• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broken Driveshaft

Barbara

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe this is a first? At least I haven't seen anything like this in any posts before. Our driveshaft broke. Nothing sucked up, nothing in the impeller. It seems to be a manufacturing failure. But it sucks - no boating for a while. I hope it'll be fixed soon. 2019 AR 240

Attachments

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never seen it. Should be an easy fix though. Warranty???

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow! I don't think we've seen that,
I agree it should be an easy, straightforward fix

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's interesting. Since it's such a new boat, I wonder if more will start to pop up and what the actual cause will be, like a change in metal or an alignment issue, or something. How many hours are on this? Please keep us posted.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I believe this is a first? At least I haven't seen anything like this in any posts before. Our driveshaft broke. Nothing sucked up, nothing in the impeller. It seems to be a manufacturing failure. But it sucks - no boating for a while. I hope it'll be fixed soon. 2019 AR 240
Seems to me like a metal fatigue failure due to a material inclusion (term for foreign material within the shaft material that typically creates stress and weaken the homogeneous material of the shaft) where you can see the initiation site of the failure? I bet if you contact Yamaha and send them pictures including close ups of the 2 surfaces they would and should cover this even if outside warranty window.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wild. Yes, I do believe that is a first. At least for this board...

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Very strange where it snapped. Can you help us understand why there appears to be rust on the wear ring?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It wipes right off.

I actually ran down to help Barbara yesterday, as I thought she was describing something jammed in the impeller - figured I'd show her how to remove the jet pump to clear something stubborn. You can imagine my surprise when I pulled it off and the impeller stayed. No amount of force I could exert would remove the driveshaft from the engine, either.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I doubt the anodes can be a factor in this, but just curious what they look like since I've not seen a snapped drive shaft or rust like that on this forum. It might be something to look at for preventative reasons.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Seems to me like a metal fatigue failure due to a material inclusion (term for foreign material within the shaft material that typically creates stress and weaken the homogeneous material of the shaft) where you can see the initiation site of the failure? I bet if you contact Yamaha and send them pictures including close ups of the 2 surfaces they would and should cover this even if outside warranty window.
Agreed- You can actually see the inclusion at the fracture point, it appears to be right at the surface having caused a stress riser. You can also see the shaft was cracked for some time before it eventually failed as there is rust on a section of the fracture face.

Clearly this is a defect in the material and the fracture absolutely started during the warranty period- unfortunately it’s not a place you would see until final failure.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finally got the stubborn thing out. Took a heavy duty 3" wide ratchet strap tied to my Porsche and a whole lot of force before it flew out and whacked me in the side of the knee..

IMG_20200523_114032.jpg

IMG_20200523_114040.jpg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wow!
This is a manufacturer defect if ever there was one!
That stinks but should be a fast fix. At least the shaft itself. I want to know why the impeller was lodged too though

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@veedubtek Were the bearings in the impeller housing still good?

Last edited:

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Bearing looks great, surprisingly. I believe when the shaft broke, it forced it up into the coupler. The splines on the shaft where it connects taper off, and I think it just kinda forced it together, hence why it took so much force to remove. New shaft, impeller, and bearing on order to be safe.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bearing looks great, surprisingly. I believe when the shaft broke, it forced it up into the coupler. The splines on the shaft where it connects taper off, and I think it just kinda forced it together, hence why it took so much force to remove. New shaft, impeller, and bearing on order to be safe.
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC waxes the splines on the driveshaft prior to installing.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How's the knee, bro?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Way better than my shoulder or my back. Sucks gettin old! Beats the alternative though

BGN123

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Wow!
This is a manufacturer defect if ever there was one!
That stinks but should be a fast fix. At least the shaft itself. I want to know why the impeller was lodged too though
FYI I have a new 2021 Yamaha 275SD - the engine died and i had to have it taken to the shop. They just told me the driveshaft broke and both the driveshaft and the impeller need to be replaced. boat is brand new.