• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brand new Hull with bubbles, paint problem ???

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Because i will always Ask myself "what's next"

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
He his waiting for Yamaha to come up with their solution to the problem.

i will put the Boat in storage in a week or two ....

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just dropped mine at the dealer today (Ontario Canada)…bubbles, but only on the starboard side chines. My boat is a 2022 FSH 210 - I picked it up in February. Dealer wanted to push off till spring, I wanted submitted immediately since it’s within the first year. It was wet slipped. Pulled it out about every 6 to 8 weeks when we went on vacation or away. Only in Lake Huron - fresh water.

Dealer is getting info to send to Yamaha. I’ll fill the group in on what they say.

Attachments

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Starting to look like a bad batch of resin, which I’d imagine would be a biotch to fix. Will be interesting to see if this shows up with the other east Tennessee manufacturers.

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It is Just bizarre that nobody in the USA seems to have this issue....

can it be Just a bad batch send to Canada... that's seems odd to me when the US 🇺🇸 have more than 10 Times our market

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It is Just bizarre that nobody in the USA seems to have this issue....

can it be Just a bad batch send to Canada... that's seems odd to me when the US 🇺🇸 have more than 10 Times our market
Might make sense if they were manf. on certain days for boats destined to Canada. No idea if they would manage their queue to destination.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Update 🤬😡🤬😡🤬 some bubbles on the white part close to the tower

i am getting more worried...
I have the same issue with the bubbles on the white part of my FSH.... It's currently been in the shop 2 weeks to repair that, a warped helm door, not tracking straight (pulls left) with more than 50% power, and port engine not turning off. That's in addition to the already replaced clean out hatch door and some exhaust hoses that either fell off or weren't ever connected.

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have the same issue with the bubbles on the white part of my FSH.... It's currently been in the shop 2 weeks to repair that, a warped helm door, not tracking straight (pulls left) with more than 50% power, and port engine not turning off. That's in addition to the already replaced clean out hatch door and some exhaust hoses that either fell off or weren't ever connected.
man your not Lucky ...

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
man your not Lucky ...
Yeah I'm hoping it's one of those get all the gremlins out now and won't have a problem again. I have had this thing in the shop more in the 6 months I owned it than the 5 years I owned my 2007 SeaDoo.

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Are you from Canada 🇨🇦 ?

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

kbell413

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm having the same issue on my 255XE. I pointed it out to the dealer in August while it was there getting some warranty work just to have it documented. It was only a small spot about 4" long with 5 - 6 bubbles. Now the issue is on two chines, both sides of the boat and runs about 10 - 12' long. I just found it all yesterday doing my end of year cleaning and have snapped pics and reached out to my dealer. Can't wait to have that conversation later today...

Attachments

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I just dropped mine at the dealer today (Ontario Canada)…bubbles, but only on the starboard side chines. My boat is a 2022 FSH 210 - I picked it up in February. Dealer wanted to push off till spring, I wanted submitted immediately since it’s within the first year. It was wet slipped. Pulled it out about every 6 to 8 weeks when we went on vacation or away. Only in Lake Huron - fresh water.

Dealer is getting info to send to Yamaha. I’ll fill the group in on what they say.
I'm having the same issue on my 255XE. I pointed it out to the dealer in August while it was there getting some warranty work just to have it documented. It was only a small spot about 4" long with 5 - 6 bubbles. Now the issue is on two chines, both sides of the boat and runs about 10 - 12' long. I just found it all yesterday doing my end of year cleaning and have snapped pics and reached out to my dealer. Can't wait to have that conversation later today...
the entire hull will need to be re done or else it will just keep happening

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Where are you from ?

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well, just heard back from the dealer:

I brought your boat in this morning and my body technician looked at the hull to make a repair estimate.
He says that what you are seeing are not bubbles in the gelcoat and they are not air voids in the fiberglass.
What we are seeing are very small defects in the mold that were not sanded out before the gelcoat was applied.
After they applied the gelcoat and when the boat was new you wouldn’t have seen that on the surface but after the boat goes into the water and stays in the water for a while and the fiberglass shrinks from the cold water then expands again when it gets hot these little defects come up.
There is no danger of bubbles popping or water getting under the gelcoat from this.
The gelcoat is hard all along these areas, it is not soft. He showed me in a couple of spots where he pushed in with a key and the surface did not deform or push in.
In his words “the surface is not perfect but none of the boats out there are perfect. Even the really expensive boats, if you look hard enough you can find defects.”

In conclusion it is not worth it to try to repair all of this for two reasons; 1 you will not gain anything with regards to the strength or quality of the boat. 2 it will be impossible to match gelcoat so you will always be able to see the repaired spots

Heisenburg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Well, just heard back from the dealer:

I brought your boat in this morning and my body technician looked at the hull to make a repair estimate.
He says that what you are seeing are not bubbles in the gelcoat and they are not air voids in the fiberglass.
What we are seeing are very small defects in the mold that were not sanded out before the gelcoat was applied.
After they applied the gelcoat and when the boat was new you wouldn’t have seen that on the surface but after the boat goes into the water and stays in the water for a while and the fiberglass shrinks from the cold water then expands again when it gets hot these little defects come up.
There is no danger of bubbles popping or water getting under the gelcoat from this.
The gelcoat is hard all along these areas, it is not soft. He showed me in a couple of spots where he pushed in with a key and the surface did not deform or push in.
In his words “the surface is not perfect but none of the boats out there are perfect. Even the really expensive boats, if you look hard enough you can find defects.”

In conclusion it is not worth it to try to repair all of this for two reasons; 1 you will not gain anything with regards to the strength or quality of the boat. 2 it will be impossible to match gelcoat so you will always be able to see the repaired spots
I don't except that especially when the dealer and yamaha says this is the first time they ever encounter this issue.

and I also do not except patch work
it's either they redo the complete hull or they give me my money back

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This defect could affect resale value so it's best to get them to repair it.

I was going to ask someone to press on it with a hard object to make sure it was a bubble, but looks like somebody already did.

It would be interesting if multiple people took close up photos of one small exact area and compare them to look for the exact same pattern on 2 boats. That would surely point the finger at a bad mold.