• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broken Driveshaft

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
O
You may very well be right. I seem to recall browsing the forums last year and seeing several people talk about getting different parts on their own when they were back ordered. Might be worth talking to the dealer tomorrow and seeing exactly what effect it would have on the warranty.
You could ask your dealer if they can do some sort of part swap with the online sellers/dealers that do have the parts

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
funny, when i was younger i worked for a mercury/mercruiser dealership. people would come in with their own parts and the owner would literally scream at them then throw them out and not to come back. he would ask/yell at them, do you go into a restaurant and bring your own steak and ask them to cook it for you. mechanic/service shops hate when a customer brings their own parts they bought somewhere else. its a real no no. this situation is of course different because the dealer cant get you the parts but believe me they will still have that mindset.

I’m not to educated on the Yamaha warranty process but the impression I got is they aren’t making any money on warranty parts. Yamaha approves the warranty work, ships the dealer the parts from Yamaha warehouse, and reimburses the dealer for the labor.

I could see why a shop would want YOU to buy parts through them, as there is money to be made.

Interesting side note, doing some online searching, apparently that ship that got sideways and blocked the Suez Cannel, and was impounded by Egyptian authorities, had a boat load (pun intended) of Yamaha marine products/parts.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m not to educated on the Yamaha warranty process but the impression I got is they aren’t making any money on warranty parts. Yamaha approves the warranty work, ships the dealer the parts from Yamaha warehouse, and reimburses the dealer for the labor.

I could see why a shop would want YOU to buy parts through them, as there is money to be made.

Interesting side note, doing some online searching, apparently that ship that got sideways and blocked the Suez Cannel, and was impounded by Egyptian authorities, had a boat load (pun intended) of Yamaha marine products/parts.
In general, client-supplied parts are not warrantied by dealers/installers. I guess this is a bit of a special case, but still.

Frankly, I don't think Yamaha cares much about you, and your boat... I know, shocking, lol.

--

Coryd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I brought that up to my dealer awhile back and posted on here. I didn’t get a straight answer but from what I gather it seems to be a “chain of custody” issue. Yamaha wants to know exactly where the parts came from for potential future warranty issues. My dealer said I was more than welcome to source parts myself but they wouldn’t be covered under warranty even if they are OEM Yamaha parts. It seems fishy as OEM Yamaha parts come with a warranty. After reading about the member on here with the 275 that had a motor blow after going outside the warranty process and not be covered, I don’t really want to mess with that.

I would like to see Yamaha deviate from their process and buy parts back from the 3rd party sellers that have them in stock and provide them for the warranty work, but I’m sure that’s just a pipe dream.
I'd call bullshit on that. If it's a brand new Yamaha-manufactured OEM part and the part matches the part number listed on the work order that the dealer had to generate for the warranty claim, it shouldn't make a damn bit of difference who sourced that part, whether it be you or the dealer's parts department. I was in a similar situation earlier this year where I was waiting on backordered parts for some warranty work and I found the parts on Partzilla.com, purchased them, took them to the dealer, and they finished the work. They reimbursed me for the parts and reassured me that there would be no issues with future warranty claims by me sourcing some of the parts myself.

TexAg2010

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Haven’t yet had my truck dealer balk at me supplying my own OEM parts and appropriate oil (sourced way cheaper than dealer price) for regular maintenance, paying them for the shop hours to do the job. Not that they like it, but they’re still getting my money for the work. Never a comment or concern about warranty effects. I realize this case has unique variables including being warranty repair vs planned maintenance, but would really appreciate hearing the Yamaha justification for chain of custody concerns compared to other boat MFGs or the auto industry. Mostly just sorry you’re in this position and I hope it gets better much sooner than October!

Krushanpatel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I believe this is a first? At least I haven't seen anything like this in any posts before. Our driveshaft broke. Nothing sucked up, nothing in the impeller. It seems to be a manufacturing failure. But it sucks - no boating for a while. I hope it'll be fixed soon. 2019 AR 240
Same thing happened to us on 2020 242 SE. did Yamaha cover it under warranty?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@veedubtek Were the parts for Barbara‘s boat covered under warranty?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Same thing happened to us on 2020 242 SE. did Yamaha cover it under warranty?
veedubtek fixed Barbara’s boat… think it’s on page one of this thread.