• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

broken trailer part

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I twisted the wheel on my trailer, can I just replace the wheel? I don't think the leg is bent, what do you guys think?

[/URL][/IMG]

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It seems I may have to buy the entire tongue jack? If that is the case, does anyone sell an upgrade as this one was pretty lame....

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There are a lot of those available, just about any boat supply outlet even harbor freight sells a couple different types of trailer tongue jacks.

Last edited:

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So the tongue jack is pretty universal? I can't just replace the wheel, I just replace the entire part correct?

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I just replaced mine last week with a harbor freight wheel. Much better then the factory plastic wheel. Rolls a lot easier. One bolt 5 min replacement. Perfect fit. Much stronger wheel.

Basically just remove the new wheel from the metal frame and replace the trailer wheel.

If you have any questions let me know.

https://m.harborfreight.com/6-in-rubber-heavy-duty-rigid-caster-61647.html

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They are not universal.
You can just replace the wheel.
Cold but clear, your current jack looks like shit. In addition to the busted wheel it is leaning a lot more than I would be comfortable with. If it fails it could leave you in a bad situation and/or cause a life changing injury.

I am surprised it is in poor condition since it is very new being on a 2016 trailer. I would replace the whole thing. Just make sure that the mount on the new jack is the same as on the current jack or relocate the jack with U-bolts/have a new mounting plate welded on.

Last edited:

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, sounds good.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think that jack is kaput, as @Ronnie already pointed out. I would not want to mess with it, just replace the whole thing. I don't know how easy it is to access the bolts that attach it to the frame.

Unfortunately, I think we have a bigger problem with those new 240/242 boat/trailer combo setup, those trailers are way too tongue heavy from the factory.

This was initially pointed out by @Neutron, and subsequently some here (including myself) moved the bow stop back on the trailer, I think at least 5+ inches is a minimum and it makes it possible to move the trailer around at all. I could not, and would not, move mine around beforehand - dreading the scenario you are experiencing.

--

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can't tell, I would call etrailer to discuss it with them. They have provided me with pre-purchase phone support before.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think that jack is kaput, as @Ronnie already pointed out. I would not want to mess with it, just replace the whole thing. I don't know how easy it is to access the bolts that attach it to the frame.

Unfortunately, I think we have a bigger problem with those new 240/242 boat/trailer combo setup, those trailers are way too tongue heavy from the factory.

This was initially pointed out by @Neutron, and subsequently some here (including myself) moved the bow stop back on the trailer, I think at least 5+ inches is a minimum and it makes it possible to move the trailer around at all. I could not, and would not, move mine around beforehand - dreading the scenario you are experiencing.

--
Wasn't there another reason you guys moved the bow stop also, the carpeted bunks hung out beyond the transom, picking up grit that would scratch the hull. If I recall correctly?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wasn't there another reason you guys moved the bow stop also, the carpeted bunks hung out beyond the transom, picking up grit that would scratch the hull. If I recall correctly?
Yes, but the bigger issue is weight distribution. General boat trailer recommendations are to keep the tongue weight at 5-10%, Shorlander manual calls for 5-7%, but the 2015+ 240 tongue weight exceeds those ratings by several fold. Moving the bow post back makes the trailer ride, turn, and brake easier and improves overall handing (safer).
Loading is also easier, but that is not really an issue.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Michael Rasmussen thanks for posting, this is a good warning.

I considered exchanging the jack in my trailer because it felt really flimsy. After moving the bow stop, I don't feel it is a pressing issue anymore.

In the meantime, with the factory settings, I would not want to move the trailer with the trailer jack fully extended, I think that is asking for trouble.

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I could see the bind on the jack before i moved mine and even on my extremely smooth driveway i couldn't roll the trailer without a ton of force and i could see it was going to trash the jack.
Now i can move it easily

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree with everyone else and would ditch the crappy stock jack. I move my trailer a lot in and out of the garage and driveway, even on my first season I could tell the jack wasn't going to be up to the task for long term use. It just is the bare minimum product they put on them at Shoreland'r. My garage also has a 1" lip and I am very mindful to not have the jack extended because it seems like it could snap like a twig if I looked at it funny.

I'd love to get one of those awesome Trailer Valet jacks so I can use mechanical advantage to save my body from wear and tear pushing around several thousands of pounds. I know a couple of you guys on here use these and have had positive comments on them. They look heavy duty and come with dual wheels and pneumatic tires for traction on pretty much any surface, even gravel. They ain't cheap but they would pay for themselves if you move your trailer by yourself a lot like I do. I couldn't imagine doing it on a 24' 242 by myself all the time with the stock jack.

Last edited:

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My 19', no problem I can move that thing all over the place. The 24', I can't move an INCH lol.

I have to perfectly line up the hitch to attack the trailer.

I would say for anyone with this type of tongue jack, replace it, looking at my pics I can't believe how flimsy and cheap that thing looks. As Swatski has said, if we move the bow stop back, this would relieve some of the issues, and I may try that this summer.

First item on the plan is to replace that crappy jack, the fulton f2 look really nice, but we've been warned. I may just get the harbor freight jack if its available locally, if not, I will call etrailers and get the best one I can get that fits.

The trailer valet does look awesome, that is something that would stay around the house to move trailers, if you bring it with you, it looks like it is easy to steal.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with everyone else and would ditch the crappy stock jack. i move my trailer a lot in and out of the garage and driveway and even on my first season I could tell the jack wasn't going to be up to the task for long term use. It just is the bare minimum product they put on them at Shoreland'r.

I'd love to get one of those awesome Trailer Valet jacks so I can use mechanical advantage to save my body from wear and tear pushing around several thousands of pounds. I know a couple of you guys on here use these and have had positive comments on them. They look heavy duty and come with dual wheels and pneumatic tires for traction on pretty much any surface, even gravel. They ain't cheap but they would pay for themselves if you move your trailer by yourself a lot like I do. I couldn't imagine doing it on a 24' 242 by myself all the time with the stock jack.

I'm not sure it works quite like that. For example, I managed to completely trash one of those Trailer Valets within 2 min of trying to move my 240 in my driveway (pretty flat /paved aggregate concrete).

That was right after the purchase, before I completed the bow stop push-back mod.

Back then, I returned the broken (and badly misshapen) Trailer Valet, in person, with pictures of the boat and trailer and factory/dealer documentation in hand - thinking I was within the ratings of the TV and just got a dud of a Valet. But now that I think about it, I probably (inadvertently) grossly exceeded Trailer Valet ratings (is it a 1,000lbs?) and my return should not have been accepted.

IDK.

--

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
what do you guys think is the minimum weight we should purchase for a jack? I don't see much over 1800lbs for a marine application. There are electric ones with a flat bottom for 600, look awesome, but probably doesn't like water.

still thinking this looks like a winner, and really great price
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/MaxxTow/MT70149.html