• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broken Driveshaft

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cone at the end of the shaft is filled with grease. To lubricate the intermediate bearing at the other end of the shaft you have to use the zirk fitting in the engine compartment on the the engine shaft coupler housing. See parts 4 and 11 in the attached screenshot.
I don't think they were referring to the intermediate bearing, instead they are referring to the bearings in the pump. When you remove the cone you have access to one bearing, but there is a second bearing you cant reach by removing the cone. No way to lube that one unless you press out the shaft or mix in gear oil with the grease.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It says to pack with their special grease. It does NOT flow at room temperature.. I have mixed with grease and Gear oil and opened at 1 year and at 2 years, and it looked fantastic.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
The epnoc grease yamaha uses is supposed to flow when it gets warm so it does flow through the outer bearing and into the inner bearing. Impersonally think the yamaha grease is still a little too thick. I make jet pump grease by adding gear lube to #2 bearing grease. At room temp it should barely hold on a vertical surface or very slowly move at room temp

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
@Ronnie Thanks, so there is a grease fitting. Does that also lube #5 and #8 ?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronnie Thanks, so there is a grease fitting. Does that also lube #5 and #8 ?
The grease fitting I referenced is for the intermediate bearing located on the coupler which is in the engine compartment (the front of the shaft fits into it).

The second (forward) bearing in the pump that is located at the front end/around the stator (stationary fins) is where the end of the shaft is installed and is lubricated as described by others above. That is the grease in the cone eventually warms up, becomes more viscous and oozes past the first rear bearing and onto the forward bearing. That’s the theory anyway, I have not had any problems with either bearing yet but prefer the oil bath system found on older and possibly newer seadoo pwcs, maybe on newer brp motors as well. Basically more viscous oil that you can replace or top off without having to remove the cone.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To be fair, the cone is removed for oil change, and the small hole is used to refill. The cone must come off to do the change in seadoos, but the oil bath gives the perception that the lubrication is much improved.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To be fair, the cone is removed for oil change, and the small hole is used to refill. The cone must come off to do the change in seadoos, but the oil bath gives the perception that the lubrication is much improved.
Your probably right about the cone, it’s been a long time since I worked on a seadoo. I also liked the system because it was easy to tell when the cone was full (when the oil reached the fill hole).

I recall starting a thread similar to this on the other site. It was After I got a Yamaha 230 but also while I had older 2 stroke seadoos. Some have converted to an oil bath system. I just remove the cone and inspect the grease and bearing every year or two. I only remove and repack the grease and replace the cone seal if there are signs of water contamination. So far so good, so far.

I hope everyone on this site with broken (drive) shafts gets them replaced quickly by yamaha at Yamaha’s cost. In my opinion the way big corporations are allowed to treat consumers in situations like this is morally offensive and should be criminal. The impeller had a ding in it OR the ski turned over so the warranty does not apply. On the other hand, the warranty applies but you are still out of the vehicle for weeks or months, really an undetermined amount of time. SERIOUSLY?
Two constants, how much money is due and when. end of rant.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, shaft broke in April. Now middle of July, they needed 14 parts to replace the entire pump assembly. Obviously there is a parts shortage right now, they have been waiting on the pump housing, impeller sleeve, and spacer. I call the dealer every 2 weeks when they tell me they are expecting the parts to ship, and every time they say the new ship date is whatever the date is 2 weeks in the future. Well on my call last week they tell me the new ship date is OCTOBER. I called cooperate looking for answers or at least some sort of customer service, I’m paying for a boat every month I can’t use to no fault of my own, they basically said “there is nothing we can do for you”.

All that being said, I guess I am just venting, maybe seeing if any of you guys have any ideas to get Yamaha to take some responsibility for their mistake, if there are no parts, there are no parts, but I shouldn’t be paying on a boat I can’t use and loosing depreciation on it.

