat but i did get stuck on a sandbar the previous year and we think that bent the impellers ever so slightly that they were out of spec. Make sure they check the tolerances and not just look and see it looks fine

kstrd23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Sounds exactly like mine. Would get into the high 30's but didn't feel right then took the kids tubing and couldn't get over 15. With everyone out of the boat it seemed find. Changed the impellers and fixed everything. My old impellers looked perfect, only had 45 or so hrs on the boat but i did get stuck on a sandbar the previous year and we think that bent the impellers ever so slightly that they were out of spec. Make sure they check the tolerances and not just look and see it looks fine
Ah ok, thanks! That sounds exactly like what's happening with mine

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's impellers do a bad seal around the intake grates causing cavitation. Swapping the impellers would have been easier and quicker to try than the supercharger. Make sure they check the intake grates under the boat for bad seals. If they are bad then it sucks water around the grate causing it to cavitate.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys,

I took my 2 year old ar192 in 4 weeks ago to the dealer. (55 hours). It wouldn't go over 30mph. The rpms were getting up near normal range, but the boat felt weak. Almost like it was cavitation. There was nothing in the clean out port, or intake grate. Impeller looked good. Since it was under warranty, I didn't want to waste time. So, I took it in. So far they've replaced the whole supercharger assembly, replaced the driveshaft and coupling, cleaned the fuel injectors and I don't even know what else. They said yamaha techs are coming next week to look at it. We're so disappointed. We had two weeks vacation this summer, one in July and one two weeks ago. And both were going to be boat trips and planned to use it a lot. I'm in NJ - I really only get 3 months of use anyway. Would calling yamaha do anything? Has anyone ever had an experience like this? So bummed - thanks for any help
My experience with Yamaha Customer Relations is that they are totally worthless. They talk a good tune at first but then you never hear back from them. I have called them on 2 occasions and they promised to look into my issue and get back to me. They NEVER called me back. If you have a good dealer, he is for best bet!

kstrd23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That's impellers do a bad seal around the intake grates causing cavitation. Swapping the impellers would have been easier and quicker to try than the supercharger. Make sure they check the intake grates under the boat for bad seals. If they are bad then it sucks water around the grate causing it to cavitate.
Ok, thanks. I'll mention that to them also

kstrd23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
My experience with Yamaha Customer Relations is that they are totally worthless. They talk a good tune at first but then you never hear back from them. I have called them on 2 occasions and they promised to look into my issue and get back to me. They NEVER called me back. If you have a good dealer, he is for best bet!
Sorry to hear that! All they said when I called was that they are sending a technician down to the dealer. And basically that's all they can do for now. Let's see what happens this week . I'll also share with them what the guys above have mentioned

kstrd23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Hey everyone,

So the dealer said the ribbon was clogged and rusted. And they ran it with no ribbon and it ran strong, stronger than stock. Anyone ever see this happen before? They are going to order the new part and hopefully I'll be back on the water this weekend. Thanks for any input..

Adubbs76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The only thing that is strange about that is that you reported normal RPM. I would think if your engine was starved for air it would not be able to achieve that but hopefully you are all set.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Clogged and rusted? I would not think the ribbon would be made of steel and rust. Hmmm