• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat won't start

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Need help! Getting ready for spring and my boat won't start. Here's what I've done:

Wet storage hatch is closed
Lanyard is on
Lever in Neutral
Charged battery at AutoZone about 1 or 2 weeks ago and it sat in my garage (not on trickle charger)
Battery switch is turned to "ON"
Checked fuse on wall by battery.

I can hear my blower and it seems like all the lights are working, but the radio and my digital info gauge aren't coming on for *bleep*. When I turn the key, you can hear the blower lose a little bit of power.

Is it possible that my battery lost power for simply sitting for 1 or 2 weeks? Also, is there any risk in using a vehicle to jump start?

Thanks!

I would start with looking at the battery. I don't see why there would be an issue with jumping from a car battery.

If I understand this when you turn the key nothing happens (engine doesn't try to turn over) but you do hear the blower slow down. The boat has been sitting during the winter, the boat was fine when you put it up, you put a new battery in about two weeks ago.

I agree that you should look at the battery first. Most batteries when bought new are not fully charged to begin with. I have not tried to jump start the boat from a car. I would probably swap the battery to be safe but overall I would think you can just jump start it. Maybe someone has a jump pack you could use. Also you could take the battery back and they can check it to make sure the battery is OK.

If I understand this when you turn the key nothing happens (engine doesn't try to turn over) but you do hear the blower slow down. The boat has been sitting during the winter, the boat was fine when you put it up, you put a new battery in about two weeks ago.

I agree that you should look at the battery first. Most batteries when bought new are not fully charged to begin with. I have not tried to jump start the boat from a car. I would probably swap the battery to be safe but overall I would think you can just jump start it. Maybe someone has a jump pack you could use. Also you could take the battery back and they can check it to make sure the battery is OK.

Hey @rkluck thanks for the advice. My battery is not new. I believe it may be the original battery that came with the boat. I'm not sure. It is a 2013 AR192 that I bought used last year. The battery did sit in my garage all winter but not on a trickle charger. I took it to AutoZone and they said the battery was good but low on charge so they re-charged it for me, and then it sat in my garage again for around a week. I'm going to try and jumpstart and see what happens. Something tells me a new battery is in my near future.

Starter, starter solenoid, or relay could also be bad. They could be trying to turn but can't.
Also, nothing jammed into the impellers? That would cause similar symptoms. I know my kids have stuck toys in there in the off season before!

Also, double check that you didn't miss a positive or negative lead when reconnecting the battery. Could be that simple.

Check cabling around the battery and make sure it's charged fully.

There are 2 cables that connect to the negative pole of the battery right? does it matter which is on top vs bottom? @Speedling everything you mentioned sounds pretty scary (expensive). Including the toys in the impellers.

I'm not sure on how many, but order doesn't matter as long as everything is tight.

Can you post a picture of your battery connections?

Hey @rkluck thanks for the advice. My battery is not new. I believe it may be the original battery that came with the boat. I'm not sure. It is a 2013 AR192 that I bought used last year. The battery did sit in my garage all winter but not on a trickle charger. I took it to AutoZone and they said the battery was good but low on charge so they re-charged it for me, and then it sat in my garage again for around a week. I'm going to try and jumpstart and see what happens. Something tells me a new battery is in my near future.
I think you might have just answered your question...

Yes I agree that you probably have a bad battery , use a volt meter on it and get a reading, then have someone turn the key while you monitor the volt meter if it drops below 12 volts it is suspect if it goes below 10 volts under a load it is probably toast, also a low cell usually means this cell is going bad. I bet if you replace the battery it will be just fine. One more possible thing if the battery checks ok,, the pump liners swell up when the boat is not in use so your liner may have locked up the pump , if this is the issue you can see the edges of the impeller contacting the pump liner.

Thanks all for he help. DEFINITELY just a bad battery...*sigh*... Not sure I want to risk getting on the water with this one. Getting new one ASAP. BTW I just jump started with my tow vehicle. No trouble. I thought batteries were more reliable than this.

Last edited:
3 years is the norm for most marine batteries especially if you do not use the boat every week

3years?!!! Yikes, I am going on 7 years.
I am guessing you utilize a battery tender of some sort off season? I heard this helps a lot.

Not wanting to hijack thread but, yes, you guys taught me to pull the battery every winter and put on a battery tender in the basement. It is always dependable. I don't even charge it during the summer.

Not wanting to hijack thread but, yes, you guys taught me to pull the battery every winter and put on a battery tender in the basement. It is always dependable. I don't even charge it during the summer.
With as much as your boat runs around Jim, I don't doubt that for a second. :thumbsup:

It was also stated it sat in your garage. I hope it wasn't sitting directly on concrete, as that will drain a battery quickly. It is important to put on cardboard or a shelf. Unless that is just an Old Wives' Tale my dad taught me. But I have seen it happen..

Glad to hear you got her going. As mentioned above these batteries (and my motorcycle and my car) begin to be suspect around three years. If the battery is just sitting it will drain completely which harms the battery. Best approach is put a battery tender on it. I have also been told (by my father) that leaving a battery on concrete is bad. I don't know if that is true but I don't do it!

Back