• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Both engines idle rough and then die

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you running both at the same time on the same hose?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Back to your fuel issue..... We now know that you have approximately 20 gallons of bad fuel. Hopefully, with the additives you've added, you will be able to burn off everything and won't see any more issues. I think that the fuel senders will show full or fuller than normal if water or ethanol is present.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you running both at the same time on the same hose?
Heavens no, one at a time. I may be mechanically inept, but I spend all my spare time on the forum and so I am at least well read!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The water flow difference might be that the thermostat hasn't opened yet and thus more more is passed through the exhaust.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Back to your fuel issue..... We now know that you have approximately 20 gallons of bad fuel. Hopefully, with the additives you've added, you will be able to burn off everything and won't see any more issues. I think that the fuel senders will show full or fuller than normal if water or ethanol is present.
@Murf'n'surf would you recommend that I go ahead with the plan to change the spark plugs once I get a chance to burn through this tank of fuel? That is only 2 hours at WOT!!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The water flow difference might be that the thermostat hasn't opened yet and thus more more is passed through the exhaust.
So not necessarily abnormal?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
See how it runs after another 1/2 tank of fuel. If you need them you'll notice surging in rpm's at idle and speed. You could also lose top end rpm's.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So not necessarily abnormal?
Not sure but if you are not overheating I wouldn't worry.

You could look for pinched hoses in behind the motor.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am sorry I missed out on this conversation! It was a doozie! Glad you got them running @Stefan Fromm , these guys used to amaze me, but not anymore...we have the most willing to help of anywhere I have ever seen.

I can help on one topic being discussed. The water flow from the pee holes when running an engine on the hose is irregular and unpredictable boat to boat. And the hose from the port side engine is considerably longer, making it harder for it to even show any flow at all. My '08 rarely showed any flow on the hose. Even when I would nudge the throttle to around 5K rpm to warm my oil for an oil change, I didn't get any flow from my pee holes. So I wouldn't worry about that at all. But I would damn sure want to see good flow from all of them when running at cruise on the water!

Glad you found the issue on the rough running. Now to the plug change. My fingers are crossed and I have said a prayer to the Boat Gods that the plugs come out in one piece. I guess we don't need to say how important annual spark plug changes are and the need to use anti-seize on the threads. Apparently the previous owner didn't. Also, don't use a torque wrench on them. Hand tighten with the extension but no ratchet, and then turn 1/4 to 1/2 turn more with the ratchet...and your done. They will come out easy next year. Fingers crossed!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am sorry I missed out on this conversation! It was a doozie! Glad you got them running @Stefan Fromm , these guys used to amaze me, but not anymore...we have the most willing to help of anywhere I have ever seen.

I can help on one topic being discussed. The water flow from the pee holes when running an engine on the hose is irregular and unpredictable boat to boat. And the hose from the port side engine is considerably longer, making it harder for it to even show any flow at all. My '08 rarely showed any flow on the hose. Even when I would nudge the throttle to around 5K rpm to warm my oil for an oil change, I didn't get any flow from my pee holes. So I wouldn't worry about that at all. But I would damn sure want to see good flow from all of them when running at cruise on the water!

Glad you found the issue on the rough running. Now to the plug change. My fingers are crossed and I have said a prayer to the Boat Gods that the plugs come out in one piece. I guess we don't need to say how important annual spark plug changes are and the need to use anti-seize on the threads. Apparently the previous owner didn't. Also, don't use a torque wrench on them. Hand tighten with the extension but no ratchet, and then turn 1/4 to 1/2 turn more with the ratchet...and your done. They will come out easy next year. Fingers crossed!
Hey @txav8r welcome to the party. My water flow question wasn't in relation to the pee holes but rather the exhaust port next to the jet nozzle.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's right @txav8r .... The stuck spark plug.
Try removing that stuck spark when the motor is cold. Don't over torque it! I did and had to get the head removed and repaired.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That will teach me not to speed read!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's right @txav8r .... The stuck spark plug.
Try removing that stuck spark when the motor is cold. Don't over torque it! I did and had to get the head removed and repaired.
I don't like the sounds of that.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Run your fuel out and get that problem solved before moving on to the sparks!

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Im glad it worked out. Bad gas is a PITA, specially when it comes from a fresh fill up. I have learned when to buy and when not, first when not is do not buy from Marinas that sit idle all winter, wait till the first big weekend (for me it is Mothers Day) to pass before tempting what is in their tanks. Same with gas stations, if the big truck is there refueling them, wait a good 30 min after they are done or find another station. They stir up sediment and water and if you pump while they are filling you will likely be pumping that crud into your tank.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not boat savy like you guys and am still learning a lot about my boat but I am an old car gear head... where and how are the fuel pumps arranged in these boats? Is it one submerged fuel pump in the tank or does each engine have there own pump? It sounds like a fuel problem. If he has a long clear plastic tube he could run in through the gas cap all the way into the bottom of the tank .. hold your thumb over the other end and pull it out... let it all drain out in a 5 gallon bucket and look closely at it.. you may be able to see water in the depending on how the boat and fuel are setting..

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry... I did not see page 2 and 3... I'm at my in laws for the weekend... my mind is not the same!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Stefan, I would also urge you to pull the air cleaners and look for oil on the filters. I think someone mentioned that but not sure if you have had a chance. Over filling the oil will cause some to come back up and soak the filters. It would be odd for that to happen to both engines, however.