• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Both engines idle rough and then die

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
that screams water in the fuel to me. I just dealt with motor that the gas I got had water in it. They wont run smooth at all then catch a little run nice for a second then die or run rough... that is all smptoms of water int he fuel.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had this happen last year at the Broken Bow gathering. Both engines sounded like rocks in a paint shaker. I changed plugs, no change. I took out a battery and drove it to an auto place, tested good (got a huge chip in my windshield driving there - constant reminder)!! Turns out it was a loose connection on the batteries. Check all of your connections...

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just for shits and giggles, pop your clean out plugs and see if you have wound up a rope on your shafts. It's a stretch but possible.

Your looking at fuel problem

Or

Spark plug problem

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a fuel sender issue to me. What was the screen you cleaned out in the bildge.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I missed your fueled up last year comment.

Load her back on the trailer and get that fuel removed.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have been playing with the throttles and giving it some gas and if I baby it I can get them running at abut 3000 rpms and they start to sound normal. When I throttle back they go rough again and shut off.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf will do. How do you remove the old fuel? Now they won't start and stay on at all. Fire up and promptly die.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not the kind of guy that adds a lot of stuff to his gas but there are three things I'll swear by: Heat (or Dry-Gas, or whatever) for water in the fuel, Sta-Bil for stabilizing prior to storage and Sea-Foam for pretty much every other fuel problem under the sun. My concoction is Sta-Bil in the tank on the last run before storage (to make sure it gets to the engine). Then in the spring I dump in a can of Heat (which just might solve your problem) and a can of Sea Foam.

If I were you, I'd dump a can of Heat in there and then a can of Sea-Foam and top off the tank with fresh gas. If the problem persists, you can almost rule out fuel at that point - unless it's REALLY bad gas.

(As aside note, Sea-Foam solved a MAJOR problem I was having with the outboard on my previous boat.)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How old is the gas?

Is it still from the previous owner?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it could be a clogged fuel filters, but again it would be strange BOTH filter get clogged at the same time,

upload_2015-5-23_20-36-4.png

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
upload_2015-5-23_20-37-54.png

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How old is the gas?

Is it still from the previous owner?
Nope not that old. We bought the boat at the beginning of the season last year. Probably topped the tank off in early October before it went into storage. I did run sta-bil through it before putting it away.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmmmm.... Try spark plugs first. Start easy stuff first!

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow a 3 min. response time! Great Job Guys! I feel just a little more confident being out on the waters with you guys having my back.
Sorry I was late for the response-still working on my phone email setup.

I hope you can salvage the boat outing Stephan. Good luck and let us know if it was bad gas. I have 50 gallons of last years gas in the belly of my beast and may hook up the hoses tomorrow and run them for 10 min or so to check the quality of the gas.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I'm back home with the boat. I have put in some heat and some sea foam. I also topped off the tank with fresh gas. When I say topped off, I was surprised that it took 35 gallons. I don't think my gas gauge showed it only being 1/3 full. I'll have to look into that also. How long do I let the additives do their thing before trying to start it again? This stuff is very much out of my league, I've never been the mechanic type...so I really do appreciate you all jumping away from your grills to help me out! Much thanks indeed for this forum!

Stefan

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, I'm back home with the boat. I have put in some heat and some sea foam. I also topped off the tank with fresh gas. When I say topped off, I was surprised that it took 35 gallons. I don't think my gas gauge showed it only being 1/3 full. I'll have to look into that also. How long do I let the additives do their thing before trying to start it again? This stuff is very much out of my league, I've never been the mechanic type...so I really do appreciate you all jumping away from your grills to help me out! Much thanks indeed for this forum!

Stefan
Not much time is needed. You've driven home so it's all mixed in. I'd try it again.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It may take a few minutes for newly treated gas to get into your engine.

give it a go!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay so both engines are now starting and running. The port engine sounds quite a bit better than the sbd engine. Also, there is a lot more water coming out of what a assume to be the exhaust on the stb engine versus the port. This exhaust port is to the right of each jet nozzle and is aimed at the nozzle.