Also, if anyone is interested in 2020 AR240 with 75 ish hours it will be for sale. After 20 years of being loyal to the brand I will be hard pressed to ever buy another product from them.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, shaft broke in April. Now middle of July, they needed 14 parts to replace the entire pump assembly. Obviously there is a parts shortage right now, they have been waiting on the pump housing, impeller sleeve, and spacer. I call the dealer every 2 weeks when they tell me they are expecting the parts to ship, and every time they say the new ship date is whatever the date is 2 weeks in the future. Well on my call last week they tell me the new ship date is OCTOBER. I called cooperate looking for answers or at least some sort of customer service, I’m paying for a boat every month I can’t use to no fault of my own, they basically said “there is nothing we can do for you”.

All that being said, I guess I am just venting, maybe seeing if any of you guys have any ideas to get Yamaha to take some responsibility for their mistake, if there are no parts, there are no parts, but I shouldn’t be paying on a boat I can’t use and loosing depreciation on it.

Also, if anyone is interested in 2020 AR240 with 75 ish hours it will be for sale. After 20 years of being loyal to the brand I will be hard pressed to ever buy another product from them.
I don't blame your frustration. I am pampering my boat since I figure is something big breaks, it will be game over for some time before they can get the parts. All of this is not cool at all.

The other bitch to it all is that I do see various parts at other resellers that are in stock, that Dealerships say are on back order. Other members have found this out as well. Not sure why they can't just get the parts wherever they can find them.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't blame your frustration. I am pampering my boat since I figure is something big breaks, it will be game over for some time before they can get the parts. All of this is not cool at all.

The other bitch to it all is that I do see various parts at other resellers that are in stock, that Dealerships say are on back order. Other members have found this out as well. Not sure why they can't just get the parts wherever they can find them.
I 2nd this, when my boat was back in the shop I ordered parts from an online site (Yamaha oem parts) that the dealer told me they couldn’t get for weeks. Took them in 4 days later and they finished the work. Wouldn’t hurt to look around and just have them reimburse you for them

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks for giving us an update, sad to hear the lack of concern from Yamaha, they're covering it under warranty but not concerned with a time line,

I don't blame you for leaving Yamaha but I wonder who is really any better,

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I brought that up to my dealer awhile back and posted on here. I didn’t get a straight answer but from what I gather it seems to be a “chain of custody” issue. Yamaha wants to know exactly where the parts came from for potential future warranty issues. My dealer said I was more than welcome to source parts myself but they wouldn’t be covered under warranty even if they are OEM Yamaha parts. It seems fishy as OEM Yamaha parts come with a warranty. After reading about the member on here with the 275 that had a motor blow after going outside the warranty process and not be covered, I don’t really want to mess with that.

I would like to see Yamaha deviate from their process and buy parts back from the 3rd party sellers that have them in stock and provide them for the warranty work, but I’m sure that’s just a pipe dream.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After reading about the member on here with the 275 that had a motor blow after going outside the warranty process and not be covered, I don’t really want to mess with that.
I tend to think that there is more to this situation than has been shared. Since the OP on that went dark and nothing further.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tend to think that there is more to this situation than has been shared. Since the OP on that went dark and nothing further.

You may very well be right. I seem to recall browsing the forums last year and seeing several people talk about getting different parts on their own when they were back ordered. Might be worth talking to the dealer tomorrow and seeing exactly what effect it would have on the warranty.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
well remember that your dealer isnt going to want you to do that because now they arent making the money on the parts

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Give em a small market and see what happens?? Trying times require some out of the box thinking.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
funny, when i was younger i worked for a mercury/mercruiser dealership. people would come in with their own parts and the owner would literally scream at them then throw them out and not to come back. he would ask/yell at them, do you go into a restaurant and bring your own steak and ask them to cook it for you. mechanic/service shops hate when a customer brings their own parts they bought somewhere else. its a real no no. this situation is of course different because the dealer cant get you the parts but believe me they will still have that mindset.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mrcleanr6 But they got to be hurting a bit too. Can't collect that warranty money if they can't get parts. It is not our problem that Yamaha and their dealers are more worried about the process which they can't seem to figure out than customer satisfaction. People paying for boats that they can't use because of crappy quality, parts and construction. Not a good look at all. Yamaha and Dealers should be bending over backwards to help people whom own their products. Anything less right now is not right.